Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is usually the reason Americans join the military?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mostly poor people that can't pay for school or vocational training and buy into what the army recruiters sell them about how it will improve their earning potential after joining

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
      I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!
      Gomer Pile, I bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose!

Haha great f* movie.

Comment

Originally posted by JrRod View Post
        Gomer Pile, I bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose!

Haha great f* movie.
        Hell yes. I saw where they filmed it when I was in recruit training.

It was 3rd Battalion Qubec Company. Right by the rifle range which is far as hell from the rest of Parris Island.

Comment

Hell yes. I saw where they filmed it when I was in recruit training.

It was 3rd Battalion Qubec Company. Right by the rifle range which is far as hell from the rest of Parris Island.
          Why are you not in the military anymore? They are still actively recruiting. You didn't like to continue all the way to General or Admiral?

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
            Why are you not in the military anymore? They are still actively recruiting. You didn't like to continue all the way to General or Admiral?
            you sign a contract. 4,6 or 8 years.

I joined in 2009 and ETS'd 2012.

General Beercules

Comment

you sign a contract. 4,6 or 8 years.

I joined in 2009 and ETS'd 2012.

General Beercules

Admiral Sweet Pea

Has a ring to it.

Comment

Mentally, many people with family in the military can not face the prospect that they are risking their life for nothing, for corporate expansion and the creation of a theocracy. So far in Iraq, that is all that has been done, aside from repairing things that we blew up to begin with. The war HAS to be just because they do not want to have been fooled and they do not want their sacrifices to have been in vain. Also, part of the military pride is in the self-righteousness of saying they fight for freedom. When, and if they discover, they are not fighting for freedom but dying for profit margins it is too much to handle because it strips away the pride and forces them to recognize they have been pawns.

It is unpopular to say, but a large chunk of out military recruits are just poor kids who screwed up in high school. The service offers them three things they never had: respect, an above mediocre income, and a chance at college. The largest mentally, many people with family in the military can not face the prospect that they are risking their life for nothing, for corporate expansion and the creation of a theocracy. So far in Iraq, that is all that has been done, aside from repairing things that we blew up to begin with. The war HAS to be just because they do not want to have been fooled and they do not want their sacrifices to have been in vain. Also, part of the military pride is in the self-righteousness of saying they fight for freedom. When, and if they discover, they are not fighting for freedom but dying for profit margins it is too much to handle because it strips away the pride and forces them to recognize they have been pawns. of welfare in the US is white women; the men have the military to hide in. We aren’t fighting the Germans and the Japanese war machines. We are fighting out gunned, out financed, out armored, unprofessional, completely technologically inferior, desperate civilian guerrillas with no air force, no navy, or heavy armor. And we are losing good young people every day in a war of attrition from an enemy that has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post

Admiral Sweet Pea

Has a ring to it.
                  We shall conquer the world

Comment

to fight Cobra

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                      Mentally, many people with family in the military can not face the prospect that they are risking their life for nothing, for corporate expansion and the creation of a theocracy. So far in Iraq, that is all that has been done, aside from repairing things that we blew up to begin with. The war HAS to be just because they do not want to have been fooled and they do not want their sacrifices to have been in vain. Also, part of the military pride is in the self-righteousness of saying they fight for freedom. When, and if they discover, they are not fighting for freedom but dying for profit margins it is too much to handle because it strips away the pride and forces them to recognize they have been pawns.

It is unpopular to say, but a large chunk of out military recruits are just poor kids who screwed up in high school. The service offers them three things they never had: respect, an above mediocre income, and a chance at college. The largest mentally, many people with family in the military can not face the prospect that they are risking their life for nothing, for corporate expansion and the creation of a theocracy. So far in Iraq, that is all that has been done, aside from repairing things that we blew up to begin with. The war HAS to be just because they do not want to have been fooled and they do not want their sacrifices to have been in vain. Also, part of the military pride is in the self-righteousness of saying they fight for freedom. When, and if they discover, they are not fighting for freedom but dying for profit margins it is too much to handle because it strips away the pride and forces them to recognize they have been pawns. of welfare in the US is white women; the men have the military to hide in. We aren’t fighting the Germans and the Japanese war machines. We are fighting out gunned, out financed, out armored, unprofessional, completely technologically inferior, desperate civilian guerrillas with no air force, no navy, or heavy armor. And we are losing good young people every day in a war of attrition from an enemy that has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I was just stupid and 17. Financially I am well off, it was just a challenge to myself I suppose.

But you are right, lots of guys do join because of the reasons you stated: poor, some do it for love of country and to kill ******s, college.

My friend is moving to Las Vegas to become a police officer.

Comment

Working...
                      X