No announcement yet.

Surfing and/or Windsurfing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Surfing and/or Windsurfing

I've always wanted to learn how to surf and windsurf but I've never took the time to learn. I like teaching myself stuff rather than to automatically resort to lessons.

Any surfers here? How did you learn? Do you recommend me taking lessons?

I'm going on vacation in July and will go to a beach where the waves are just big enough to surf on. A guy down there has a surf shop and does lessons but it's expensive.

Thanks

I used to surf and boogie board back in my young days (from the age of 7 till 16) in PR La Pared, Luquillo and kept doing it every summer when I went there on vacation after moving here now if I stand on a board I'll sink it

Windsurfing I tried a couple times but didn't like it

Comment

I say you try the boogie board first to get the feel cause surf boarding you can't just learn over night

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
        I used to surf and boogie board back in my young days (from the age of 7 till 16) in PR La Pared, Luquillo and kept doing it every summer when I went there on vacation after moving here now if I stand on a board I'll sink it

Windsurfing I tried a couple times but didn't like it
        I used to boogie board when I young as well. I had a mishap several years ago in Hawaii involving a boogie board, waves I had no business trying to surf and my head hitting the bottom of the beach...

I'll tell ya story some other time....

Anyway, I'm going down to Rhode Island where the biggest wave might be 5 feet high and the worst injury you might get is a bad sunburn.

I will go back to Hawaii one day to conquer those waves...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          I used to boogie board when I young as well. I had a mishap several years ago in Hawaii involving a boogie board, waves I had no business trying to surf and my head hitting the bottom of the beach...

I'll tell ya story some other time....

Anyway, I'm going down to Rhode Island where the biggest wave might be 5 feet high and the worst injury you might get is a bad sunburn.

I will go back to Hawaii one day to conquer those waves...
          I hear you, I've been thru a couple of those situations where you get thrown all around the ocean floor and can't tell which way is up but anyways...

5 feet waves
          You a straight up daredevil!

Have fun on your vacation and don't forget to wear your floaties at all times lol!

Comment

I think it would be great to learn to surf or wind surf. I've water skied a few times but that pretty different.

Comment

You don't need lessons..Just start off with like a 7 foot soft top beginner board and ride the breaks..Dont try to ride big waves on a board like that...Once you get the hang of it and know how to paddle with he wave and get up on your board, then you can rent out a short board and get out there in the lineup with the big dogs

Comment

just stand up paddle board bro.

Comment

I have been on two surfing trips in the past 2 years to Costa Rica. I'm not very good but I have the basics down. It took me about 20 hours on my own to catch a wave, but once I did it I kept on learning and getting better.

I only had one lesson and it was $50. In my opinion you need one lesson so you can learn the bare bones of surfing and get pushed into a few waves by an instructor so you know the right feeling of when the wave is carrying you.

In that lesson I was on a 9ft board. The first board I bought was 8ft 6 and more recently on my last trip I had advanced to a 7ft 5 board.

If you cheap out and don't get one lesson, then you'll really struggle. I have taught a few people what I know and some did ok, however a few needed a lesson.

One thing I will tell you, (Because I wish someone had told me.) buy a rash guard that fits correctly. I had one a few years ago that was one size too big, after a month I ended up with a hole in my chest that my little finger would fit it. The right rash guard will stop this from happening. Also, at the bottom of the shirt should be a small loop, tie your board shorts into that loop to prevent the shirt from rolling up your chest and exposing it to the fiberglass on the board.

One last thing, paddle if you want it!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted in the thread - let's keep the suggestions coming.

Also, anyone have any experience with wind surfing? Paddle boards?

Comment

Working...
                    X