Message from NASA " Pray"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    hi barn...

there was one that hit russia a few months back right? apparently nobody saw that coming...
    Hello.

That's because it was only 15m in diameter, it's very hard to see. However obviously it still has a lot of destructive capability.

The ones that present larger problems are bigger, like Apophis that I mentioned is 325m wide.

Comment

The scary thing about asteroids is that they're constantly colliding with each other and other objects in space and are constantly changing courses. So there's no way of telling where they'll go. If one really is coming for us, we would only have a short window of knowing.

Comment

Death is a guarantee. Live life and try to be half with what you are doing in it.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

That was happy.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
            Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says Nasa.

Nasa has found and is tracking about 95% of the largest objects flying near Earth, those that are 1km or larger in diameter.
            “An asteroid of that size, a kilometer or bigger, could plausibly end civilization,” White House science adviser John Holdren told legislators at the same hearing.
            But only about 10% of an estimated 10,000 potential “city-killer” asteroids, those with a diameter of about 165 feet have been found, Holdren added.
            On average, objects of that size are estimated to hit Earth about once every 1,000 years.
            From the information we have, we don’t know of an asteroid that will threaten the population of the United States,” Bolden said. “But if it’s coming in three weeks, pray.”

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Hot...says-Nasa.html
            the sentance underlined basiclly discredits the whole claim.

and i say this at the risk of sounding ignorant but wouldn't a reasionable solution be to shoot a bunch of Nukes at it while its out of our atmosphere?

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
              the sentance underlined basiclly discredits the whole claim.

and i say this at the risk of sounding ignorant but wouldn't a reasionable solution be to shoot a bunch of Nukes at it while its out of our atmosphere?
              That would only be a very, very last resort if the asteroid was a civilization threat. Firing nukes at it will simply split it up into smaller bits and that would require more full city evacuations and all those little parts would be much, much harder to track.

I mean if you take an asteroid at 1km wide for example, you're not exactly going to blow it into dust very easily.

Comment

Working...
              X