Collapse
No announcement yet.

420 (cannabis culture)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people don't realize 4.20 is Hitler's birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by borikua
      From Wikipedia

Accepted origin

Snopes.com, High Times magazine, The Marijuana-Logues, and The Straight Dope claim that in the early 1970s, a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California used to meet every day after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the water tower. One piece of evidence supporting an origin of the term from the time 4:20 is the fact that the number is always said "four twenty". This theory is also the most cited, and the most widely-accepted.

Other plausible suggested origins

Marijuana grew wild on or near Highway 420 in Ontario in the 1960s. Whether or not this is true, Highway 420 is the location for an annual legalization protest every April 20th.

At some American junior or senior high schools, "after-school detention" ends at 4:20. Thus 4:20 signifies the time when the detainees are finally free to smoke after the school day.

The term could have possibly come from H. P. Lovecraft's Within The Walls of Eryx which contains the line "My route must have been far from straight, for it seemed hours before I was free of the mirage-plant's pervasive influence... When I did get wholly clear I looked at my watch and was astonished to find that the time was only 4:20". This theory for the origin of 4:20 was first postulated on the official website for the rock band Tool.

An ounce of marijuana going for $300, sold gram by gram (@ $15), equals $420.

Refuted urban legends

420 degrees Fahrenheit is the temperature at which marijuana burns, the primary method of use. (In reality, Marijuana burns at or around 450 degrees.)

420 is a police code for a drug bust or for "marijuana smoking in progress," or that 4:20 is or was the shift change for the police. However, there is no 420 police code.

There are 420 chemicals in marijuana (there are actually 315).
      April 21 is the last day on which one is supposed to plant cannabis seeds (with the variety of planting regions and cannabis genetics, no such date can logically apply to all growing operations).

April 20 is approximately the last frost in the American climate, making it time to move pot plants outdoors. In actual fact the date varies from year to year, and from region to region.

420 Day is celebrated as April 20th was the date of Bob Marley's death. Marley actually died on May 11, 1981.
      WoW!!!!! I'll get high!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RunWithKnives
        Great thread.

I quit smoking about two months ago but there's nothing wrong with it, and it should be legal......in the States.
        I completely agree that it should be legal. I was reading in an article somewhere that Marijuana was legal until the prohibition act came into effect where both marijuana and alcohol both became illegal. The people cryed and protested in different ways about the alcohol but little was said about the mari. Anyway, so they make alcohol legal and left mari as an illegal substance. Reasons for leaving it illegal were, to say, weak. The most memorable of the reasons being that they said it made people very violent. When and where have you ever seen violent pot heads? I never have, except when you are a triple toker and will not pass it along. Somebodys going to speak up, joking ofcourse. It should be legal. Like one poster in here said about marijuana, its ok for a dad to rip out the 12 pack and pound beers getting drunk infront of his kids. But it is not ok for them to go into another room to burn one. Hypocritical to say the least. 420!

Rockin'

Comment

Working...
        X