New Horizons: first detailed photos ever taken of Pluto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Horizons: first detailed photos ever taken of Pluto

http://qz.com/453144/nasa-just-poste...-to-instagram/

Nine years and three billion miles in the making, NASA spacecraft New Horizons returned a beautiful photo of Pluto today—by far the most detailed one ever taken. This morning at 7:49 AM ET, New Horizons sped past Pluto at 30,800 miles per hour, while its suite of instruments gathered data about the dwarf planet.

Stephen Hawking, the Cambridge cosmologist, joined in congratulating the New Horizons team in a recorded message.

“Billions of miles from Earth this little robotic spacecraft will show us that first glimpse of mysterious Pluto, a distant icy world on the edge of our solar system. The revelations of New Horizons may help us to understand better how our solar system was formed. We explore because we are human and we long to know,” he said.

Are their alien b i t ches there ??

Comment

Very cool.

I felt bad when little Pluto was demoted.

Comment

New Horizons produces images of Pluto regularly. To experience the view from the unmanned spacecraft, NASA created Eyes on Pluto, an app that shows pictures of “where the spacecraft is looking and what its advanced instruments can see.”
        This blew my mind. We're here now being able to see pictures a spacecraft takes through an app. I just imagined in the future, who knows when, an app that will let you actually see what spacecrafts we send out to space in real live time see in video footage. It's crazy but I can see it happening some time in the future. Matter of fact, let's go deeper in the future, Best Buy, Amazon will be selling spacecrafts, you can send these spacecrafts out to space and an app let's you see what it sees lol. Spacecrafts will be more affordable at this time obviously, and they will be small but durable.

Comment

Comment

Photo leaked by NASA

Comment

Murica mother fukers.....

Comment

My brain can barely comprehend how far away this is, and how incredible it is that we have flown a tiny spacecraft to a small lump of rock 3 billion miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  My brain can barely comprehend how far away this is, and how incredible it is that we have flown a tiny spacecraft to a small lump of rock 3 billion miles away.
                  It's incredible isn't it? I saw a 10 episode show that was more detailed with Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson and he talked about light years. It was crazy how he even said as an astrophysicist, he cannot understand the distances and numbers.

To think, Pluto is in our neighborhood, imagine other galaxies and objects that are millions of light years away.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    It's incredible isn't it? I saw a 10 episode show that was more detailed with Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson and he talked about light years. It was crazy how he even said as an astrophysicist, he cannot understand the distances and numbers.

To think, Pluto is in our neighborhood, imagine other galaxies and objects that are millions of light years away.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.
                    Yeah i mean once I start thinking about what a 'light year' means (instead of it just being a unit of measurement) thats game over in terms of my brain being able to handle it.

Millions of light years? No way lol

The human brain isnt designed to think about stuff like that. Eg:

Someone showed me this and I refuse to believe that its real.

Last edited by Tom Cruise; 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X