Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachelor of Arts.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's the same course that has BA and BSc as well. Economics at Manchester for example have BSc economics which is more quantitative and BA Economics is more qualitative.

Comment

Degrees are what you make of it. If a person is relying solely on their degree for a job after graduation than they are going to have a very hard time finding one.

Most employers will look at most bachelor degrees the same way regardless of what the degree is in and then what sets you apart from every other candidate is what matters on the resume.
      Last edited by Danny Gunz; 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
        Degrees are what you make of it. If a person is relying solely on their degree for a job after graduation than they are going to have a very hard time finding one.

Most employers will look at most bachelor degrees the same way regardless of what the degree is in and then what sets you apart from every other candidate is what matters on the resume.
        This is very true, I was going to say this in my first post.

Although I defended BA's, my degree is actually a B.S.

Comment

You can't generalise/simplify it this much.

My degree is a BA. It's Accounting and Finance from a good university, I'm now a Chartered Accountant (ACA) working in practice, which is the natural progression from that degree.

There are lots of BA's that you might struggle to do a lot with (philosophy, sociology etc) but you can't generalise to say BSc is better than BA, or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Exocet View Post
            You can't generalise/simplify it this much.

My degree is a BA. It's Accounting and Finance from a good university, I'm now a Chartered Accountant (ACA) working in practice, which is the natural progression from that degree.

There are lots of BA's that you might struggle to do a lot with (philosophy, sociology etc) but you can't generalise to say BSc is better than BA, or vice versa.

Yeah brah my school had all the business degree's BA's.

They actually had BA's in chemistry, physics ect as well as BS's. The only difference was a few courses so with a BA you could take more electives in other ****. I dont think that many people actually did them though.

But bottom line its up to the college what they want to call them. People in general saying BA mean sociology and other stupid fluff like that.

Comment

This is some advice for someone with a BA and currently doing an MSc. BA or BSc does not really matter, its more about what the actual subject you are doing that matters.

I did a BA Sociology & Criminology and I am currently doing an MSc Human Resource Management with CIPD Qualification. If I was 4 years younger and had to do it all over again, I would apply for Accounting and Finance. Why? The job honestly isn't hard, natural job progression, its comfortable, good salary and there are a lot of jobs. Engineering is great as well but the work is tough and so is becoming a Pharamacist or Doctor.

I chose my first degree pretty much because I had no one to really advise me, I didn't really know what I wanted to do in all honesty so I went for the degree which I had a small interest in and something which I would be able to attain a 2:1 in without too much effort. It is possible to get a job with it but gone are the days where you would get jobs purely if you had a degree. Stuffing your C.V/Resume with a load of other skills, work experience you could argue is even more important. If I had to employ someone, I would MUCH rather have someone who has a load of experience with no degree than someone with a degree but no experience or VERY minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by piojo del norte View Post
                That is what one professor told me, "Bachelor's of arts are useless." For the most part I agree, I wouldn't go for a bachelors of arts because most of the people who graduate with one end up being a teacher/counselor or something like that.

I would say go for something related to business or any science. Try finance or computer science maybe information systems or something in that department.

If you want to work with the government go for a degree in POLS (political science).

Don't do music, english, any foreign language or art... (unless that's what you want).

There is one department that is totally hit or miss, and that is communications.

**I don't mean to offend anyone or put anyone down for what they have accomplished, I do apologize if I have made anyone angry with my comments these do not state any fact and have no validity but only represent my own opinion and nothing more.
                That's nice of you, but unfortunately your opinion is wrong.

Comment

hmm OK then.

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
                  That's nice of you, but unfortunately your opinion is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                    This is some advice for someone with a BA and currently doing an MSc. BA or BSc does not really matter, its more about what the actual subject you are doing that matters.

I did a BA Sociology & Criminology and I am currently doing an MSc Human Resource Management with CIPD Qualification. If I was 4 years younger and had to do it all over again, I would apply for Accounting and Finance. Why? The job honestly isn't hard, natural job progression, its comfortable, good salary and there are a lot of jobs. Engineering is great as well but the work is tough and so is becoming a Pharamacist or Doctor.

I chose my first degree pretty much because I had no one to really advise me, I didn't really know what I wanted to do in all honesty so I went for the degree which I had a small interest in and something which I would be able to attain a 2:1 in without too much effort. It is possible to get a job with it but gone are the days where you would get jobs purely if you had a degree. Stuffing your C.V/Resume with a load of other skills, work experience you could argue is even more important. If I had to employ someone, I would MUCH rather have someone who has a load of experience with no degree than someone with a degree but no experience or VERY minimal.
                    While I agree that Accounting isn't all that difficult, Finance can get quite difficult if you are trying to work in research on Wall Street. My professor was telling me that to work at the firm that he was working at on Wall Street, you basically needed a Ph.D in Finance, which he says was almost equivalent to doing a Ph.D in Mathematics.

Comment

Working...
                    X