No announcement yet.

Thinking of switching to Android

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of switching to Android

I know there are a lot of Droid fans here so I'm asking for some advice. My sister got a Galaxy S3 about a month ago and I've been playing around on it. At first I was really impressed with it. The screen is large and beautiful and I think it's pretty easy to get used to. The camera is sick too. It seems better than my 4S camera even though they both are supposed to be 8MP.

The more I played with it, I'm not so sure I want to switch though. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S and it is modded up the ass. I have so many tweaks and it really operates the way I like it. If the iPhone had a screen as big as the S3, I'd probably stay with them TBH.

So basically, I want some advice on how to get the S3 running how I like.

My first issue with the S3 is the orientation. When you switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa, it is slower than dog shit! It takes over a second to switch and that really bothers me. On the iPhone, when you switch orientation it is much faster. I suppose it's a minor annoyance that I'd get used to. I also have it set so that if I'm looking at my home pages, the icons rotate depending on if I'm in landscape or portrait. I really like that feature (only available with Jailbreak) but I haven't been able to find anything like it for Droid.

The other question I have is about quick access to the camera from the lock screen. You have to twist the phone in this awkward motion for it to come up. I was digging through the settings to see if that could be changed and couldn't find anything. Is there another way to access the camera from the lock screen other than twisting the phone like a spastic ***got? On my phone, I have 8 different sliders that I can set to open any app right from the lock screen.

Another thing I find annoying is the lack of auto-correct. Yeah, It can be annoying at times but I find that most of the time, it corrects things the way I want it to. It doesn't seem to be available on the S3. I read something about apple suing samsung over a patent and they removed it. Is there anything in the play store like a different keyboard that can rectify this? It brings up suggested words when you are typing but I find that annoying. I'd rather have it just correct rather than having to tap on the right word. I have used swipe texting and I hate it so don't even go there.

To get the task switcher on a droid, you press and hold the home button. To get Siri (or whatever the fuck it's called on a droid) you double tap the home button. This is the complete opposite of the iPhone, which is what I'm used to. Is there any way to change that?

I realize that I should probably be asking this stuff on an Android forum but I know there are a lot of droid guys on here so I'm starting here first. I know this might seem like nitpicking but Android is supposed to be all about customization so I'm interested to see if I can get most of this stuff sorted. From what I've read, you can do most things with an un-rooted droid that you can do with a jailborken iphone. Has anyone rooted their droid here?

I'm most likely going to get the S4 this summer but I want to sort some of this stuff out first.

In regards to auto correct, Android alows you to download and use any keyboard you like. I use SwiftKey on my Galaxy Note 2.

Its the boss of all auto correct.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5H...e_gdata_player

Comment

Sweet, thanks man. I'll mess around with different keyboards and see what I like.

Comment

In regards to the camera access if you go to

Settings

Scroll to "lock screen" then click on "lock screen options" you will be able to customize shortcuts, tickers and clocks.

I have a shortcut for Camera on my lockscreen myself.

Comment

I'll be getting the Galaxy S4 when it goes on sale.

Comment

I have an LG Optimus and switching from landscape to portrait is fast. Also you can customize the shortcuts on the lockscreen, i have camera, phone, and messaging for quick access.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Doomzday View Post
                In regards to the camera access if you go to

Settings

Scroll to "lock screen" then click on "lock screen options" you will be able to customize shortcuts, tickers and clocks.

I have a shortcut for Camera on my lockscreen myself.
                Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                I have an LG Optimus and switching from landscape to portrait is fast. Also you can customize the shortcuts on the lockscreen, i have camera, phone, and messaging for quick access.
                On my sister's phone, you have to touch the icon and flick your wrist like a ****. Is there away to avoid that faggotry? I couldn't figure out how to do it without the motion.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                  On my sister's phone, you have to touch the icon and flick your wrist like a ****. Is there away to avoid that faggotry? I couldn't figure out how to do it without the motion.
                  What do you you mean flick your wrist? On mine I simply swipe the icon with my finger.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    What do you you mean flick your wrist? On mine I simply swipe the icon with my finger.
                    I think ABos just thinks he has to flick his wrist when swiping

Comment

Working...
                    X