Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown head gasket/engine. Is it worth repairing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Blown head gasket/engine. Is it worth repairing?

Long story short, my car broke down Sunday morning due to a leaky coolant and oil spill, and the head gasket and radiator are now damaged goods. What should i do? Is the car worth saving? Should i just sell it to a junk car buyer? It'll cost me $3,300 to get an engine, radiator, spark plugs, water pump, ect replacements.

So did it cause your engine to overheat? Have you had it checked out?

Is it worth it? What kind of car is it? How old?

Comment

Originally posted by Hustler *LS View Post
      So did it cause your engine to overheat? Have you had it checked out?

Is it worth it? What kind of car is it? How old?
      2008 hyundai sonata. Yes, it did overheated and white smoke came under the hood, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
        2008 hyundai sonata. Yes, it did overheated and white smoke came under the hood, ect.
        08 sonata , hell nah..u gettin juiced for over 3 stacks ..

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
          I personally would put the $3,300 or however much you said into something else. You can buy a decent car for that much that will get you from point a to b.

I bought a 97 Honda Accord 2 years ago for $1,700 and haven't put any thing into it other than gas/oil change. Sorry to hear about that, I've had bad luck with cars. I check my fluids and everything weekly now because of past mishaps.

Comment

If your car is worth 5k, the putting 3k into it isn't worth it. How much is your car worth?

Comment

NO! Hyundai parts are way too expensive, time to get rid of her.

It would only cost have of that to repair if it was an American car, just saying.

Comment

How are you gonna junk a 2008 car? Lol

$3K sounds like a lot tho, and it shouldn't have happened to a fairly new car

Comment

don't hundai's have a lengthy warrantee on the power train?

first thing i'd do is call the manufacturer and see if you are still under warrantee.

you almost certainly don't want to drop three grand into an '08 sonata. what's it worth?

what will they offer you for trade?

i hate to say this, but it sounds like you're in teh market for a new car.

bring it to a dealership and tell them that you want good trade value toward a new purchase, lease, used car, etc. that may be the fastest way to get you some value out of that hoe. my engine went in my WRX, and i had to let it go for next to nothing.

Comment

See what Honda say, look into that side of it. Something so serious shouldn't be going wrong on a what, 5 year old car. I had an engine go on a Toyota, it was like 9 years old and just beyond the mileage/time frame Toyota considered covering it as it was a known fault. In the end I sold the car to a breaker on a Celica forum, you can get fairly good prices as parts can be highly sought after.

Comment

Working...
                    X