No announcement yet.

Top 10 most corrupt nations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    In Cambodia if you want someone arrested you give the police money and they arrest that person. If you don't want to go to jail you give the police money. Whoever pays the most wins.

When I was there, there was a scandal involving government officials who set up child sex slaves for tourists, it was viewed as part of tourism despite publicly declaring a war on child sex slaves and prostitution. Some of these kids were as young as 5 years old. Everything about Cambodian government and politics is corrupt.And I won't even get into the religious scams involving Buddhist monks who steal money from the poor.
    That is indeed crazy levels of corruption, hence why they are only like 3 places outside the top 10 (if you discount joint places)...

I dunno, Venezuelan corruption isnt my forte, but if the Venezuelan people believe them to be that corrupt then most probably means that something is up. It definitely is not a paradise that is for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      That is indeed crazy levels of corruption, hence why they are only like 3 places outside the top 10 (if you discount joint places)...

I dunno, Venezuelan corruption isnt my forte, but if the Venezuelan people believe them to be that corrupt then most probably means that something is up. It definitely is not a paradise that is for sure
      I'm not saying it is only there is a huge difference from Venezuela and Cambodia.

Also these survays aren't just by the people in the respected country, they are done varies ways.

Comment

I'm not saying it is only there is a huge difference from Venezuela and Cambodia.

Also these survays aren't just by the people in the respected country, they are done varies ways.
        This is their FAQ's page which answers some questions.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/in_detail#myAnchor1

My friend who studies international development (bs course i know) says it is a reliable source.

Remember its only measuring perception not actual corruption. It is still a useful list

Comment

This is their FAQ's page which answers some questions.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/in_detail#myAnchor1

My friend who studies international development (bs course i know) says it is a reliable source.

Remember its only measuring perception not actual corruption. It is still a useful list
          Yes I've read. They get information from private organizations many of which have strong ties to countries and bias against others. If they get information from the World Bank for example how accurate and unbiased is this information? Not very reliable considering they themselves are corrupt and have their own agenda's.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            What?!?! Venezuela with the great Hugo Chavez there? He's made Venezuela a paradise, I mean the violence there is almost non existent.

People are flocking to Venezuela because of how wonderful of a place it is.....

The perception corruption index did surprise me with how high Venezuela is. Russia is pretty bad too.

The top few countries (least corrupt) are always the same few: Canada, Aus, Norway, NZL etc.

Comment

Yes I've read. They get information from private organizations many of which have strong ties to countries and bias against others. If they get information from the World Bank for example how accurate and unbiased is this information? Not very reliable considering they themselves are corrupt and have their own agenda's.
              possibly, all i will say is that none of the top or bottom 10 were particularly surprising to me. Remember also this is done year on year, maybe Venezuela had some scandals this year? who knows.

Venezuela being in the bottom 10 is not surprising, maybe other countries appear more corrupt to us but hey...

Comment

possibly, all i will say is that none of the top or bottom 10 were particularly surprising to me. Remember also this is done year on year, maybe Venezuela had some scandals this year? who knows.

Venezuela being in the bottom 10 is not surprising, maybe other countries appear more corrupt to us but hey...
                Well its like debating a pound 4 pound list - no one is really right.

My only point is I question their methods and I can think of several places based on my knowledge that should be in the top ten. But even as they admit its impossible to be accurate since corruption is covered in the first place.

Comment

I nearly went to Myanmar on a contract for a customer. I was told by some of the guys its a crazy place for corruption, but that you could and would live a great life being paid offshore & tax free and that US Dollars made the world go round and with money in your hands you could pretty much do whatever you wanted too

Made me worried at the same time

Comment

In Cambodia if you want someone arrested you give the police money and they arrest that person. If you don't want to go to jail you give the police money. Whoever pays the most wins.

When I was there, there was a scandal involving government officials who set up child sex slaves for tourists, it was viewed as part of tourism despite publicly declaring a war on child sex slaves and prostitution. Some of these kids were as young as 5 years old. Everything about Cambodian government and politics is corrupt. Read about how government officials keep their jobs by literally buying them, often a check for $5,000 is good enough for a year.

And I won't even get into the religious scams involving Buddhist monks who steal money from the poor.
                    It's basically the same in Ukraine. If a cop pulls you over, slip him some money, not even alot and he'll let you off. Its corrupt as hell over there. During the last election, they made a fake ballet box to lesson the votes of another candidate.

Comment

Well its like debating a pound 4 pound list - no one is really right.

My only point is I question their methods and I can think of several places based on my knowledge that should be in the top ten. But even as they admit its impossible to be accurate since corruption is covered in the first place.
                      good analogy!

Comment

Working...
                      X