Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm really honest, the way things are going I'm starting to move into the camp of wanting to arm up myself.

It's not because I think I'd stop a mass shooting, but there's a lot of instability. Society is breaking down in some ways. It's been a slow rot.

Just my thoughts.

That said, in this country it's also one's right to have a gun, and if I have the money for guns, may as well have some.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
      Mass shooters would just get the guns illegally anyway

It doesn't matter

it won't be impossible, but it will become a hell of a lot more difficult and risky. automatic weapons are all but unheard of in certain parts of the world. costs more, involves a deeper level of illegality, a greater risk all around. something is wrong and has to be done. it's not like people with assault weapons stop this kind of thing. the rest of the world has done it, and it's worked. it's time for us to follow suit.

there has not been a mass shooting in australia since 96, when assault rifles were banned, and guns were bought on a large scale by the government. let that sink in. they havent had a mass shooting in 20 years since the ban. if you're looking for evidence that assualut weapon bans and other regulations work to reduce mass shootings, you have there the best example of it.

in the UK there was a similar buyback program and new set of regs, and gun crimes dropped be 65%. mass shootings are way down as well.

no piece of legislation is perfect. and yeah, people will still be able to get guns. but it iwll make it more difficult, and research has shown that it reduces the amount of gun violence, and certainly the amount of mass shootings.

what function do assault rifles serve, anyway? they're not practical for self defense. they're optimal for committing crimes and fighting wars, and the gun-hoarding nutcases all know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
        If I'm really honest, the way things are going I'm starting to move into the camp of wanting to arm up myself.

It's not because I think I'd stop a mass shooting, but there's a lot of instability. Society is breaking down in some ways. It's been a slow rot.

Just my thoughts.

That said, in this country it's also one's right to have a gun, and if I have the money for guns, may as well have some.

you wouldn't give up that right for the net benefit of everybody? that's really the only argument that i'm hearing that is coherent and honest. i still think it's gross. "i don't want to give up my guns to reduce the likelyhood that this happens again." i'm not hearing reasons for why they don't want to give up guns, just that they want to keep their guns.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          you wouldn't give up that right for the net benefit of everybody? that's really the only argument that i'm hearing that is coherent and honest. i still think it's gross. "i don't want to give up my guns to reduce the likelyhood that this happens again." i'm not hearing reasons for why they don't want to give up guns, just that they want to keep their guns.
          I don't have any guns and am not against stronger gun regulations.

I'm also a realist and i now that there is no simple political fix to this problem.

Comment

there has not been a mass shooting in australia since 96, when assault rifles were banned, and guns were bought on a large scale by the government. let that sink in. they havent had a mass shooting in 20 years since the ban.
            False.

There have been 4, actually.

if you're looking for evidence that assualut weapon bans and other regulations work to reduce mass shootings, you have there the best example of it.
            As we just found out, that is false.

So no, gun bans do not stop mass shootings.

Comment

The reason is 2nd Amendment and why it was put in the Constitution in the first place.

Are you aware of why the Founders out it in there?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                False.

There have been 4, actually.

As we just found out, that is false.

So no, gun bans do not stop mass shootings.

what are they? the asian kid? only killed two people, one of whom was his main target, and that doesn't fit the definition the feds use for a mass shooting.

so yes, they do stop mass shootings. look at the data for yourself and look at the gigantic difference in frequency and how many people were killed before and after the ban.

find the numbers and post them here to prove that you actually know what you're talking about. how many gun deaths and mass shootings in Australia int he 2 decades before the 96 ban, and how many in the two decades after?

look it up and post it here.

and stop looking at videos of underage girls while you're at it. if you're looking out for the best interest of the people who live in this country and need protecting you can at least start with that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                  The reason is 2nd Amendment and why it was put in the Constitution in the first place.

Are you aware of why the Founders out it in there?

you were already proven to have never even read the thing after having been contradicted literally by the first amendment. i could see a little pleb like you getting tripped up on an amendment further into the thing, because you know, reading is hard!

but no, you were bodied by the first f#cking line

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
                    I don't have any guns and am not against stronger gun regulations.

I'm also a realist and i now that there is no simple political fix to this problem.

why does it matter that there is no simple fix?

Comment

Yea I learned that to don't allow American white get assault rifles

Comment

Working...
                      X