No announcement yet.

Any jazzheads on Boxingscene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
    Anyone a jazz fan here? Any genre, it doesn't matter. It's all jazz music.
    I'm guessing from your article on Honey Boy, that you are a Miles Davis fan.

I'd love to say I was more of a fan than I am. I really like hearing it and it makes so many movie soundtracks so much better without a doubt. I've seen the Clint Eastwood(a huge jazz fan) biopic about Charlie Parker. That kind had a short life and was very talented for sure.

I've looked up some Chet Baker and some of the other old guys. I love the music but haven't studied it enough to be a connoisseur by any means. Put up some jazz vids on this thread and I'll check them out for sure. Love to relax to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WarHagler View Post
      Does A tribe called quest count ?
      Try some Bill Cosby Jazz

Comment

I have hours of instrumental jazz compilations which I know nothing of in terms of artists or titles. I just youtube jazz to relax, or jazz to sleep, and then jazz compilations that are like 1 hour, 3 hours pop up, I download them entirely and play them on shuffle to sleep, when I wake up it's still playing. I've been doing this since I had a Sony walkman when I was a child, I would put the Jazz radio station and fall asleep listening to it, it's now a habit. I can tell you I remember since back when I was 9 i've been doing this.

But after all these years I still don't actually know names or titles of Jazz songs I enjoy. Been listening to Jazz everyday for like 20 years and I couldn't sit down and have a conversation about jazz with a jazz-head lol. I do not listen to vocal jazz songs, they disrupt the purpose for which I listen to them, which is just to relax my mind and mellow me out, put me to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          I have hours of instrumental jazz compilations which I know nothing of in terms of artists or titles. I just youtube jazz to relax, or jazz to sleep, and then jazz compilations that are like 1 hour, 3 hours pop up, I download them entirely and play them on shuffle to sleep, when I wake up it's still playing. I've been doing this since I had a Sony walkman when I was a child, I would put the Jazz radio station and fall asleep listening to it, it's now a habit. I can tell you I remember since back when I was 9 i've been doing this.

But after all these years I still don't actually know names or titles of Jazz songs I enjoy. Been listening to Jazz everyday for like 20 years and I couldn't sit down and have a conversation about jazz with a jazz-head lol. I do not listen to vocal jazz songs, they disrupt the purpose for which I listen to them, which is just to relax my mind and mellow me out, put me to sleep.
          Well don't hold out fam, link us some of your favorite playlists/compilations
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 08-21-2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
            Yeah, mainly, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane. Check this out amazing

Probably my favourite tune

I havent heard a lot of Alice's work but i remember that i loved that jurney in satchiwanda or whatever tune. I used to listen to sun ra, pharoah sanders, thelonious and ahmad jamal. Nowdays im not as much into jazz and the music in general as i used to be when i was younger, i'm listening to rock mostly, but i still love to listen to miles davis and coltrane. They have always been my favorites. Although critically acclaimed, i always felt like davis' electric miles phase is unerappreciated by a lot of jazz fans, sure is a whole different sound from his earlier work but *****es brew and jack johnson are amazing albums to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              I love all of those guys. Sun Ra is absolutely amazing. Hard bop is a personal favorite as far as genres go but I legitimately dig all of it. I've recently really gotten into Eric Dolphy, Ron Carter (the work he does on his own) and Fela Kuti and his afrobeat stuff.
              Love me some Fela Kuti. I got 4-5 of his albums. I'm really not the best at picking out what is hard bop, or bebop, or post bop or all of that, but I love it all. There is a jazz bar in my city since the University here has one of the top 10 jazz programs in the country. So I usually go there and talk to the professors about all of it after their sets are over. You like Fusion at all?

Comment

Up until a few years ago, my main work was as a Jazz session guitarist, but mostly studio work. A lot of it was Bebop, Fusion, and Gypsy Jazz.

I learned Jazz guitar since 6 or 7 years old but wouldn't actually consider myself a big fan of Jazz. I can just play it well. The other Jazz musicians were usually surprised that most of my favourite music is kind of indie music or psychedelic rock and lots of different types of electronic music and i'm not a massive fan of Jazz. Lot of snobbery in that scene. I do enjoy it still once in a while though. Maybe for a week every year that's all i'll listen to, but then that's enough for me. I suppose playing it for a job for a few years made me grow tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanTosic View Post
                  I havent heard a lot of Alice's work but i remember that i loved that jurney in satchiwanda or whatever tune.
                  Yeah that's a great tune, this one off that same album aswell, amazing strings

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                    Up until a few years ago, my main work was as a Jazz session guitarist, but mostly studio work. A lot of it was Bebop, Fusion, and Gypsy Jazz.

I learned Jazz guitar since 6 or 7 years old but wouldn't actually consider myself a big fan of Jazz. I can just play it well. The other Jazz musicians were usually surprised that most of my favourite music is kind of indie music or psychedelic rock and lots of different types of electronic music and i'm not a massive fan of Jazz. Lot of snobbery in that scene. I do enjoy it still once in a while though. Maybe for a week every year that's all i'll listen to, but then that's enough for me. I suppose playing it for a job for a few years made me grow tired of it.
                    Did you get to work with any of the big name players? Regardless that's an awesome gig to have!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
                      Love me some Fela Kuti. I got 4-5 of his albums. I'm really not the best at picking out what is hard bop, or bebop, or post bop or all of that, but I love it all. There is a jazz bar in my city since the University here has one of the top 10 jazz programs in the country. So I usually go there and talk to the professors about all of it after their sets are over. You like Fusion at all?
                      Yeah, man. Fela Kuti is phenomenal. Truly is. His work blows my mind. I haven't branched out from him yet to explore the genre further but I will because I've there were many other great artists doing things along the same lines as he does.

I really dig on Herbie Han****'s fusion material and Chick Corea produced tons of great fusion stuff and a lot of that stuff that Dizzy Gillespie was doing with Pozo is great. I mean I consider fusion but it's probably borderline as well as some of the stuff Bird did with Machito is great too. However, I think my absolute favorite is the one most people claim as well and that's the Jack Johnson recordings from Miles Davis. Some of those times defy adequate description in my opinion.

Of course a lot of my boys keep telling me about Tribal Tech and those kinds of groups but I have not delved into deep enough, as of yet, to form a true opinion of it. What I've heard I've really liked though.

Comment

Working...
                      X