No announcement yet.

J Cole is the best contemporary rapper in the game period

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Cole is the best contemporary rapper in the game period

J Cole bridges the gap between conscious and commercial music beautifully. There isn't another rapper in the game who's doing it like Cole world. He makes music of substance that you can still bump in your whip and nod your head to. Dude is criminally underrated.

J cole and Kendrick

Comment

J.Cole is a fuqing embarrassment. He bought in a long time ago and has yet to drop an album anyone with two ears and a brain would consider classic.

He came out like he was going to change the game and keep it real but quickly turned into another charlatan.

Kendrick, K.R.I.T. and Lupe he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicDon View Post
        J.Cole is a fuqing embarrassment. He bought in a long time ago and has yet to drop an album anyone with two ears and a brain would consider classic.

He came out like he was going to change the game and keep it real but quickly turned into another charlatan.

Kendrick, K.R.I.T. and Lupe he is not.

Forest hills drive is a classic.born sinner is pretty damn good too. Friday night lights is a classic mixtape.

Comment

I like a handful of his songs, he seems ok (seen one mtv interview with him). But I wouldn't say he's galvanising the music industry particularly, he's fairly big/liked but not earth-shattering. Solid world level competitor, but losses to anyone elite level...

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
            Forest hills drive is a classic.born sinner is pretty damn good too. Friday night lights is a classic mixtape.
            Forest Hills Drive is one most inconsistent hip hop albums ever made. Maybe classic in your mind but like I said two ears and brain. It's an album full of ripped off beats, corny hooks, and far below average punchlines and rhymes. Cole should have taken the project and tossed it in a batch of acid. Then he should have taken his lazy ass back into the studio and recorded an album worthwhile.

Mixtapes don't count. It's like being a great amateur, it's cool and all but means dog dookie if you can't prove it in the pros. Plus Friday Night Lights is good at best.

He never reached his potential because he'd rather try to appeal to women while pretending to be real and conscious.

Comment

Cole is dope. But he hasn't dropped that defining album yet. Neither has Krit to be fair.

But my favorite guys still going right now are these....

Big KRIT (the best rapper 90% of people don't know at all)
              J Cole (dope but waiting on that front to back classic)
              Yelawolf (my personal favorite, really underrated)
              Atmosphere (underground legends, 2 classics underground wise)
              Joey Badass (dope emcee, waiting on that classic album, 1999 was a classic mixtape)
              Logic (dope emcee, waiting on that front to back classic album)
              Kendrick Lamar (though I still say TPAB was overrated as hell, but Section .80 was ill, and GKMC is the last classic in hip hop)
              Jarren Benton (underrated as hell)

Schoolboy Q has some nice stuff, but I always just like 6-7 songs on his albums and that's it. Mac Miller has dropped some dope stuff the last few years too. Run the Jewels has some dope stuff, but their albums were a bit over hyped. Killer Mike still got bars though. Isaiah Rashad is dope, Cilvia Demo was nice. Vince Staples is pretty good, Summertime 06 was a little inconsistent though. I think his best is yet to come. Hopsin was dope for a second, but he's steadily going downhill or becoming stagnant.

Tech N9ne was dope for a long time, but the last 5-6 years it's been same **** after same ****. I haven't truly enjoyed an album of his since All 6's and 7's or KOD if I'm being honest.

Game was a beast on The Documentary and Doctor's Advocate, and surprisingly I really liked Documentary 2. His best album after years of mediocrity or weak albums. Nas of course is an ATG, but he hasn't dropped anything in 4 years. Jay hasn't had real good album since American Gangster, and hasn't dropped much in 3 years. Em is another ATG, but hasn't dropped an album in 3 years, and the little stuff he's done since MMLP2 has been less than stellar.
              Last edited by 4Corners; 07-12-2016, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
                And Born Sinner was an abomination in my opinion.

Comment

I'd say Sideline Story was OK. Like half of it was dope, and half of it was obvious label service IMO. Big miss on his debut.

Born Sinner was solid IMO. But nothing special. A lot of the album was good. Let Nas Down was a great song. But it wasn't out of this world either.

Forest Hills Drive was easily his best album. I thought it was really good, but a classic??? Not by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicDon View Post
                    Forest Hills Drive is one most inconsistent hip hop albums ever made. Maybe classic in your mind but like I said two ears and brain. It's an album full of ripped off beats, corny hooks, and far below average punchlines and rhymes. Cole should have taken the project and tossed it in a batch of acid. Then he should have taken his lazy ass back into the studio and recorded an album worthwhile.

Mixtapes don't count. It's like being a great amateur, it's cool and all but means dog dookie if you can't prove it in the pros. Plus Friday Night Lights is good at best.

He never reached his potential because he'd rather try to appeal to women while pretending to be real and conscious.
                    Lol idk bro he even got an HBO special from that album so it can't be trash like you say.

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Cole is dope. But he hasn't dropped that defining album yet. Neither has Krit to be fair.

But my favorite guys still going right now are these....

Big KRIT (the best rapper 90% of people don't know at all)
                    J Cole (dope but waiting on that front to back classic)
                    Yelawolf (my personal favorite, really underrated)
                    Atmosphere (underground legends, 2 classics underground wise)
                    Joey Badass (dope emcee, waiting on that classic album, 1999 was a classic mixtape)
                    Logic (dope emcee, waiting on that front to back classic album)
                    Kendrick Lamar (though I still say TPAB was overrated as hell, but Section .80 was ill, and GKMC is the last classic in hip hop)
                    Jarren Benton (underrated as hell)

Schoolboy Q has some nice stuff, but I always just like 6-7 songs on his albums and that's it. Mac Miller has dropped some dope stuff the last few years too. Run the Jewels has some dope stuff, but their albums were a bit over hyped. Killer Mike still got bars though. Isaiah Rashad is dope, Cilvia Demo was nice. Vince Staples is pretty good, Summertime 06 was a little inconsistent though. I think his best is yet to come. Hopsin was dope for a second, but he's steadily going downhill or becoming stagnant.

Tech N9ne was dope for a long time, but the last 5-6 years it's been same **** after same ****. I haven't truly enjoyed an album of his since All 6's and 7's or KOD if I'm being honest.

Game was a beast on The Documentary and Doctor's Advocate, and surprisingly I really liked Documentary 2. His best album after years of mediocrity or weak albums. Nas of course is an ATG, but he hasn't dropped anything in 4 years. Jay hasn't had real good album since American Gangster, and hasn't dropped much in 3 years. Em is another ATG, but hasn't dropped an album in 3 years, and the little stuff he's done since MMLP2 has been less than stellar.
                    K.R.I.T is definitely underrated also B.O.B even though a lot of people think he's crazy lol.

TPAB is a classic album definitely, maybe GKMC. Untitled Unmastered is very very good but not classic.

Comment

Working...
                    X