No announcement yet.

Recommend a good Watch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samouraļ View Post
    Take a look at SeiyaJapan.com. Seiko is one of the most respected watchmakers in the world, and makes very high-quality watches in every price range. Considering how easy it is to find an incredibly nice mechanical Seiko for less than $500, a budget of $1000 gives you a ton of choices.

Here's just one example of a Seiko dress watch:

Their divers are also very well-respected and can be worn casually or formally with maybe a strap change. Many (maybe even most) of the models on Seiya Japan aren't even sold in the U.S., so you'd potentially getting something quite uncommon. Most of them will have automatic movements - usually the way to go if you're spending that much money on a watch. Spending $500-1000 on a watch with a quartz movement just seems strange except maybe in the case of very utilitarian watches - but if you're looking for a watch for special occasions, those likely aren't what you want.
    Absolutely agree, Seiko is an amazing watch brand. Agree with everything he said plus I have to add sheer quality. My daily I bought 6 years ago for about $400 with a kinetic movement (little weight spins with movement charging the watch) and it's been on my wrist everyday since. Work, scuba, camping, traveling, etc. Where it's been I've been and it's still running strong.

I know you're looking to get a nice watch for going out but it's still nice to know you won't have to buy a new one soon or have to have it repaired a bunch. Hamilton is making really nice watches in your price range right now as well. And Movado does look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ofEverything View Post
      Absolutely agree, Seiko is an amazing watch brand. Agree with everything he said plus I have to add sheer quality. My daily I bought 6 years ago for about $400 with a kinetic movement (little weight spins with movement charging the watch) and it's been on my wrist everyday since. Work, scuba, camping, traveling, etc. Where it's been I've been and it's still running strong.

I know you're looking to get a nice watch for going out but it's still nice to know you won't have to buy a new one soon or have to have it repaired a bunch. Hamilton is making really nice watches in your price range right now as well. And Movado does look nice.
      My first mechanical watch was a $50 Seiko 5. I still wear it quite a bit - it's actually pretty popular with watch enthusiasts, despite being super-budget. It's been running for years with plenty of abuse and has had zero problems. Seiko is the real deal.

My next watch will be a 70s Seiko 6309 diver if I can find one in good condition. That's a classic.

Comment

Take a look at SeiyaJapan.com. Seiko is one of the most respected watchmakers in the world, and makes very high-quality watches in every price range. Considering how easy it is to find an incredibly nice mechanical Seiko for less than $500, a budget of $1000 gives you a ton of choices.

Here's just one example of a Seiko dress watch:

Their divers are also very well-respected and can be worn casually or formally with maybe a strap change. Many (maybe even most) of the models on Seiya Japan aren't even sold in the U.S., so you'd potentially getting something quite uncommon. Most of them will have automatic movements - usually the way to go if you're spending that much money on a watch. Spending $500-1000 on a watch with a quartz movement just seems strange except maybe in the case of very utilitarian watches - but if you're looking for a watch for special occasions, those likely aren't what you want.
        Perfect. Thanks. I just checked out some of their models they are really nice. I really like the design of a lot of them.

Comment

Orient Automatic Driver's watch. This watch is great and a beauty, plus it's way under your budget and I'm saving your some money here. No point in spending more, you might as well save up a few more g's and get something really worthy it then.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=2597904011

Seikos are nice and very worth the money as well as others have stated. Avoid anything with a big brand name (Gucci, Armani, ect.).
          Last edited by _original_; 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            Orient Automatic Driver's watch. This watch is great and a beauty, plus it's way under your budget and I'm saving your some money here. No point in spending more, you might as well save up a few more g's and get something really worthy it then.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=2597904011

Seikos are nice and very worth the money as well as others have stated. Avoid anything with a big brand name (Gucci, Armani, ect.).
            This is a great recommendation too, and I think you can find Orients at the same link I linked you to before. They're partially owned by Seiko, made in Japan, and of great quality as well.

Comment

Never worn a watch. I like to use the sun to estimate time

Comment

Originally posted by Duggie View Post
                A more efficient way of estimating the time would be to go off the stock levels of buckfast in Glasgow.

Comment

This is a great recommendation too, and I think you can find Orients at the same link I linked you to before. They're partially owned by Seiko, made in Japan, and of great quality as well.
                  Thanks. Great prices on these as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Duggie View Post

what about at night?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post

what about at night?
                      Good question

Comment

Working...
                      X