Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown head gasket/engine. Is it worth repairing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your warranty. If you ain't covered you can either save your money or go to a wreckers and see if they have the parts you need then find a mechanic who will help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
      2008 hyundai sonata. Yes, it did overheated and white smoke came under the hood, ect.
      Depends how many miles it has on it and how loaded it is. But a stripped 4 cyl model with 75K miles is worth 7,500, so I'd say it's worth fixing. 150K miles takes that down to 4,500, in which case I'd junk it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm about to sell it as we speak. I'm just waiting for the towing guy to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          Depends how many miles it has on it and how loaded it is. But a stripped 4 cyl model with 75K miles is worth 7,500, so I'd say it's worth fixing. 150K miles takes that down to 4,500, in which case I'd junk it.
          When i bought it, it was a used car and had 130k miles, and now it has 160k miles. Looks like i'm gonna have to swallow my pride and buy a cheap $1,500+ from my uncle's car dealership. It's either this or take the bus. lol

Comment

When i bought it, it was a used car and had 130k miles, and now it has 160k miles. Looks like i'm gonna have to swallow my pride and buy a cheap $1,500+ from my uncle's car dealership. It's either this or take the bus. lol

Just like a Heat fan ! "What should I do ?!" "What should I do ?"

Take that ***** 2 your uncle and have him rebuild engine. He knows how 2 get parts and rebuild engine or re do heads on da cheap.

Now if you go out and buy another lil scrapper you might turn around and find yourself in the same boat in the near future.

At least you know what your dealing with and have an uncle who knows how 2 get stuff done on da cheap. Unless he's strictly business !!!

Comment

Unless that 3,300 includes a low mileage replacement engine or a full rebuild of yours and your car is fairly loaded like with a V-6 and leather, you're probably better off with something else. Tough decision though, 2008 is pretty new.

Looks like your Hyundai had a 10 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty, so you're out of luck there.

Comment

Working...
              X