Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you rank these Christopher Nolan movies then?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    I didn't know you were hispanic, Kev.

That explains the stink when I read your posts.

No racism.
    Green toothed ****** lover

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      1. Interstellar
      2. Memento
      3. Insomnia
      4. DKR

True story: In a Psych lecture of 400 students, the professor mentioned Memento to use it as an example for a topic about damage to the hippocampus. She asked who has seen the movie...NO ONE raised their hand, except for me

No bull**** :gay:

The room was pretty much Asian/White students, I have no doubt I was the only Hispanic in that particular class. The school is 60% white, 20% Asian, 7% hispanic, etc

Anyway, yeah, damn...what an underrated movie. Kids these days
      Interstellar has such a lovely score, Hans Zimmer was on one when he cooked it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfert View Post
        You could say that of 2001.
        Yeah but 2001 was more of a surreal cerebral type film. Interstellar was supposed to be a view into modern space exploration that turned into some weird nonsensical ****.

Comment

I know that 4Corners wanks regularly over the guy, but how do you rank his nine movies?

Here's how I see 'em, in order of ascendance:

9. Interstellar.
          I do like this director, he makes reasonably thoughtful movies that still appeal to the mainstream. This one comes last, not because it's ****, but because the others are better.

8. Inception.
          Okay, maybe a little low, but this is pure "smoke and mirrors", an overrated mess that uses dreams as a pure gimmick to disguise the thinness of plot and the two-dimensional characters whose motivation changes from scene to scene. Please don't tell me this is really "deep" and I don't get it. It isn't.

7. The Dark Knight Rises.
          Got a spinal injury? Don't worry, get someone to punch it back into place and it'll be as good as new. Lost a fight? Don't worry, do exactly what you did before and it'll work next time. Then use a helicopter to carry off a nuclear warhead. Actually, this was pretty wank, wasn't it?

6. The Prestige
          Since I've got older, my memory's got more and more ****ed. This could be the best film Nolan's ever done, but I don't remember it that much. Wasn't Bowie in it or summat?

5. Following.
          Okay, this is maybe a little high. On a purely technical standpoint, including acting, it's obviously by FAR the worst film Nolan's done. This was his semi-pro debut, with a budget so low he even got his uncle in to play one of the parts. The actors involved are not real professionals, and so you have to "buy in" to the "wooden Green Teefs" ethos of it all. But, as with Nolan at his best, it has a really clever plot.

4. Insomnia
          Again, this could be crap or it could be great. I THINK I liked it. Why can't I remember? Al Pacino and Robin Williams, right?

3. The Dark Knight
          This is where he started doing "the voice", innit? Yeah, it's good this one. Overrated as ****, obviously, but good.

2. Batman Begins
          Yeah, really. Suck it.

1. Memento.
          I really need to watch this again, but...

Your synopsis is amazing!!! This is why you da man!!! Hahahahahaha oh **** oh man I needed that, I needed this kinda real laughter!!!

Comment

I know that 4Corners wanks regularly over the guy, but how do you rank his nine movies?

Here's how I see 'em, in order of ascendance:

9. Interstellar.
            I do like this director, he makes reasonably thoughtful movies that still appeal to the mainstream. This one comes last, not because it's ****, but because the others are better.

8. Inception.
            Okay, maybe a little low, but this is pure "smoke and mirrors", an overrated mess that uses dreams as a pure gimmick to disguise the thinness of plot and the two-dimensional characters whose motivation changes from scene to scene. Please don't tell me this is really "deep" and I don't get it. It isn't.

7. The Dark Knight Rises.
            Got a spinal injury? Don't worry, get someone to punch it back into place and it'll be as good as new. Lost a fight? Don't worry, do exactly what you did before and it'll work next time. Then use a helicopter to carry off a nuclear warhead. Actually, this was pretty wank, wasn't it?

6. The Prestige
            Since I've got older, my memory's got more and more ****ed. This could be the best film Nolan's ever done, but I don't remember it that much. Wasn't Bowie in it or summat?

5. Following.
            Okay, this is maybe a little high. On a purely technical standpoint, including acting, it's obviously by FAR the worst film Nolan's done. This was his semi-pro debut, with a budget so low he even got his uncle in to play one of the parts. The actors involved are not real professionals, and so you have to "buy in" to the "wooden Green Teefs" ethos of it all. But, as with Nolan at his best, it has a really clever plot.

4. Insomnia
            Again, this could be crap or it could be great. I THINK I liked it. Why can't I remember? Al Pacino and Robin Williams, right?

3. The Dark Knight
            This is where he started doing "the voice", innit? Yeah, it's good this one. Overrated as ****, obviously, but good.

2. Batman Begins
            Yeah, really. Suck it.

1. Memento.
            I really need to watch this again, but...
            Lol I do enjoy his films. But I do think Rises is by far his worst movie ever. So damn mediocre or meh. Bane was the only good thing about the whole movie, but not enough to save it. I don't count Following either, it's like anything Marty did before Mean Streets, I just don't care personally lol

8. The Dark Knight Rises: C-
            Bane was absolutely killer, and the scene he beats up Batman, and then imprisons him were GREAT. But the plot holes, corny lines, whole ticking time clock count down at the end, Batman's WHERE'S THE TRIGGER!!!!, the fake out death thing at the end........not enough to be any higher. Basically any scene with Bane was pretty good, and the rest wasn't lol I think it's really the only semi bad to bad movie he's got

7. Insomnia: B-
            I enjoy it. I think it's solid. It's tense, it's the kind of feel I like in my movies, which is why I like Nolan, as well as someone like Fincher a lot. But it's essentially just really straight forward mystery crime film. There's nothing really that separates it out of other good films from the genre. It was just SOLID.

