No announcement yet.

Why do you have a job?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
    This makes me feel like a piece of shit for not doing more with my spare time.

Ah well, at least i can tell my grandkids i smoked hella weed and watched lots of live boxing.
    Not sure about the smoking weed stuff but the live boxing certainly qualifies as experiencing what life has to offer. So do video games to a certain extent, doing archery, taking martial arts, painting tiny plastic goblins so you can fight with them as your army using dice. All of this is worthy and available to you. It doesn't have to be all soup kitchens and irrigation systems for it to be worthwhile.

Originally posted by mortal24 View Post
    Can't believe pewdiepie or whatever his name is making 4 million dollars a year playing video games. Only in America.
    He's British isn't he?

Originally posted by Publius View Post
    Now consider this

What would happen, were your bosses to be presented with your boxingscene posting history? How would they react? Be honest now, and consider how serious the ramifications might be.
    I should be OK. Some of my jokes might need explaining, and it's a conversation I'd rather avoid, but for the most part what I post here is my opinion.

That is the reality of the capitalist system. You can be fired for nothing. On the other hand, the government can't fire someone from SS benefits just because they exercised their freedom of speech.

So who is really more free? Who is more beholden to others? Perhaps, in this light, the term 'wage slavery' begins to make more sense.

How would you respond to that?
    I would respond by telling you if you can't get a job then you have to move out so I can rent out the basement son. You're a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
      This makes me feel like a piece of shit for not doing more with my spare time.

Ah well, at least i can tell my grandkids i smoked hella weed and watched lots of live boxing.
      "grandpa, was pi55ing away your earnings on Matchroom shows worth it?"

"you won't understand kid, back in my day, they were stacked cards with genuine 50-50s, value for money"

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
        "grandpa, was pi55ing away your earnings on Matchroom shows worth it?"

"you won't understand kid, back in my day, they were stacked cards with genuine 50-50s, value for money"

"Did i tell you kids the tale of Bellew Cleverly II?

It was so good it just couldn't be made without PPV..."

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          Not sure about the smoking weed stuff but the live boxing certainly qualifies as experiencing what life has to offer. So do video games to a certain extent, doing archery, taking martial arts, painting tiny plastic goblins so you can fight with them as your army using dice. All of this is worthy and available to you. It doesn't have to be all soup kitchens and irrigation systems for it to be worthwhile.
          I just get stagnant on hobbies. I take something up then hit a ceiling and go off it when i realise i'm not getting anywhere. It's frustrating.

It's also difficult when your friends just want to get drunk or high instead of trying new things. I should be more independent really but i've never really done much outdoor stuff on my own.

Comment

I enjoy what I do and the money that comes from it.

It allows me to take care of my family, buy nice things, go on vacations, and ensure financial security for my son.

Comment

More tax dollars go to corporations than they do to people who don't work.

I am in business for myself but because it gets really slow, I work a part time job for another relatively small company.

Comment

Consider the following:

Who cares about "respect" or "dignity" or "shame"? In our post-modern society these terms have lost all meaning. You are no longer connected to your family, your ancestors, or your nation. You are simply a beast whose sole reason for existence is pleasure. God is dead, don't you know that?

To justify your labor you have to delude yourself. The free man, the man living off the government teet, has accepted reality. He is a learned man, an educated man, who sees how futile and pointless it is to live up to the expectations of others.

So he stays in his basement, jacks off, and plays video games. He does not spend 40 hours a week banging his head against a desk. He does not spend 18 years of his life raising a useless little runt. He does not have his wages garnished by his cheating ex-wife.

No, he is a free man, and thus happy - or as happy as anyone can be.

Comment

If you play video games all day and are a grown man, then you are the one living the sad life and I feel very sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post
                    Consider the following:

Who cares about "respect" or "dignity" or "shame"? In our post-modern society these terms have lost all meaning. You are no longer connected to your family, your ancestors, or your nation. You are simply a beast whose sole reason for existence is pleasure. God is dead, don't you know that?

To justify your labor you have to delude yourself. The free man, the man living off the government teet, has accepted reality. He is a learned man, an educated man, who sees how futile and pointless it is to live up to the expectations of others.

So he stays in his basement, jacks off, and plays video games. He does not spend 40 hours a week banging his head against a desk. He does not spend 18 years of his life raising a useless little runt. He does not have his wages garnished by his cheating ex-wife.

No, he is a free man, and thus happy - or as happy as anyone can be.
                    I'm aware of those things, but that man you speak of is a weak, pathetic man who has no pride in himself or his appearance. We all know the system is rigged it doesn't mean we're going to lay down and die in a studio apartment eating spam. I rather labour and reap the rewards, and have satisfaction. Go read some more Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                      I'm aware of those things, but that man you speak of is a weak, pathetic man who has no pride in himself or his appearance. We all know the system is rigged it doesn't mean we're going to lay down and die in a studio apartment eating spam. I rather labour and reap the rewards, and have satisfaction. Go read some more Nietzsche.
                      What a powerfully brutal statement. I think this is the best post I've ever read.

God bless you. I mean it.

Comment

Working...
                      X