Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest sportman ever

Sir Donald Bradman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman

Sir Donald George Bradman, AC (27 August 1908 – 25 February 2001), often referred to as "The Don", was an Australian cricketer, widely acknowledged as the greatest Test batsman of all time.[1] Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as statistically the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport.
    Wisden hailed Bradman as, "the greatest phenomenon in the history of cricket, indeed in the history of all ball games". Statistician Charles Davis analysed the statistics for several prominent sportsmen by comparing the number of standard deviations that they stand above the mean for their sport. The top performers in his selected sports are:
    Athlete Sport Statistic Standard deviations

Bradman Cricket Batting average 4.4

Pelé Association football Goals per game 3.7

Ty Cobb Baseball Batting average 3.6

Jack Nicklaus Golf Major titles 3.5

Michael Jordan Basketball Points per game 3.4

its not even close.

Cricket isn't really athletic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
      Cricket isn't really athletic though.
      have your played it ?

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...n+This+Morning

Nothing athletic about facing or propelling a 5 and a 1/4 ounce ball at someones head at 100 Mph for 6 hours a day over 5 days?

Then doing it again after 3 dyas rests over a 5 match series ?
      Last edited by Furn; 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Yes I have played it and I wouldn't really call it high intensity by any means.

Comment

Yes I have played it and I wouldn't really call it high intensity by any means.
          compared to?

Comment

Compared to boxing.

Shane Warne is considered the greatest spin bowler to play cricket.

As I recall he was overweight and a chain smoker in his prime, it says a lot about the game.

Comment

Compared to boxing.

Shane Warne is considered the greatest spin bowler to play cricket.

As I recall he was overweight and a chain smoker in his prime, it says a lot about the game.
              Well hes giving it to Liz Hurley and so what ? Have you faced a test level fast bowler ?

Maybe compared to boxing cricket seems easy but top boxers go about 100 minutes a year max

Thats not even the first morning session in cricket and if you **** up once your out.

Besides youre changing the subject. No one compares to Bradman when judged against his peers.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                Well hes giving it to Liz Hurley and so what ? Have you faced a test level fast bowler ?

Maybe compared to boxing cricket seems easy but top boxers go about 100 minutes a year max

Thats not even the first morning session in cricket and if you **** up once your out.

Besides youre changing the subject. No one compares to Bradman when judged against his peers.
                I'm not sure why you're asking whether I've faced a test level fast bowler when I'm not a professional cricketer.

It's like me asking you whether you've been punched in the face by a champion boxer.

Again back to my original point, cricket isn't really a strenuous sport compared to others so to claim Bradman as the greatest sportsman ever is a bit moot.

Comment

I'm not sure why you're asking whether I've faced a test level fast bowler when I'm not a professional cricketer.

It's like me asking you whether you've been punched in the face by a champion boxer.

Again back to my original point, cricket isn't really a strenuous sport compared to others so to claim Bradman as the greatest sportsman ever is a bit moot.
                  I never claimed boxing was any less of a sport than all the others, you are saying that about cricket. Show me a boxer that was statistically 4.4 times better than every single one his peers ?

Strenuous for who ? Cricketers compete against each other, its a highly competitive, highly paid sport played by more than half the world.

Yet you are either claiming everyone took it easy on Don Bradman ? Or that any overweight smoker can succeed as a cricketer ?

Comment

Greatest batsman - Don Bradman. Greatest cricketer- Garry Sobers.

Cricket is amazing. Best sport ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X