No announcement yet.

Official 2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    They took an absoloute arse raping in retaliation the following week. They just happened to be in the right place when the AB's had their customary bi-yearly game where they didn't show up.

I saw England play the AB's in hamilton 18 months ago or so and they looked very good early on playing high tempo, we have gone backwards i feel in the past 18 months to 2 years, it's a shame.
    Yeah, but that doesn't matter, the tournament was on the line in the previous game.

The NZ open style isn't suited to World Cup knock-out rugby which is usually tight and defensive. They were lucky to win in 2011, France were unlucky, Craig Joubert basically handed it to the hosts.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 09-02-2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I feel like I'm one of the few who's quietly confident about England's chance to win the tournament.

Lancaster and Co have done a fantastic job building a squad of players, similar to a premiership club, with selection continuity and an understanding of their own abilities and limitations. Every year they've gotten a little bit better, especially in attack, last 6 Nations I was impressed with how direct they could be when looking for openings.

Add to that the whole tournament is built in their favour, assuming they win the group, 6 out of 7 games will be at Twickenham with home comforts. They're also on the easier side of the draw, avoiding NZ and SA until the final. I think England beats every team in the world outside of those two on neutral territory, let alone home turf.

We might not be favourites, but we're in position to compete. Considering where we were 4 years ago, I'm happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeaux View Post
        I feel like I'm one of the few who's quietly confident about England's chance to win the tournament.

Lancaster and Co have done a fantastic job building a squad of players, similar to a premiership club, with selection continuity and an understanding of their own abilities and limitations. Every year they've gotten a little bit better, especially in attack, last 6 Nations I was impressed with how direct they could be when looking for openings.

Add to that the whole tournament is built in their favour, assuming they win the group, 6 out of 7 games will be at Twickenham with home comforts. They're also on the easier side of the draw, avoiding NZ and SA until the final. I think England beats every team in the world outside of those two on neutral territory, let alone home turf.

We might not be favourites, but we're in position to compete. Considering where we were 4 years ago, I'm happy with that.
        I like the optimism but I'm not convinced by Lolcaster as coach at all.

Gatland said the other day that he wasn't quite sure how England are trying to play and I'm not sure Lancaster is either.

Not expecting much from England in this tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

Gatland said the other day that he wasn't quite sure how England are trying to play and I'm not sure Lancaster is either.

I both agree and disagree with you. I think that Lancaster is a fantastic man-manager and has created a great atmosphere and team harmony and, in that respect, is a very good coach.

However, I agree that he seems a little conflicted on the style of rugby he wants the team to play. I don't think that he'd have a clear XV that he could go to if the final were tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

Why not? Look through the past few years, England win the vast majority of their games, and when they do lose it's usually by only a score or less, they're always competitive.

I think England beat both Australia (won last 2 fixtures) and Wales (won last 2 fixtures). From that point on it's an easier road, Ireland and France are the biggest threats on that side of the draw. England have a favourable record over France in recent years, Ireland will be tough though, but at home, I'd still favour England.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeaux View Post
              Why not? Look through the past few years, England win the vast majority of their games, and when they do lose it's usually by only a score or less, they're always competitive.

I think England beat both Australia (won last 2 fixtures) and Wales (won last 2 fixtures). From that point on it's an easier road, Ireland and France are the biggest threats on that side of the draw. England have a favourable record over France in recent years, Ireland will be tough though, but at home, I'd still favour England.
              The failure to beat New Zealand since that 2012 game and not beating South Africa are causes for concern. Also we've been runners up in the 6 Nations God knows how many times in a row now. A few years ago there was a real sense that we were on the threshold of becoming the clear rival to New Zealand on the world stage, but since then we've lost momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
                The failure to beat New Zealand since that 2012 game and not beating South Africa are causes for concern. Also we've been runners up in the 6 Nations God knows how many times in a row now. A few years ago there was a real sense that we were on the threshold of becoming the clear rival to New Zealand on the world stage, but since then we've lost momentum.
                But if we do face NZ/SA, it's going to be in the final. Sure, we'd be underdogs but that's a one-off game and you've at least got a chance in.

People were only truly saying that at the start of the NZ tour, and winning one of the games on that tour was a very optimistic proposition. I think if anything we gained momentum, we found a competent fly-half in Ford, we solved one half of our centre problem with Joseph. We're in position to realistically compete.

Comment

I hate rugby union but I do know the Kiwis always win and the win this,,, daylight second, can't wait for next year when the rugby league world cup starts.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                    I hate rugby union but I do know the Kiwis always win and the win this,,, daylight second, can't wait for next year when the rugby league world cup starts.
                    Aren't there about three teams in that one? No disrespect to League they've produced some great Union players.

Comment

War George North

Comment

Working...
                      X