Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sports (if any) did you play growing up, and...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Szef View Post
    Football - I've played since I was a child and still do to this day, usually once a week for 2 hours with my boys.

Handball - i doubt any of you knows what it is (except maybe the scandinavian posters), but it's a great and physically very demanding sport. I played in a Semi pro club since i was 14, stopped when I was 22. Visited half of Europe with my team competing in tourneys etc. My favourite team sport, hands down.

Also played volleyball and basketball but I was never serious about them... Even if i was, im a white boy and we cant jump so...

I also wanted to go to a speedway school in my town when I was 15 but mom didn't even wanna hear about it
    The bold made me smile. Playing sport with a parent is such an underrated activity. Just to have a good time and bond. Good on you.

I actually am familiar with handball. It looks like it requires a hell of a lot of stamina, dude. Is there no place you could pick it up again? Are you based in Europe or America?

Originally posted by RightJab View Post
    Played rugby union, school, city, county, north England, England trial (failed, by quite a bit). Was good, got on Newcastle Falcons Academy's books. I started at 8 which helped.

Karate from 6 (its in the family) until 18, competed quite a bit, point scoring stuff, not real, still a decent hustle for a couple hours a week though. Was appeasing family but didn't mind it. I am setting my own classes up in the new year next year, groundwork has been set. So that childhood sport has turned out handy if I can acquire funds out of it.

I captained the athletics team consistently, got on to county and regional teams for shot put, javelin and 4x100m relay (fukin loved a relay, i'd love one now!) I MISS RELAYS!

Rugby dominated it all for me though, 8-21yrs I must have played 2-5x a week that whole time. Rugby changed my life, it gave me the tools I needed, it made me who I am today, BECOME A CITIZEN TODAY JOIN NOW!

Would you like to know more?
    For sure man, I'm always keen to know more about people. I had absolutely no talent for rugby. I'm a fairly big dude, and athletically inclined, but **** me did I suck at it. I actually live next door to a rugby player, and the people in the building always ask if I'm a teammate of his.

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    aha wow yeah im nowhere near that level, just high local/regional standard best i could get to, was just under semi pro when younger then slacked it off. Its going good, enjoying it, playing centre mid now so got to get much fitter but thats coming across well! Thanks for asking man.
    That's really good to hear dude, but ****, you may not be near that level, but don't sell yourself short.

Look at Jamie Vardy. Dude made it big at ****ing 28, and now he's in the England squad. Just put in the graft, and become as good as you can be with the facilities and coaches that are available.

And CM really needs that stamina. You box-to-box, or do you sit and spray the passes?

Comment

Originally posted by P.K Dionysus View Post
      Damn, you were a distance runner? Did the tie a bottle of beer to a stick that dangled overhead and force you to chase after it?

Also, what position you play?

Hats off to you. Do you have any aspirations to perhaps train some dude to go pro?
      No, it is very time consuming and difficult to find someone who is willing to make that sort of commitment to their training and lifestyle. The number one distraction I had to contend with was girlfriends/wives of fighters. I used to spar with a pro in California, and he would agree to get in some sparring with some of our better amateurs. He could have been a good WW but he had too many distractions with his girlfriend/fiancé at the time and it messed up his head. He wasn't training properly and she was pressuring him to spend more time with her. The wrong girl will **** up your career if you let her.

This is why old time trainers used to spread the myth that women weaken legs. They knew it was BS but they pumped that into a fighter's head because they knew that girlfriends meant distractions, and they wanted their fighters to train with the clear head and fully committed.

Comment

I used to play street handball. Not a sport most people would know about I guess, but it's popular in NYC where I grew up. Now that was something I was really good at.. but it's been years since I was in the shape to play in any competitive capacity. EDIT: Not to be confused with team handball, which I hear is fairly popular in Europe.

Also I used to run mid and long distance track. The most impressive run I had was a sub 5:30 mile, which isn't exactly fast enough to have gone pro . I probably could have cut it down to under 5 if I kept at it, but I'd never have been seriously competitive in any major sense.
        Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

The bold made me smile. Playing sport with a parent is such an underrated activity. Just to have a good time and bond. Good on you.

I actually am familiar with handball. It looks like it requires a hell of a lot of stamina, dude. Is there no place you could pick it up again? Are you based in Europe or America?

For sure man, I'm always keen to know more about people. I had absolutely no talent for rugby. I'm a fairly big dude, and athletically inclined, but **** me did I suck at it. I actually live next door to a rugby player, and the people in the building always ask if I'm a teammate of his.

That's really good to hear dude, but ****, you may not be near that level, but don't sell yourself short.

Look at Jamie Vardy. Dude made it big at ****ing 28, and now he's in the England squad. Just put in the graft, and become as good as you can be with the facilities and coaches that are available.

And CM really needs that stamina. You box-to-box, or do you sit and spray the passes?
          holding mid/anchor, so i do all the dirty work! not too bad on the ball for that position but ive always been more defensive than attacking.

Comment

By boys i meant my friends lol, I don't have children.

Europe. I quit it because I had a 4 months lay off due to a broken hand, then went to college. Now I'm 28 so I doubt I'll make a come back lol.

Comment

Football
              British Bulldog
              Tracking/acky
              SlapBoxing
              Knuckles
              Knock door run
              Cut the electric off and run

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                I used to play street handball. Not a sport most people would know about I guess, but it's popular in NYC where I grew up. Now that was something I was really good at.. but it's been years since I was in the shape to play in any competitive capacity. EDIT: Not to be confused with team handball, which I hear is fairly popular in Europe.

Also I used to run mid and long distance track. The most impressive run I had was a sub 5:30 mile, which isn't exactly fast enough to have gone pro . I probably could have cut it down to under 5 if I kept at it, but I'd never have been seriously competitive in any major sense.
                Dude played fxckin netball hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by *TonyMontana* View Post
                  Dude played fxckin netball hahaha
                  What's netball ?
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    No, it is very time consuming and difficult to find someone who is willing to make that sort of commitment to their training and lifestyle. The number one distraction I had to contend with was girlfriends/wives of fighters. I used to spar with a pro in California, and he would agree to get in some sparring with some of our better amateurs. He could have been a good WW but he had too many distractions with his girlfriend/fiancé at the time and it messed up his head. He wasn't training properly and she was pressuring him to spend more time with her. The wrong girl will **** up your career if you let her.

This is why old time trainers used to spread the myth that women weaken legs. They knew it was BS but they pumped that into a fighter's head because they knew that girlfriends meant distractions, and they wanted their fighters to train with the clear head and fully committed.
                    Well, this I can totally understand. Such a shame, because it really is true that the wrong girl **** it all up.

You still training soldiers?

Comment

Well, this I can totally understand. Such a shame, because it really is true that the wrong girl **** it all up.

You still training soldiers?
                      I have been asked to assist a local coach at the military installation where I work, but he hasn't started up his program yet. It was active for a while but they did away with the boxing program for a few years. They are slowly bringing it back. I may assist as needed but not as heavily as I did when I was still active duty.

Comment

Working...
                      X