Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Wing Chun the best techniques to learn when it comes to street fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wing Chun the best techniques to learn when it comes to street fights?

https://youtu.be/hp9-jKO_K98

Thinking about taking some classes and learning it this summer. Looks fun and effective. Looks like it's more street orientated which is what I want to learn. Is there something more effective than this? What do you think about his methods?

Save money by going to an MMA gym. You'll learn how to defend yourself in every single way, it's just that it won't look super pretty like Kung Fu. That means it's effective. In martial arts the less pretty it looks the more effective it is, general rule there.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
      Save money by going to an MMA gym. You'll learn how to defend yourself in every single way, it's just that it won't look super pretty like Kung Fu. That means it's effective. In martial arts the less pretty it looks the more effective it is, general rule there.
      I was looking into it and wing chun is more striking than ground stuff which I prefer. I prefer not to do any ground work since I have a small frame and not as strong as other people out there.

Comment

Bruce Lee wouldnt even last a round with Mayweather or Vargas. Dude was a fraud actor.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
          Bruce Lee wouldnt even last a round with Mayweather or Vargas. Dude was a fraud actor.
          Now you're talking out of your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
            I was looking into it and wing chun is more striking than ground stuff which I prefer. I prefer not to do any ground work since I have a small frame and not as strong as other people out there.
            It's about technique not strength and frame. You should see the weak looking guys who thrive at BJJ.

Comment

At my thai boxing gym a student threw some knees and elbows at a wing chun teacger after the teacher said he will block everything.

He couldnt. He was like.....wait do that again.

The dude didnt even throw a leg kick. It would have put the wing chun teacher on his azz

Comment

Firstly, doing any form of exercise is great.

Secondly, doing Wing Chun over nothing is also great if you get into a fight.

Thirdly, it's a good idea to learn as many forms as you can. Having multiple skills will always be better than just one.

Fourthly, Wing Chun is quite good but remember that you should not compared and say this can beat that etc... at the end of the day it's the person. Some people can train for 10 years and be worse than someone who trains 2 years. Do what your gut feels and go for it 100%. If you regret it, at least you listened to yourself and not someone else.

Comment

Good advice, much of it from BKM.

He is correct, ground work is actually the best for smaller guys. It's the heart of Gracie JJ, actually.

As for WC, or any art, it's not effective if it's all 'flash'. The easiest way to find an effective art for something like a street fight is to find a gym that trains "alive". By alive training, I mean there is open sparring as opposed to preset drills that are only effective in theory. Think sparring, like boxers do. Alive training proves what works and what does not via pressure testing it in alive situations. I Am A Champ's story is actually very common, and shows what happens when those who do not train alive run into someone who does.

I'd recommend MMA, as it's a mix of the most effective arts (yes, that includes boxing). If you only want one art/style, I'd go with boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, or a ground art like Brazilian/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, or Sambo.

Comment

Find some Russian, a Jew, or military guy, that teaches close quarters combat. That's all you'll need in a street fight. I find everything else is bull**** in an actual fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X