Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has SETI detected no signals from extra-terrestrial life?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has SETI detected no signals from extra-terrestrial life?

SETI Finds No Alien Signals from Exoplanets

http://www.space.com/19703-intellige...nets-seti.html

For this search, a team targeted 104 stars with planets discovered by the Kepler Telescope. Still nothing.

Intelligent alien life is likely relatively rare throughout our Milky Way galaxy, with fewer than one in a million solar systems harboring civilizations advanced enough to send out radio signals, a new study reports.

"No signals of extraterrestrial origin were found," the researchers conclude in the study, which has been accepted for publication in The Astrophysical Journal.

The team selected 86 stars using data from NASA's planet-hunting Kepler space telescope, and also observed 19 stars that serendipitously fell within range as they searched the primary targets. (One planet candidate turned out to be a false positive, reducing the total number of targets to 104.)

The researchers were working with the catalog of Kepler planetary candidates, which at the time included 1,235 possible exoplanets. (That number is now up to 2,740, with 105 of them confirmed to date.)
    Last edited by The Hammer; 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM.

"one in a million solar systems harboring civilizations advanced enough"?
    Have you tried finding an intelligent discussion in NSB?

Comment

Originally posted by horge View Post
      "one in a million solar systems harboring civilizations advanced enough"?

Have you tried finding an intelligent discussion in NSB?
      Or here in the lounge.

Making a thread like this in the lounge can often be like casting pearls to swine.

But that being said, there are some intelligent people who post both here and NSB.

Comment

I think that the main reason is not the size of space, it's the size of time. I mean SETI have been searching the skies for signals for what, 50 years? The universe is 11 billion years old! We're not just searching space for signals, we're searching a tiny patch of the available time for a society using radio waves.

Comment

Our understanding of measurable intelligence ends with our own. Do you bother communicating with ants?

Comment

They'd need bigger dishes than that, well outside of our solar system if they want a 'chance' at it.
            Iirc the solar system our humble planet is part of, in relation relation to our Milky-way... we are 'out in the sticks', and our Milky-way is 'out in the sticks' in what we know of the universe.

Universally speaking i'm quite sure we're 'geographically' (if you like) in the middle of nowhere so to speak, i must have been shit pissed when i read about this, i don't remember it too well....

It's along them lines, them satellites where pointless in the 1st place, get out our solar system 1st, for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
              Our understanding of measurable intelligence ends with our own. Do you bother communicating with ants?
              I communicate with my friends dog all the time. I say "sit" and he sits

Comment

If youve mastered galactic travel would you talk to us?

Comment

Were probably like the skeezy meth dealers that move into the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                    If youve mastered galactic travel would you talk to us?
                    How else would you get the latest on Money MAIIIII!?

Comment

Working...
                    X