Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for people to live by high moral standards without religion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Yes and we humans created the root of all evil, which is religion.
    How is religion the root of ALL evil?

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
    Any one can live by high moral standards, but to what end? What are you doing it for.
    Because its the right thing to do.
    We judge what is good behaviour based on how it affects others. Ultimately its about making life better. Thats the vision; realising the consequences of our actions not just for today, but for future generations.

But 'high moral standards' isnt easily defined.

Comment

i think religion is created because we humans have this fear of death or finality

we can't accept the fact that we will all return to dust someday, almost every religion i know always preaches this "life after death" or some kind of celestial plane that we would go after we die

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
        i think religion is created because we humans have this fear of death or finality

we can't accept the fact that we will all return to dust someday, almost every religion i know always preaches this "life after death" or some kind of celestial plane that we would go after we die
        I think it was created as a way of understanding ourselves and our surroundings. A way to try and answer the questions that pop up in our naturally inquisitive heads.

Obviously as time went on and we began to be able to rationally explain who and where we are, religion became more and more marginalized. To the point where now the only space for god(s) is in death and 'before the universe existed'

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Secular countries like Japan have very high moral standards. They don't need religion and a supernatural being to enforce morality. .
          There are aspects of Japanese culture that we in the west would largely regard as being very unethical. For example the status of women, treatment of foreigners and especially ethnic minorities, and the culture of honour that exists resulting in most of the population being over stressed and overworked and with a high rate of suicide.

Very low rates of crime though.

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
          Yes and we humans created the root of all evil, which is religion.
          I used to see religion as the root of all evil, but my stance has softened of late. Religion is backward, regressive and harmful and stands in the way of humanism and progress far more than it promotes those things, but the sort of blind and fearful devotion it commands is more a symptom than a cause of the worst aspects of human folly.

Comment

Any one can live by high moral standards, but to what end? What are you doing it for.

Vision is the most important thing. You can't be truly spiritual unless you have vision.
            This is something I always have to shake my head at. Why are we doing it for? Because we are alive, that's why.

We have to live in this reality, we have to interact with millions of people, we have relationships with people that are incredibly important to us.

We choose to be moral because it benefits not only us, but the community. It's not about thinking what world we will inhabit once we are dead, it's about appreciating the world in which we live.

If the afterlife is so important to you, and it's such a wonderful place, then why don't you commit suicide? I mean, you get to skip all this suffering, and this terrible world religious people keep claiming it to be, and you will be in heaven with god.

Comment

No matters whether a person is religious or not in a society, you should always think as a human being. I have seen a lot cases that people consider that they are far much better than others on the basis of their religion, Its Just a Rape of morality for me. We should not apply our own thoughts to the world. I fact we should accept the rules that has to be followed in the world for morlal values. Thanks

Comment

Vision is the most important thing. You can't be truly spiritual unless you have vision.
                Why does there need to be a reason or agenda for living a moral life?

Being a good person in exchange for a reward or because of fear of punishment is selfish.

Comment

Science finds God!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TVglj3IV8K-7AQ

Comment

Originally posted by 80'sDoStew! View Post
                    Article is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      Article is stupid.
                      you're stupid

Comment

Working...