Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to get the street rod inspected. That's always fun...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
    I don't consider an '07 Mustang to be a street rod lol.
    Just a generic term. I use it to describe my car since it's not a daily driver. It doesn't infer performance, mods, age, etc.

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
    It's weird that an all motor tune for a stock 4.6 with bolt ons made it not pass the smog test. That had to be a junk tune lol. Murillo doesn't run a mod motor so why get a tune there anyway?
    It has cams. So it's more than a bolt on car. Short of head work or going forced induction (or pulleys, but they aren't worth the $$$), it's got all the mods you can put on that engine.

You have to tune those cars when do any of the following; cold air intake, each individual exhaust mod, cams, head work, or forced induction. If you don't you'll throw a CEL and possibly damage it.

I also have 4:10 gears on it (but those don't affect inspection, so I didn't list those). You can account for those in a tune so the speedometer is not off. My tune does that.

Murillo's tune didn't throw a CEL, so it wasn't junk. It just did not pass. I didn't want to get too detailed, but he gave me TWO tunes. One for driving, one for inspection. I know how to load tunes, and I loaded the inspection tune for the inspection I failed. Funny thing is, it threw a CEL on the way home after the fail. It read a bad right rear O2 sensor. Murillo had installed a new right rear O2 sensor, despite it not having a CEL when it drove in. Do the math.....

Murillo is a master of the pushrod 302 5.0s from the 80s-90s. Few are better than him on those motors. I assumed he would be good on the modern Mustang engines, and he didn't have a bad rep on forums I was on. I assumed wrong.

Like I said to the other guy, I love this topic so feel free to share any info.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
      Not at all. It's nowhere near the fastest car around, and since the 5.0s came out its a previous generation muscle car. It's still a ton of fun though.

It was about the healthy dose of Kharma that got served up, actually. I love hearing stories about that. So I decided to share a good one.

That, and a warning to other car guys to avoid Murillo.

My car passed today, btw.
      I love muscle Cars. I got a '66 mustang in the barn that's been in there for the last 20 years. There's an engine in it that don't work but I have always wanted to restore it. One day I will. My retirement gift.

In my early twenties I had a '67 Berracuda. It was badass until i got hit and totalled it.

Comment

Not gonna lie. I read the title and I legitimately thought "street rod" was a weird slang term for c0ck and I thought this was gonna be a story about how he got his "street rod" tested for an STD.

I'm sadly disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
          I love muscle Cars. I got a '66 mustang in the barn that's been in there for the last 20 years. There's an engine in it that don't work but I have always wanted to restore it. One day I will. My retirement gift.

In my early twenties I had a '67 Berracuda. It was badass until i got hit and totalled it.
          What motor does it have? The 289?

My '65 had a 289. It was pretty much stock, but it had a true dual exhaust and a shift kit on it.

There's some really good Mustang forums out there when you decide to restore it. I've gotten tons of good info off car forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            Always thought Texas was more lenient than here in Commiefornia when it came to emission/smog stuff, but I guess it's a county thing with 1bad.
            That's about it.

We have a State inspection every car must pass. Things like making sure the lights and turn signals work, the horn works, tire tread check, insurance is up to date, etc.

Emissions is optional and done through counties. Most (or all) of the counties with big cities in them do emissions. Austin is in Travis County, and they do emissions. The rural counties typically don't require emissions testing.

If your car is registered in an emissions county, you can only get it inspected in an emissions country. You cant simply take it to a non-emissions county.

Comment

What motor does it have? The 289?

My '65 had a 289. It was pretty much stock, but it had a true dual exhaust and a shift kit on it.

There's some really good Mustang forums out there when you decide to restore it. I've gotten tons of good info off car forums.
              Its a 289. I had bought it years ago with the thinking of restoring it at the time. It didnt run and the guy i bought it off off said the motor can be rebuilt to keep it all original. One of these days i want to restore it, but fuk I have zero time to put the energy into it. What I need to do is just hand it over and pay someone to restore it, which wont be cheap but i will do that one day. Its just right now my money is needed in other places at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
                In case anyone wants the cliff notes, the OP just wanted to brag about his car.
                With a Stang?......

Comment

Its a 289. I had bought it years ago with the thinking of restoring it at the time. It didnt run and the guy i bought it off off said the motor can be rebuilt to keep it all original. One of these days i want to restore it, but fuk I have zero time to put the energy into it. What I need to do is just hand it over and pay someone to restore it, which wont be cheap but i will do that one day. Its just right now my money is needed in other places at the moment.
                  Mine got to where it needed more money and time than I had at that time. I sold it to a guy who owned a shop and had a 14 year old daughter. That gave him 2 years to restore it for here to have when she turned 16.

We still have the VIN number written down. One day we're going to trace it and see what became of it. It had 'cancer' bad in some places, so I hope the guy could restore it.

Comment

Mine got to where it needed more money and time than I had at that time. I sold it to a guy who owned a shop and had a 14 year old daughter. That gave him 2 years to restore it for here to have when she turned 16.

We still have the VIN number written down. One day we're going to trace it and see what became of it. It had 'cancer' bad in some places, so I hope the guy could restore it.
                    The thing that keeps me from just selling it is that the body is in immaculate condition and it has the original motor. The interior is garbage but that can be redone. The major things are is getting the engine back to original working condition, redoing the interior and repainting the thing. But my heart wants to go big and put a brand new engine and restore into a fast badass Mustang. But in a way i want to also just restore it back to factory original.

Comment

The thing that keeps me from just selling it is that the body is in immaculate condition and it has the original motor. The interior is garbage but that can be redone. The major things are is getting the engine back to original working condition, redoing the interior and repainting the thing. But my heart wants to go big and put a brand new engine and restore into a fast badass Mustang. But in a way i want to also just restore it back to factory original.
                      It's a dilemma that a lot of dudes face with classic pony/muscle cars.

You start out with exterior body and paint, dress out the interior, then it's on to upgrading the brakes and wheels/tires because the 60's era tech is well, 60's, and the next thing you know, you have ideas of adding a big block blower motor to the list.

Comment

Working...
                      X