No announcement yet.

The official 2015-2016 NBA season thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Steph Curry is the best shooter I've ever witnessed in my lifetime at least. Dude is absolutely lethal. He's got the best PER for a single season right now in the history of the NBA. Yes, even higher than Wilt Chamberlain's ridiculous 31.8 back in the stone age.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        Steph Curry is the best shooter I've ever witnessed in my lifetime at least. Dude is absolutely lethal. He's got the best PER for a single season right now in the history of the NBA. Yes, even higher than Wilt Chamberlain's ridiculous 31.8 back in the stone age.
        he's on his way to unseating magic johnson for the GOAT title of point guards.

if not already.

i mean knowing what you know now, would you pick magic over steph?

i wouldnt. prolly only tua and mak would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
          he's on his way to unseating magic johnson for the GOAT title of point guards.

if not already.

i mean knowing what you know now, would you pick magic over steph?

i wouldnt. prolly only tua and mak would.
          No. Magic did his thing over the course of an entire decade, plus another couple years. He won 5 titles and wen to 3 more, racking up 3 MVP's, in the toughest era of basketball ever with Dr J and Moses Malone's Sixers, Bird/Mchale Celtics, young MJ on the Bulls, and the bad boy Pistons.

Magic is the 3rd greatest player ever IMO. He was a different type of PG too. Steph is a lethal shooter, but Magic was an incredible facilitator and floor general. Steph would need to win another MVP beyond this year, plus win 3-4 more titles, and play this good for like 6-8 more years before I'd place him over Magic.

Steph is the best shooter I've seen though. And I think he's the best player in the game right now.

Comment

• He's not even Top 20 all time right now, maybe not even 25-30. He just needs to keep building his resume. He's only really been a top level player for the last 3 seasons. Guys like Duncan, Kobe, Magic, Lebron, Bird, Bird, Dr J, Moses Malone, etc. These guys were elite great players year in year out for at the minimum like 11-12 years running, plus more in some cases. And won titles, MVP's as well.

Comment

No. Magic did his thing over the course of an entire decade, plus another couple years. He won 5 titles and wen to 3 more, racking up 3 MVP's, in the toughest era of basketball ever with Dr J and Moses Malone's Sixers, Bird/Mchale Celtics, young MJ on the Bulls, and the bad boy Pistons.

Magic is the 3rd greatest player ever IMO. He was a different type of PG too. Steph is a lethal shooter, but Magic was an incredible facilitator and floor general. Steph would need to win another MVP beyond this year, plus win 3-4 more titles, and play this good for like 6-8 more years before I'd place him over Magic.

Steph is the best shooter I've seen though. And I think he's the best player in the game right now.
              he's better than magic already if you just want to look at it from a purely basketball attribute stand point.

the only thing magic has on steph is team accomplishment and personal nba accolades. basketball wise, the only thing magic has on steph is passing and post game. il take steph's incredible skill set over magic knowing what we know now.

as for the other variables, dr. j was past prime. ill give you the celtics. young MJ had crappy teams. toughest era ill give you that.

MVP awards are media driven, championships are team accomplishments.

from a strictly player to player comparison, ill take steph over magic. just like i think there were much greater centers than bill russell despite having lesser resumes.

Comment

he's better than magic already if you just want to look at it from a purely basketball attribute stand point.

the only thing magic has on steph is team accomplishment and personal nba accolades. basketball wise, the only thing magic has on steph is passing and post game. il take steph's incredible skill set over magic knowing what we know now.

as for the other variables, dr. j was past prime. ill give you the celtics. young MJ had crappy teams. toughest era ill give you that.

MVP awards are media driven, championships are team accomplishments.

from a strictly player to player comparison, ill take steph over magic. just like i think there were much greater centers than bill russell despite having lesser resumes.
                Steph is the better shooter, that's about it really. Magic could shoot decent, could take it to the hole and create for others, and post up better than Steph can. I like his all around game better.

Like it or not, championships are ultimately something that can separate you in terms of greatness, especially in basketball. There's a reason Wilt, the greatest regular season player ever, isn't as great as MJ, Kareem, Magic, etc.

Comment

Steph is the better shooter, that's about it really. Magic could shoot decent, could take it to the hole and create for others, and post up better than Steph can. I like his all around game better.

Like it or not, championships are ultimately something that can separate you in terms of greatness, especially in basketball. There's a reason Wilt, the greatest regular season player ever, isn't as great as MJ, Kareem, Magic, etc.
                  championships are team accomplishments.

magic played with multiple hall of famers. same with bill russell who played in the ****tiest era in nba history along with wilt. if we are going by your metric, bill russell should be the GOAT NBA player but he's not because MJ was a much better player than russell judging them strictly based on their basketball skills excluding team accomplishments and politically driven awards.

Comment

championships are team accomplishments.

magic played with multiple hall of famers. same with bill russell who played in the ****tiest era in nba history along with wilt. if we are going by your metric, bill russell should be the GOAT NBA player but he's not because MJ was a much better player than russell judging them strictly based on their basketball skills excluding team accomplishments and politically driven awards.
                    Russell is probably #4 though. He owed Wilt in the finals, and won greater than anyone. Only people who won a **** ton and were better players are ahead of him. MJ, Magic, Kareem. Bill Russell doesn't get his due.

Steph is the most gifted shooter I've seen. But he didn't have near the all around game Magic had. Magic could shoot well, not great, but decent enough to respect the rest of his game. He could post up, Steph can't. He could also create and facilitate better than anyone in NBA history.

Kareem was amazing, and the #2 All Time. But by the 1980's he definitely lost a step, but was still effective. Magic took them over the top though. Prior to Magic getting there, they hadn't won with just Kareem and Wilkes. Magic got there and they were instantly incredible. Worthy arrived a few years later, and added even more.

Steph has a real good team around him too. You also have to take into account era. A lot of rules have changed the last 10 years that benefit offensive players in the NBA. Steph would get roughed up back in the 80's and 90's much more than he can now. Klay Thompson is already a 2x All Star and All NBA player as well. Draymond Green also is an All Star.

When it's all said and done, this Golden State team will have 2-3 Hall of Famers. Steph will be for sure, and I'm willing to bet in the end either Draymond or Klay will be one day.

Basketball more so than any other "team" sport is a sport where greatness for players is defined by championships. It's a reason you could never include Karl Malone or John Stockton higher than 15-20 on an all time list, same with Barkely. Basketball more than ANY OTHER TEAM SPORT, is a sport where one player can change the course of the entire team. Just look at Lebron.

Football, Baseball are way way way more of an overall team accomplishment. It truly takes every guy. In basketball, you could get 1-2 players onto any team and instantly be title contenders. Which is why rings matter so much to basketball legacies.

Steph needs to win 2-3 MVP's and 4-5 rings before he enters a conversation about better than Oscar Robertson, and in the league of Magic Johnson.

Oscar Robertson was an All NBA players for over a decade, lead the league in assists like 5-6 times, won an MVP and a title. Steph has been an All NBA player for like 2 years, won and mvp and title. Let him keep building his resume.
                    Last edited by 4Corners; 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Agree with 4 about Steph having to build up his resume a bit before he starts entering ATG lists. But he sustains this level of play over a decent span, and he will be.

He is the best long range shooter I have ever seen. And I've watched the game for 30+ years. Seen Bird, Allen, Miller, Rice, etc.

Dude is God tier.

Comment

Working...
                      X