Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennis heads: Who's taking Wimbledon this year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
    lolwhat. You do realise he won the last Wimbledon right beating Djokovic and Murray back to back and then got to the final of the Olympics on grass...

Federer has the most natural grass court game out of all of the guys who are seen as potential winners. He is past it but it was only a year ago he won this thing. With his age he has slowed down a bit and is inconsistent compared to his prime but ON HIS DAY he can beat anyone.

Nadal is just better than Murray on grass because of how effective his game is once the grass starts to wear out and the court starts to get slower, ball bounces higher and essentially starts playing like a clay court from the baseline especially. He is the favorite against Federer on grass at this point in Federers career, that ability of Federer to hit winners anywhere off the court constantly is pretty much gone for the most part, he can do it occasionally but most of the time it'll be an unforced error. He loses against Djokovic though...those who have seen their matches since 2011 will know this. Federer has a game which is completely countered by Nadal's game, the only reason Federer has as many wins as he has is because of how good he naturally is. Djokovic has a great return, great double-handed backhand (extremely important vs that lefty serve) and he's a very complete player apart from his abysmal overhead put aways and while his net game is adequate it's not on the level of a Murray/Federer/Tsonga. He can beat Nadal anywhere on the court. Nadal probably has a better forehand than him but Djokovics serve/backhand are miles better, plus Nadal often does not have a plan b.

Murray was really impressive last year on grass but he's been injured recently so we will have to see how his body holds up at Queens club pre-Wimbledon. He has a good grass game, he has good movement, a powerful serve (when he gets his 1st serve working), good net skills and a solid backhand. His forehand isn't great, he tends to get too passive with it at times and this allows people to get into the point. I can see him beating anyone on grass as long as he gets out of the first week where he has been proven to be suspect. I'm not convinced he can beat Nadal on the grass, but he can beat Djokovic if he plays 100%/has the fans support and hopes Djokovic is not at his best AND he can beat Federer if Federer goes into errormode.

1)Djokovic
    2)Nadal
    3)Federer
    4)Murray
    5)Tsonga (He has a game which is very suited for grass but he's inconsistent)
    I usually favor Roger on grass. He owns that court. But Djokovic will bring the heat. I seea Djokovic-Nadal final. Unless they purposefully match up Roger away from Djokovic and Nadal's half.

Murray is always game but he pisses me off when he isn't aggressive. He can beat anyone until he goes into a defensive shell 6ft behind the baseline. Playing like Wozniacki or ome shyt.

Comment

I think Djokovic will win it pretty easily.

He almost beat Nadal on clay ffs.

Serena Williams will drop about 5 games in the whole tournament.

Comment

i seriously think it's nadals to lose , bearing in mind if his knees hold up. nobody has got his tenacity on the court whether it be wimbledon or any other tournament , federer is obviously past his prime and in my opinion is the only person to really halt nadal on nadals best day.

not taking anything away from djokovic as he is a great player

Comment

If it all goes well, Djokovic should win it. I can't see anyone contending with him on Grass.

I just hope he avoids Federer, he always gives Djokovic problems.

Comment

Hopefully Federer. I can't stand the others style of play. Bores the piss out of me. Djokovic is the most tolerable out of the other 3.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              I wouldn't bet on it but Murray usually resorts to pushing for as long as he possibly can when its obvious he can't hang.

I don't think. Djokovic will be pushed much so by the fina he would be fresh while Rafa would have ran a marathon.
              I dont mean to clown you mate but i seriously dont think Murray can take Djokovic 6 sets

Originally posted by Arsene Knows View Post
              Hopefully Federer. I can't stand the others style of play. Bores the piss out of me. Djokovic is the most tolerable out of the other 3.
              Murray when he's attacking is a very entertaining player... once he goes into defence mode he's boring as ****. Tbh i wouldnt call any of the top 4 'boring', they are all great players who have between them played some of the greatest most entertaining matches in history...

Comment

Nadal is out in straight sets vs Darcis first round of Wimbledon. L O L. He's always going to be vulnerable round 1 simply because of how quick the surface is at the beginning of Wimbledon, ball bounces low and surface is quick. That does not suit Rafas game at all.

Comment

Well that's that. Rafa is gone, Djokovic has a pretty straight run to the finals. Ferrer isn't going to bother him. Djokovic likely takes Wimbledon unless one of those Swede beasts start hammering shots on the grass.

Anyone knows if Tsonga is in Djokovic's half? Still won't pose much of a threat but Tsonga is a top 10 player.

Comment

Voted for Nadal after he was already eliminated. lol.

I'm hoping for another epic Fed/Djoker match at some point. I haven't looked that bracket, but winner of that match takes it. I'm not sure how much Fed has left in the tank, but either of them would crush Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
                      Voted for Nadal after he was already eliminated. lol.

I'm hoping for another epic Fed/Djoker match at some point. I haven't looked that bracket, but winner of that match takes it. I'm not sure how much Fed has left in the tank, but either of them would crush Murray.
                      Murray can beat Federer so can Djokovic. They can all pretty much beat each other, it's just about who performs on the day. If we get the Federer that turned up in the Olympic 2012 finals then he's toast. He has to hope he does not expand much energy until he get's to the semis. If it got to the final, I would favor Federer over Murray because of his experience and track record vs Murray in slam finals but it's so close to call this year. Murray honestly seems to have improved his grass game (his forehand looks more potent especially), Federer has definitely declined more in the past year and Djokovic is still in great form (he played well despite losing to Nadal in the French Open final). Best time to beat Djokovic is early on like Nadal, the longer the tournament goes on, the more it suits his game. Though against Murray, he'd prefer a faster court and slower vs Federer (in Federers case it's more about the ball bounce, the lower the better than the court speed).

I'm a fan of Tsonga as well, he plays entertaining tennis and is capable of some great shot-making, he is inconsistent though...

Comment

Working...
                      X