6. Interstellar: B
            This could have been Nolan's greatest film........if he'd cast someone besides Matt Damon as Dr Mann, and not had Anne Hatheway in it. I get it that Cooper had to go out to her later, but damn they could've written that character without some of the cheesy love lines, and had someone so much less annoying than Anne Hatheway play her. But otherwise, it was a really moving film, especially near the end. The whole idea was great, and the twist was one I didn't see coming in a million years. I thought he'd end up back on earth after it was destroyed or something, but nope. Overall, it was good. It had GREAT moments, but enough meh moments to drag it down. Could've been his masterpiece. Good film, but missed opportunity as well.

5. Batman Begins: B+
            Really the movie that changed the way people were doing super hero films. Great origin story, great new Batman, great villains. Just the dark tone and feel of the movie, it's EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT OUT OF A BATMAN MOVIE, not the cheesy over produced Batman vs Superman BULL****. And hey, Bale's Batman ACTUALLY successfully killed Liam Neeson, that gets brownie points automatically. Really good movie IMO. One of the best super hero movies I think. 100 times better than all the bull**** super hero stuff they are pushing on us every year it seems.

4. The Prestige: B+
            Really good movie. The twist again was unexpected. But there's no flaws in the performances at all. The whole thing is fun to watch, it keeps you engaged with little to know big ahhhh scenes. Hugh Jackman was actually tolerable, and Bale was great as well. It may lack the big amazing spectacles of his absolute best IMO, but it's really great. And should be watched. And the way Jackman's character basically goes down in flames at the end was great.

3. Inception: A-
            Say what you will about it, but years from now people could look back on this as a defining movie of the era as far as Science Fiction. We sure as hell had never really seen something like it. It was slow, but didn't feel like it. It was long, but damn it keeps you engaged fully. Just the effects, idea, concept, full circle scope it takes, everything was really great IMO. It lack's the really GREAT defining actor performance of the next two, but damn I think this really is a classic sci fi movie of the 2000's for sure. And I think we may see it changed the way people do sci fi as well.

2. The Dark Knight: A+
            Perfect movie for the genre it is. Everything from the pace, action, villain, story, was just phenomenal. But lets be real.....without Heath Ledger's joker, this is just a solid movie, nothing more or less. HE MAKES THE ****ING MOVIE, AND we probably won't ever see a super hero villain portrayed so damn perfect ever again. He just grabs you and doesn't let go the whole thing. Legit on the edge of your seat watching him. By far the best super hero movie ever IMO.

1. Memento: A+
            Enough said. If you haven't watched, do so. If you have, you know it's classic, and the best thing he's ever done, and maybe will ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              Well, I'd slurp up any Nolan load so it's up there.

What do you think of Nolan's next film on the Dunkirk evacuation? War films aren't my thing but hey, in Nolan we trust.
              I'm not really looking forward to it, but there are some directors in big time hollywood I'll watch NO MATTER WHAT.....

Nolan
              Tarantino
              Fincher
              Scorsese
              Coen Brothers
              PT Anderson

I don't care what they do, I will watch. Affleck is flirting with that status too, as a director lol Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo....I dug all these

But Nolan needs to get back to his 2005-2010 form. It was very consistent. Interstellar is a good movie, don't get me wrong. But it was relatively simple mess ups that took away from how great it could have been. And Rises was truly mediocre mostly, and crap at times.

I didn't mind the sappy emotional ending, I think it's part of what makes the film really good. It's the sappy Hatheway stuff, and a couple casting choices that sucked. If he'd cast lesser known people for Hatheway's character and Damon's as well, it would've worked better.

But I did think the WTF ending was pretty great.
              Last edited by 4Corners; 05-14-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfert View Post
                You could say that of 2001.
                You could, but 2001 was so god damn revolutionary. That and the way Kubrick pulled it off with the WTF ending. Damn that movie challenges you, but it's ****ing brilliant.

Interstellar could have been Nolan's Close Encounters/Spielberg esque meets Kubrick's 2001 MASTERPIECE......but a few casting choices and corny lines took away from it sadly.

2001 didn't have to tell us what was happening, it really shows you. Interstellar at times was too obsessed with telling us what was happening, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                  3. Inception: A-
                  Say what you will about it, but years from now people could look back on this as a defining movie of the era as far as Science Fiction. We sure as hell had never really seen something like it.
                  Not even if you spliced together The Matrix with Blade Runner then smoked weed?

Comment

Interstellar I enjoyed..highly imaginative and cinematically stunning

Inception. Same.

Memento..

Batman begins..

The prestige

Then the rest. Inception is interchangeable with any of those places though. Because I have mixed conclusions about it. It's definitely up there for the novelty of it.

Comment

I've only seen Memento out of that list and it was absolutely quality.

JOHN G RAPED AND KILLED MY WIFE.

Comment

Working...
                      X