No announcement yet.

Bangkok bomb.. Deadly blast rocks Thailand capital

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok bomb.. Deadly blast rocks Thailand capital

A bomb has exploded close to a shrine in the centre of Thailand's capital, Bangkok, killing at least 19 people and injuring more than 120.

The Erawan Shrine, which was crowded at the time, is a major tourist attraction and foreigners, including Chinese, are among the casualties.

No-one has yet said they carried out the attack.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said the bombers had "targeted foreigners... to damage tourism and the economy".

"We will hunt them down," he said.

The Nation TV channel quoted Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha as saying the government would set up a "war room" to co-ordinate its response.

National police chief Somyot Poompummuang said that 10 Thais had been confirmed dead, along with one Chinese and one Filipino.

He said: "Whoever planted this bomb is cruel and aimed to kill. Planting a bomb there means they want to see a lot of people dead."

Thai police said 123 people had been injured. The government in Hong Kong said three of its residents were among those wounded.

The explosion occurred at about 19:00 local time (12:00 GMT).

The Bangkok Post quoted police as saying that 3kg of TNT had been stuffed in a pipe inside the shrine and that an electronic circuit suspected to have been used in the attack was found 30 metres from the scene.

Police checked the area for other devices but no further bombs have been found, the paper said.
    'Really graphic'

The BBC's Jonathan Head, who was one of the first journalists at the scene, said there was a huge amount of chaos, with body parts scattered everywhere.

He says this is a very well-known shrine, next to a five-star hotel, and that people around it were hit by the full force of the blast.

Thailand is a popular tourist destination for us brits, ive been a few times, and the thai people are the friendliest people you could meet.

Hopefully they find the scum that did this, and make them suffer.

Comment

No scared place seems to be safe anymore. Lives extinguished unexpectedly in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky... View Post
        Thailand is a popular tourist destination for us brits, ive been a few times, and the thai people are the friendliest people you could meet.

Hopefully they find the scum that did this, and make them suffer.

Your a sex tourist?...

I suspect more Germans,Belgians and Brits would be affected.

I guess I'm wrong.

Comment

The CCTV shows someone that look like Caucasian as a suspect.

Comment

Sad day that you can't even bang underage midget ladyboy amputees in peace anymore smdh

Comment

Hope all my favourite Ladyboys are okay.

Rest In Peace to those who lost their lives.

Comment

I guess somebody tossed a grenade over there from a bridge earlier today.

Comment

holy sh#t...

where the hell does one get a grenade? you've got to figure that he's got some kind of networking / support if he's getting his hands on a f#cking grenade.

there's some CC tv footage [allegedly] of the guy tossing the thing. let me embed it.

Comment

grey outfit:

Comment

Working...
                    X