Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What movies won Oscar for "Best Picture" but in your opinion weren't all that good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Hurt Locker

Crash

Gladiator

Not that they weren't good, I just think they are severely overrated. I just saw Gravity, and it was entertaining but I don't know how it was nominated.
    That was easily the most overrated film of the year. Good list, but I thought gladiator kicked ass.

I would say Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan was probably one of the worst snubs in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Senormous View Post
      I would say Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan was probably one of the worst snubs in history.
      Shakespeare in Love is a womens' movie.

I didn't enjoy it myself, but a lot of women enjoy stuff like that.

Most men prefer movies like Saving Private Ryan.

Comment

Driving Miss Daisy (beat My Left Foot and Born on the 4th of July)

Dances with Wolves (beat Goodfellas)

Forrest Gump. Still a good movie but IMO, The Shawshank Redemption should have won.

Chicago (beat Gangs of New York and the Pianist) One of the gayest movies of all time

Crash-completely **** movie. Beating any other movie is a travesty.

The Hurt Locker was decent but I thought it was extremely overrated. Zero Dark thirty was way better, which lost to another overrated movie in Argo

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
          Shakespeare in Love is a womens' movie.

I didn't enjoy it myself, but a lot of women enjoy stuff like that.

Most men prefer movies like Saving Private Ryan.
          I know but regardless, Saving Private Ryan was easily the better movie and I think the Academy should have realized that, although they make some bull**** calls quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Senormous View Post
            Zero Dark thirty was way better, which lost to another overrated movie in Argo
            I would have chosen Zero Dark Thirty over Argo.

Argo was okay but not great, while the last 30 minutes of Zero Dark Thirty were epic.

Comment

I would have chosen Zero Dark Thirty over Argo.

Argo was okay but not great, while the last 30 minutes of Zero Dark Thirty were epic.
              Hell yea, I thought the movie was interesting as hell right from the beginning and the ending was the icing on the cake. I think they were probably hesitant to give it to Katherine Bigelow again because she had just won best picture for The Hurt Locker.

Comment

Some of these are political... I think The Departed was a fine movie and all, but its winning was, IMO, a blatant "Scorsese should have won at least once, and the **** might be dead soon... we'd better give him one."

Likewise, on an actor win, was Sidney Poitier's Oscar-winning perf. REALLY Lilies of the Field?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Hurt Locker

Crash

Gladiator

Not that they weren't good, I just think they are severely overrated. I just saw Gravity, and it was entertaining but I don't know how it was nominated.
                  Gravity was atrociously bad. I have honestly never been more disappointed by a movie. The effects were great, great effect... the movie was just awful. Why would anyone be interested in listening to an ancient sandra bullock pant for an hour like a neurotic old hag?

Comment

What movies won Oscar for "Best Picture" but were really not that good in your opinion?

Here's a list of Oscar Winners for Best Picture:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academy...-pictures.html

Here's another list, this one includes nominees:

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aca...r_Best_Picture
                    All these western made movies, aren't you concerned that they are all *******?

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                      All these western made movies, aren't you concerned that they are all *******?
                      No.

But as Anorak said, sometimes the Oscar choices are political rather than simply choosing the best movie.

Comment

Working...
                      X