Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America vs UK - Best Contribution to Music?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Who invented rock then? England?

How is that possible when rock comes from the blues, the blues originates from negro spirituals.

Please tell me how England created rock, since every music historian credits American artists for the genre.

Lol that's not inventing a genre as a whole. That's like claiming dudes from the Mediterranean invented every genre because the oldest song we know of started there. So everything derives from some sort of cuneiform writing lol.

Syria >America

How did America invent metal by the way?

Comment

Ok that's fine, but Celtic and English folk music isn't what we know today to be Country.

I said "modern" music. If we play that game, then all music originated in Africa and Africa beats everyone....LOL
      The discussion should be popular music since 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
        Lol that's not inventing a genre as a whole. That's like claiming dudes from the Mediterranean invented every genre because the oldest song we know of started there. So everything derives from some sort of cuneiform writing lol.

Syria >America

How did America invent metal by the way?
        No it's not, bad comparison. Rock as we know it in modern music is an American invention my friend.

You can't keep going back and back to the point where cavemen were beating sticks on bones.

There's a reason there's a saying that goes "As American as Rock and Roll".

Rock was a genre of music invented in America.

Comment

Ok that's fine, but Celtic and English folk music isn't what we know today to be Country.

I said "modern" music. If we play that game, then all music originated in Africa and Africa beats everyone....LOL
          Ok that's fine but the rhythm and blues based rock and roll is not what we know as rock today. You can't have it both ways.

Like I said music is organic. People shouldn't get bogged down with who invented what.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
            Ok that's fine but the rhythm and blues based rock and roll is not what we know as rock today. You can't have it both ways.

Like I said music is organic. People shouldn't get bogged down with who invented what.
            But it's still American though...lol

It would be like you saying that Salsa or Merengue is not Cuban, Puerto Rican or Dominican because it has it's roots in Africa. While the rhythms are African based, the music is very much Caribbean.

Comment

No it's not, bad comparison. Rock as we know it in modern music is an American invention my friend.

You can't keep going back and back to the point where cavemen were beating sticks on bones.

There's a reason there's a saying that goes "As American as Rock and Roll".

Rock was a genre of music invented in America.

Hey you were the one that brought up the negro spirituals so I went further back.

OK sure rock and roll does have its roots in the US but the entire list of Rock music sub genres began almost entirely somewhere else.

Those sub genres are what we consider Rock music today.

Again how did America invent Metal?

Comment

Al Gore invented the internet

/Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
                  Hey you were the one that brought up the negro spirituals so I went further back.

OK sure rock and roll does have its roots in the US but the entire list of Rock music sub genres began almost entirely somewhere else.

Those sub genres are what we consider Rock music today.

Again how did America invent Metal?
                  You can't make assertions, you have to provide facts. Metal is an off shoot of what people considered traditional rock and roll. Sure, there were great metal bands in the UK, but it was first seen in America.

Just like Punk Rock, most think it comes from the UK but it doesn't. It was in NYC before it made it's way to England.

Comment

You can't make assertions, you have to provide facts. Metal is an off shoot of what people considered traditional rock and roll. Sure, there were great metal bands in the UK, but it was first seen in America.

Just like Punk Rock, most think it comes from the UK but it doesn't. It was in NYC before it made it's way to England.
                    Explain how it comes from NYC. Perhaps cite some acts?

I'm genuinely interested and willing to condeed this point if you can provide evidence.

I imagine it's the same for the other few people who want to know why you think Metal comes from America.

Comment

But it's still American though...lol

It would be like you saying that Salsa or Merengue is not Cuban, Puerto Rican or Dominican because it has it's roots in Africa. While the rhythms are African based, the music is very much Caribbean.
                      So how come you say metal is American? It is British music with American origins. By the above criteria that would make it British, but I've got a feeling you are going to tell me I'm wrong...

Comment

Working...
                      X