No announcement yet.

The oeuvre of Charles Dickens?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The oeuvre of Charles Dickens?

I'm still relatively unfamiliar with his body of work... from what I've read, he seems to have genuine wit and social conscience, yet there's also cases where his characters veer towards caricature and his plots towards an artifice of London rather than the real thing.

I'm halfway through Great Expectations, which is deservedly lauded, but I completed Hard Times and it seemed almost two-dimensional in comparison.

you're good.

Real good!

Comment

Never liked the Victorian novel, but I'd like a throughout review if you feel like putting pen to paper here.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
        Never liked the Victorian novel, but I'd like a throughout review if you feel like putting pen to paper here.
        I'll have to get on it... I find them hard work, in a way. It's not that they're not nicely written, but in some senses it's almost like a foreign language today.

Comment

One thing I find with Dickens is that his descriptive passages are at least the equal of his dialogue. It's this, and his frequently "real life" plots (can't think of the correct term there) that make adaptations so ill-conceived in general.

Comment

I once read the Heart of Midlothian by Sir Walter Scott. That **** could knock me smooth out with a single paragraph.

I actually like Great Expectations. By like I mean I finished it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              I once read the Heart of Midlothian by Sir Walter Scott. That **** could knock me smooth out with a single paragraph.

I actually like Great Expectations. By like I mean I finished it.
              The Heart of Midlothian is only good for spitting on

Comment

Coincidentally, I see Dickens has been trending for the last three hours on Twatter, as its his birth date today:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Char...ns%22&src=tren

Comment

Working...
                X