Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna Inherit $400K. Where Should I Move?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sup View Post
    He already stated that he doesn't want to live around Mexicans.
    Lmao well damn than that wont work. There are a lot of white Americans & Canadians that live down there tho. A dollar especially right now goes a long way.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
      Honestly...I don't think you have this figured out. You can't work legally in the US without residency...you can be an unemployed snowbird if you choose for 6 months but snowbirds don't work. Moving somewhere new that you have never even been to and thinking that you will just buy a house and settle is unrealistic. You will find yourself feeling really unstable pretty soon...especially without legal status to work. At first it may be a bit exciting...then the reality of being more or less alone (except for your girl) in a place you have no roots/familiarity or legal means of income will become a little overwhelming and then there is you girlfriends ability to deal with all that as well (women tend to be more emotional and need security more than then men...next thing you know she's gone). You'd have no idea where you want to even buy that house before a year. I've lived in different places and have been through this. To me this sounds like a dream for you at this stage that could possibly become a nightmare. I think your just a bit excited right now over having some new options in life. Opportunities like this come maybe once in a lifetime...think things out because money has a way of vanishing quickly when you're not thinking clear...and no offense...but you sound like you have no idea yet about this. Moving somewhere new is a big thing...and it doesn't require being a home owner to make it work...and having a home is still far from a guarantee that it will. You need a realistic plan to make a life for yourself pretty quick after relocating...not after having a kid in a few years which won't really help you get residency anyways and you'd never last a few years anyways. You need to cool the fire in your pants and do some more research...and speak with a US immigration lawyer.

oh yes I do. i just didn't want to go into detail. I have 2 Torontonian friends with their own businesses in LA and 1 in NYC.

They are perfectly fine with going along with the visa application for me.

The isolation thing you brought up is interesting too for anyone else .... the thing is neither me nor my girl are close with our family. so we've already thought about that. it's a very interesting dynamic in our lives. all we have are each other. been like that our entire relationship. that also makes our bond a lot closer.

so I'm not worried about that either.

Comment

• go to a third world country and live like a king.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
          oh yes I do. i just didn't want to go into detail. I have 2 Torontonian friends with their own businesses in LA and 1 in NYC.

They are perfectly fine with going along with the visa application for me.

The isolation thing you brought up is interesting too for anyone else .... the thing is neither me nor my girl are close with our family. so we've already thought about that. it's a very interesting dynamic in our lives. all we have are each other. been like that our entire relationship. that also makes our bond a lot closer.

so I'm not worried about that either.
          That's cool...but you need to meet certain criteria for a green card...ie: professional designation or expanding a business into the US which employs a certain amount of Americans in a particular designated field. Unless your friends can prove your talents are crucial and unavailable by an American I doubt your friends will be able to help with that...but good luck.

Having each other is good but I'm talking about having a sense of history and connection to where you are...long term friends and acquaintances. A house won't give you any of that. I don't mean to take the wind out of your dream...but I see this all the time. People move here every day at a crazy rate/volume...a lot of them can't deal with the realities of relocation and and go back home...and until you experience it you have no idea what that means. It takes many years before you feel at home. Not that it doesn't happen...it did for me but it takes time and I didn't have to deal with any complications of immigration here. And yes I did try things in a couple of other countries as well including the US.

BTW...your 500K CDN...is not 400K US. It's 375K...but what's 25K anyways...easy come easy go. It's not a good time to be buying US with CDN dollars. Your 500K CDN in Vancouver real estate will be worth over a million in probably less than or about a decade and eventually the CDN dollar will gain on the US quite a bit. So your 375K US will be closer to a million US in say a decade. 5 years ago when the CDN was higher than the US dollar would have been the time...not now. I'd wait but that's just me.
          Last edited by jaded; 04-10-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X