Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the French language soo widely used??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good responses from Paulf, and Razor Ramon.

Up through the 1980's, France used to protect their former colonial subjects, and dump lots of military, and economic resources into them. In hopes that the French language would one day be the major language of trade throughout the globe as the world moved more towards a Type I civilization.

But I think they realize now that English is pretty much going to win that race - as the international "medium" language.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi108 View Post
      Why French crossing soo many borders? France has more influence on its neighbours than vice versa, in the age we live right now which is not napoleons or the French empires time, what use do these countries have for French language, why don't they just ditch the language all together, use their own languages and English as a second language.
      because is part of their's history, many asian country colonised by british like malaysia and india has english as the national language. INDON was colonised by the dutch and guess what many of us can still speak dutch fluently.

And the majority of the world still think french language is still the sexiest tongue, so many people try to learn it.
      Last edited by betmen; 10-11-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

It used to be the language of diplomacy:

From wikipedia - "French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations in the 17th century. It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century"

Also- the language of love (translation: the language of getting your dick wet haha amiright)

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
          It used to be the language of diplomacy:

From wikipedia - "French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations in the 17th century. It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century"
          In a big part this is because the British Empire insisted that its military officers and diplomats learn French. After all for most of that time it's who they were going to be fighting.

Comment

It's called Imperialism. It used to be the thing in Europe.

Comment

Probably the second most influential power of the early modern era.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                Probably the second most influential power of the early modern era.
                I'd say that Spain is; pretty much all of South, and Central America was colonized by them. But I suppose you could make an argument for France, as they had a heavy presence in Africa.

I admire the French mostly because of Charles Martel - who owned the Muslims, and stopped them from taking over Europe back in the 700's. He literally saved Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyJoeJoee View Post
                  I'd say that Spain is; pretty much all of South, and Central America was colonized by them.
                  In the sixteenth and seventeenth century. The early modern era is from the late 18th to the late 19th centuries.

By the early 19th century Spain was reduced to lame team ups with France against Britain which they always lost. Like the Iron Sheikh and Sgt Slaughter against Hulk Hogan.

Comment

Interesting to note that if several conflicts (Plassey, Seven Years' War) had gone the other way, France might have gone on to be THE great power

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      In the sixteenth and seventeenth century. The early modern era is from the late 18th to the late 19th centuries.

By the early 19th century Spain was reduced to lame team ups with France against Britain which they always lost. Like the Iron Sheikh and Sgt Slaughter against Hulk Hogan.
                      I'm sure it's a case of semantics, but I always thought early modern era was defined from the 1500's onward - around the Renaissance. Wikipedia, and other sources seem to agree. So I guess I'm right.

But I lol'd at the old school wrestling analogies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_Europe

http://chnm.gmu.edu/wwh/modules/lesson4/lesson4.php?s=0

http://www.flowofhistory.com/units/eme/

Comment

Working...
                      X