No announcement yet.

The official lounge stock market & investment advice thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tomjas View Post
    Might cost me a bit of money in the short term but I am pretty much cashed up as some valuations are way over the top and interest rates/inflation are likely to increase.

What's more (and this will sound completely irrational to some), when I see that Jeff Bezos is the worlds wealthiest man due to his shareholding in a perennial loss maker, my gut tells me that something is amiss
    Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    I agree with your sentiment that valuations are out of control right now, I'm standing on the sidelines. Not even going to invest in index funds until i see some dips.

Tomjas and I were telling y’all a month ago

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
      Check back in forty years. We are dealing in index funds. We will see the benefits in 40 years. We should be millionaires by then.
      lol

Well if you invested like I said when this thread started in the summer of 2014, you would be up by over 100% and growing
      cool cool, how much have you raised your value in these stocks.

You started with ? and now have ?

Comment

• Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
        lol

cool cool, how much have you raised your value in these stocks.

You started with ? and now have ?
        I started with $500 as a teenager in the 1990s, I now have a few hundred thousand dollars at the age of 36.

Index funds and undervalued stocks, with a splash of longterm growth stocks.. I hardly ever sell. Reinvest the dividends and pay into it when you can.

I have been thru a tech boom, a housing crisis, a financial crisis, and held the entire time, and those dividends kept paying and I kept reinvesting and swallowing up stocks.

The real key to building gains is reinvesting dividends, as this allows you to gain more shares of stock each year, and this your pie is forever is getting bigger. Over a longer period time the gains are huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          I started with $500 as a teenager in the 1990s, I now have a few hundred thousand dollars at the age of 36.

Index funds and undervalued stocks, with a splash of longterm growth stocks.. I hardly ever sell. Reinvest the dividends and pay into it when you can.

I have been thru a tech boom, a housing crisis, a financial crisis, and held the entire time, and those dividends kept paying and I kept reinvesting and swallowing up stocks.

The real key to building gains is reinvesting dividends, as this allows you to gain more shares of stock each year, and this your pie is forever is getting bigger. Over a longer period time the gains are huge.
          sounds good. Ima look more into it, will read the thread.

I never really cared cause money came in too slow but now I love slow money lol.

Comment

Good stuff

Like you, I rarely sell and keep reinvesting the dividends

I tend to follow the Buffett principle of investing in only investing in companies with good long term growth prospects, solid management and in industries that I know something about

Then I usually just chuck them in the bottom draw unless something about the company or market changes

I've also never borrowed to buy stocks

Comment

• Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
              sounds good. Ima look more into it, will read the thread.

I never really cared cause money came in too slow but now I love slow money lol.
              Cool dude, good luck to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomjas View Post
                Good stuff

Like you, I rarely sell and keep reinvesting the dividends

I tend to follow the Buffett principle of investing in only investing in companies with good long term growth prospects, solid management and in industries that I know something about

Then I usually just chuck them in the bottom draw unless something about the company or market changes

I've also never borrowed to buy stocks

You are exactly like me..

Never borrowed for stocks, no margin trading, no leverage.

I read everything Buffett says because the guy really does have it figured out.

Spotting undervalued stocks so you get a nice price point entry. Holding and getting those dividends reinvested.

The shyt adds up

Comment

Smart move for all young beginning investors is to put your money in index funds.. They
                  are low cost, some even no cost if u use one of your brokerage's index fund, which is what I do with some of my money.. It's the best and easiest way to build value over time.. Putting 100 bucks a month into an index fund from the ages 25 to 65 would give you a huge nest egg in your old age

I advise to put your first 10 thousand into index funds that track the Dow, S P 500, Nasdaq
                  Ok, first thing you do is set aside some cash, at least 500-1000 bucks.. Most minimum investments when starting an account require initial investment of 500$ roughly..

2. Find a brokerage company you feel comfortable with.. I would recommend the one I use Charles schwab, but there are others like e-trade, scottrade, etc..
                  All these companies have websites and so just google them and check them out.. Look for fees and trading commission.. A flat fee for commission is best, at schwab I pay 8.95 per trade, but others like e-trade have them as low as 4.95 and have special deals like no commission for your first 6 months.
                  I like schwab because it has a long track record, have replaced money that was ripped off by identify theft, and they are very low cost for being a major brokerage.. Plus they have a good website, and a 24/7 help line, and every time I have called with a question they give great customer support, even if it's over 200 dollar trade and not thousands of dollars.. I highly recommend them, but use whoever you want

3. Decide what type of account you want, there are several types..
                  ROTH IRA or standard IRA -individual retirement account is an account where you can put money into and it's tax free when you take it out.. But there is a limit about 5,500 each year and you can't touch it till your 65 years old..
                  Then there are just standard accounts, which you can put unlimited money in and touch it anytime but there is usually big fees if you withdraw within the first 30 days, but afterwards nothing but your commission fees in each trade, and when money comes out it is taxed.. I usually invest in my Roth IRA til I hit the limit then use my standard account the rest of the year

4. Once my account is open and I have money in there, I would buy an index fund at each month put money into it.. It's very easy to buy stock once you have an account open.. I do all my online and never have to talk to anyone, it's very convenient.. If you sign in and surf the we page you will see the options to buy or sell and it's very easy.. Each investment has a ticker symbol, like apple is appl, or 3d systems is DDD, you can search for different symbols and just click and buy..

4. I highly suggest depending on your age to open an IRA preferable a Roth IRA. From there, find an index fund that tracks an index, and simply plug money in each month.. Doing this every month for 15,35,35 years, and reinvesting the dividends, you will have a huge nest egg once you hit 65 and are allowed to take it out with no fees or taxes..

An index fund is a fund that owns shares in all the stocks in a category..
                  Down jones index- has all money invested in Dow jones stocks-which are the biggest companies in the world spread across different business areas ie technology, oil, banks, manufacturing, etc..
                  I use an S&P index that owns shares in all the top 500 companies.
                  There are tech indexes that just invest in all tech companies..
                  China index invests in all china, etc etc..

If you were just now 65 years old and could touch your money and had been investing in index funds for 40 years or since the age of 25 in 1974.. You would be a millionaire or damn close to it...
                  Bumped for bigjavi973

Comment

• Thanks a ton

Comment

• Sell short SPY or something similar tmrw morning.

Cohn resigning from trump administration, plus Monday and Tuesday both had strong gains.

Look for an early sell off tmrw, but watch the market in the afternoon and get squeezed.

Ideally sell short first thing in the morning and close it by 10am with a nice 1-3% gain in a few hours

Comment

Working...
                      X