No announcement yet.

Oscars 2015

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscars 2015

So the 87th Academy Awards was last night. Any surprises?

I thought that Birdman was an odd choice for Best Picture. Michael Keaton and Ed Norton were fantastic, the cinematography was mind blowing and the story was compelling but the whole thing seemed a bit... weird... for an Oscar film. I enjoyed it immensely but I don't think it was as good as The Imitation Game.

Eddie Redmayne is a great actor and deserved the nod for Stephen Hawking, even though I called it as an Oscar winner when the film was announced. You'd have to seriously fuck up to avoid winning playing Hawking.

I was pleasantly surprised that Big Hero Six won the best animated feature, although had the LEGO Movie been nominated (as it should have been) it would have deserved the nod. I just felt that Disney's new franchise had he right mix of action, humour and sentimentality to make it a worthy winner, but the LEGO Movie was more innovative and was snubbed not only in the lack of a nomination but in not getting the nod for Best Original Song, Everything Is Awesome. LEGO Movie should have been there, but given the options I'm glad that Big Hero Six was winner.

I'm also pleased that the animated short that was shown with Big Hero 6 also took home gold. Feast was a beautiful bit of film making, a dialogue free story told through the eyes of a hungry puppy. It would have brought a tear to my eye to watch, except that I am a terribly manly man who was too busy eating raw steaks and punching terrorists to feel emotions.

Interstellar deserved it for best VFX. Such a shame the rest of the film was shit.

God hates you, you elitist twat.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
      God hates you, you elitist twat.
      American Sniper shud of winned LAMO dem ******s got by dat snypez! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Comment

Admittedly I didn't watch American Sniper. No interest.

Comment

Kurosawa, Cuebrick and that Swedish fella are all garbage compared to Nolan.

Fax that to your gynaecologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
            Kurosawa, Cuebrick and that Swedish fella are all garbage compared to Nolan.

Nolan makes serious films like Batman, Batman and Batman therefore ELITISM!

Comment

I liked Unbroken the best of all the 2015 movies I've seen - great inspirational movie - but sadly it only received one nomination and no awards.

I also liked American Sniper, glad to see it won at least one award from it's several nominations.

Eddie Redmayne deserved his Best Actor award.

I thought Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl and Reese Witherspoon in Wild gave great performances, and either one or the other would have been a good choice for Best Actress (but I haven't yet seen Still Alice with Julianne Moore).

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
              Kurosawa, Kubrick and that Swedish fella are all garbage compared to Nolan.

There are many much better directors than Nolan, including Stanley Kubrick and Ingmar Bergman, as well and many others from Cecil De Mille in the 1930s to Alfred Hitchcock at his best in the 1950s to prime Ridley Scott in the 90s and early 2000s.

Nolan is decent, but he's nothing special.

Comment

So that's now 12 nominations without a win for Roger Deakins, the master.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                  So that's now 12 nominations without a win for Roger Deakins, the master.
                  yeah, deakins is one of the greatest cinematographers in recent history. he at least deserves a lifetime achievement award if he never gets a win for any of his films.

Unbroken is a very inspirational story of a really tough man, it deserved to be in more categories

Nolan is a good director, but no way I'd put him near Kubrick, danny boyle is very underrated in my opinion, but none of these current directors are artistic geniuses.

Comment

yes i had hoped Roger Deakins got it this time, though the winner Emmanuel Lubezski is good too

Comment

Working...
                    X