No announcement yet.

Djokovic Names His 2016 Goal the Djoker Slam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic Names His 2016 Goal the Djoker Slam

MELBOURNE, Australia — Novak Djokovic has a new goal for the year. He calls it the Djoker Slam.

The No. 1-ranked player has one thing missing from his fast-growing collection of 11 Grand Slam trophies.

"The French Open. It's the one I never won," Djokovic said early Monday, after winning his record sixth Australian Open, but already casting an eye toward Paris. "I'll try to put myself in a position to get that trophy."

Djokovic's relentless desire for tennis perfection has pushed him to a brilliant level, one that was too high for Andy Murray who lost Sunday's final 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 (3). The straight-sets win highlighted Djokovic's dominance and Murray's shortcomings: the No. 2-ranked Murray has now played five finals in Melbourne and lost them all — including four to Djokovic.

It also stamped Djokovic's imprint on the tournament, tying him with Roy Emerson for the most singles titles in the event's long history. Emerson played in the 1960s and won his Australian titles in the amateur era.

Djokovic's strong start to the season comes after a year that has been described as one of the finest in tennis history. He finished 2015 at No. 1 for the fourth time in five years. He won the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

He reached the final at the French Open, but lost to Stan Wawrinka. It was his third runner-up trophy at Roland Garros.

"Each year when I go back I feel like I'm a step closer," Djokovic said during a TV interview after the final. He was asked, if he does win at the French and manage to capture four consecutive major championships, would he give it a name? On the women's side, Serena Williams has done it before and her feat was called the "Serena Slam."

"Djoker Slam. Not bad, I like that one," said the 28-year-old Serbian, referring to his nickname, the Djoker.

"No doubt that I'm playing the best tennis of my life in the last 15 months," Djokovic said. "The results are showing that. I'm just trying to keep it up."

With his 11th major title, Djokovic is steadily gaining on Rafael Nadal's 14 and Roger Federer's record 17.

The so-called Big Four of men's tennis — Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic — has been looking more lopsided with Djokovic's winning record. He now leads the pack with head-to-head wins over them all — Federer (23-22), Murray (22-9), Nadal (24-23).

In Melbourne, Djokovic beat Federer in straight sets in the semifinals before moving on to Murray. Nadal lost in the first-round, raising more questions about whether his Grand Slam winning days have passed. Last year was the first season since 2004 that Nadal did not win a major title.

Throughout the tournament, Djokovic was repeatedly asked about the increasingly wide gulf between him at No. 1 and the rest of the players. At his final news conference, Djokovic answered the question with a metaphor.

The wolf that is running up the hill is much hungrier than the wolf standing at the top of the hill, Djokovic said.

"I believe that all the guys that are out there fighting each week to get to No. 1 are very hungry to get to No. 1," he said. "I want to enjoy, and I will, but it's not going to go for more than a few days. After that, I'm already thinking about how can I continue playing well through the rest of the season at each tournament."

Returning to the metaphor, how hungry is the wolf for Paris, he was asked.

"Very hungry," Djokovic smiled. "But the wolf needs to eat a lot of different meals to get to Paris. Paris is a dessert."
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 02-29-2016, 06:17 AM.

Djokovic is the man. If Murray had beaten him, there would be threads created in the Lounge all over the place.

Comment

Djorkovic is a brilliant player but tennis is in serious decline at the minute.

Federer peaked in 2009 but is still the only real threat to Nole. Nadal is shot. Murray, who was never really in the same class as the other 3, is in decline but is still ranked number 2 in the world.

Where is the next generation of champions? The youngsters coming through don't look capable of displacing the likes of Tsonga, Berdych and Ferrer out of the top 10 never mind replacing the so called big 4.

Djorkovic should win every grand slam this year, because the field is so poor. If Wawrinka hits form at the right time he might stop him, but I can't see anyone else doing so.
      Last edited by Welsh Jon; 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Yes, men's tennis seems to have hit a low point at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic runs off quite a string of victories in majors for several years. There is no one out there to challenge him.

