No announcement yet.

Progressive Rock / Fusion Music

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Rock / Fusion Music

Can people post good progressive rock and fusion music? These are two of my favorite genre's since so much experimentation comes from this music. These dudes push the boundaries of music, at least within rock and jazz. I will start with a couple of videos. Post videos.

Allan Holdsworth

Billy Cobham

Kazumi Watanabe

Casiopea

Weather Report

Comment

I listen to a website that has quite a few genres of progresive music, i stream them, so i can't post vids, check out their site and listen. You can listen for free, make playlists via vlc or most players. Very good quality, listener supported.

http://somafm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
        I listen to a website that has quite a few genres of progresive music, i stream them, so i can't post vids, check out their site and listen. You can listen for free, make playlists via vlc or most players. Very good quality, listener supported.

http://somafm.com/
        Thank you. Here is a great album by a group called Happy The Man. I've only recently discovered it through youtube links. That's a great way to find good music.

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

Here's some of my favorites

If you want discover some prog and fusion bands, this is a really good site for it.
            http://www.progarchives.com/

Comment

Anything with John Mclaughlin is usually pretty awesome. If you know Holdworth, you probalby know Mclaughlin already though.

Birds of fire

Shatki is sort indian music inspired fusion band. It's acoustic guitar, violin, and some weird indian drumming instruments.

Super Guitar Trio with Al Di Meola, Larry Coryell and Birelli Lagrene.

Naked City with John Zorn for all out crazy weirdness

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post

This is badass. Can't believe I hadn't heard of ELP before. I can tell they obviously had a huge influence on Dream theater. (my favorite band)

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
                I'm currently listening to this. Some good stuff here.

Originally posted by Kris Silver View Post
                No thanks.
                Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
                  Here's some of my favorites

If you want discover some prog and fusion bands, this is a really good site for it.
                  http://www.progarchives.com/
                  All three are great: Al Dimeola, Return to Forever, and Emerson Lake & Palmer. I have several albums from the first two, but not Emerson Lake & Palmer. Al Dimeola has that Mediterranean sound to his guitar playing, like a certain musical scale he uses alot. I also rediscovered Progarchives yesterday, but don't know how to use it yet.
                  Last edited by sparkman0811; 02-09-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    Anything with John Mclaughlin is usually pretty awesome. If you know Holdworth, you probalby know Mclaughlin already though.

Birds of fire

Shatki is sort indian music inspired fusion band. It's acoustic guitar, violin, and some weird indian drumming instruments.

Super Guitar Trio with Al Di Meola, Larry Coryell and Birelli Lagrene.

Naked City with John Zorn for all out crazy weirdness
                    Yeah, these are good videos you posted. John Mclaughlin is great. Although I have many Mahavishnu albums, I haven't listened to them extensively. I need to remember to listen to them, since I am sure they have good music.

Comment

Working...
                    X