Comment

Yeah, that's what they always say when someone starts dominating.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
            Yeah, that's what they always say when someone starts dominating.
            So you're saying that the competition in men's tennis is actually at a peak right now? I'd love to hear your argument for that.

Comment

I am saying that when someone dominates, there is never the premise that it's some kind of a Golden era. Even Federer gets it for his most dominant run.

But it's not the lack of competition that makes Djokovic great, what makes him great is because he is great and has a chance of becoming greater than the aformentioned if he keeps winning.

Comment

I always say that Pete Sampras played in a way tougher era. He would have won more majors if he was facing the same field that Federer did.

But at least Federer had Nadal to contend with for a part of his run.

Djokovic is very good, however he is beating up on a pretty weak field. That can't really be denied.

Comment

Novak Djokovic has broke a hundred rackets and never drew a dime. RIP Tennis, this guy isn't Roger Federer.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    I always say that Pete Sampras played in a way tougher era. He would have won more majors if he was facing the same field that Federer did.

But at least Federer had Nadal to contend with for a part of his run.

Djokovic is very good, however he is beating up on a pretty weak field. That can't really be denied.
                    This all subjective conjecture. Same as The Chicago Bulls are the greatest team Vs The Chicago bulls beat up a bunch of B-level teams during their dominant years with MJ. It doesn't get us nowhere. People form opinions like this all the time.

The only conclusive thing is that Djokovic's skills/agility/athleticism/ability to play long 5 sets on a high level (when necessary) is self-evident. He is not winning because the opposition is so crap, because we would see this. If you suck and are just winning because the opposition is even suckier, it's pretty observable.

Djokovic started showing promise on a high level, beating Federer at the majors as far back as 2008 (7 years ago), when he won his first Australian Open. Beat him again in 2011, which was 7 and 5 years ago respectively. Was competitive with Fed/Nadal in countless of other drawn out matches before his current run.

In a hypothetical world where all these guys are at their absolute peak prime at the same time doesn't exist. As one guy comes up, one goes down. Either one guy is still to green/young, or the other guy is too old. It's just the way it goes.

This is why in a sport like Tennis (unlike Boxing for exampl), I put less value in subjective opinion making, and more on simple stats. If Djokovic is great, he will keep winning and surpass Federer in total majors won. That's all we have to go on.

Because if we go into the subjective and analyze purely on ability in fantasy head to head matchup's, I see no reason why Djokovic (playing the way he does) cannot only compete with a Federer or Sampras, but also beat them at their best. At worst it would be a mixed result if they all played in the same "era" all being their 20-something year old prime selves. But that's not how we determine greatness. The amount of majors won is the most significant determining factor. Djokovic is 28, so he has to at least have a 4 year run of consistency like Federer did, in order to surpass him. And that's easier said then done. Even if Federer, Nadal, Murray and co. all retired tomorrow and cleared the way for Djokovic, the battle to keep winning is within yourself as much as who the opponent is. Consistency = greatness. The not -so- great- ones didn't have the mental makeup to stay consistent, no matter what their physical abilities/skills were.

Somebody in this thread implied that the opposition is so crappy, that he is SUPPOSED to keep winning and that if he doesn't, that would be the news, not that he is dominating in and of it self. That's utter nonsense.

THat's the same fallacy that was put on Wladimir Klitschko to minimize his Title run once it became apparent that he wasn't going anywhere and keep him out of contention for Heavyweight G.O.A.T. honors. It's like you write someone off before their run is even over, by downplaying what they are doing. Just so you can protect the greatness of past ATG's. Not that it maters now because he lost to Tyson Fury and his hopes of surpassing Joe Louis in title defenses (an important milestone) and/or being a 40 year Old Heavyweight Champion (another important milestone) is over, which impacts his standing. But the point is, the peanut gallary wrote him off before it was even over.

Last edited by cupocity303; 02-06-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X