No announcement yet.

Do you support assisted suicide?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

The man seems mobile enough to no include laws, regulations into this. Is he terminally ill? B]Then simply stopping his medication or getting off the tubes is enough, and assistance by default.

Otherwise, he can just get out of there and kill himself with a gun or jump off or hanging[/B].
    While effective, all of those methods include either prolonged or needless suffering.

"Well, they can just commit suicide anyway so we don't need to change the law for them" is a common argument brought up by those who are against assisted suicide.

Which proves that not only are they dispassionate about the individuals whom would benefit from the changing of said laws, but it also illustrates that they don't even understand why people campaign for the law to be changed in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
      If someone wants to kill themself what am I gonna do to stop it.

If you **** up killing yourself you gotta be stupid as hell.
      This perhaps went over peoples heads but you made a good point here without even trying.

Killing yourself is not that difficult if you want to die. Anything short of terminal illness, it's got no business in the medical world for a number reasons (that video posted being one good example of many). Now, you either off yourself as many already do, or if unable (paralyzed, paraplegic) then a willing friend or relative can do it.

BUT (and there is really no complex law or state assisted medical procedure required for this, just voluntary), if you are a caring suicidal person and you don't want your loved ones (who want to help you) implicated in your murder, you take all the necessary precautions to give them exemption/immunity from persecution by writing a latter, maybe even recording a video of yourself saying that you wish to die and nobody had killed you against your will. Either you take these steps, or the person assisting your suicide asks for these steps first, to protect themselves. But all of this is voluntary and a watchful eye of Government agents is not required. People make this more complicated than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        While effective, all of those methods include either prolonged or needless suffering.

"Well, they can just commit suicide anyway so we don't need to change the law for them" is a common argument brought up by those who are against assisted suicide.

Which proves that not only are they dispassionate about the individuals whom would benefit from the changing of said laws, but it also illustrates that they don't even understand why people campaign for the law to be changed in the first place.

Are you implying that I'm against it? No, I just don't like the medical aura that is around this. If you are sick terminally, then it's a different story.

I feel the same way with the death penalty. Instead of pretending like it's some medical procedure by injecting someone, lets just treat it for what it is. Perhaps if they were still chopping peoples heads off or hanging in public, some would have second thoughts about their views on the death penalty. Including the strongest death penalty supporters.

Even then, I myself would still favor the death penalty George Carlin's idea comes to mind

Comment

Are you implying that I'm against it? No, I just don't like the medical aura that is around this. If you are sick terminally, then it's a different story.

I feel the same way with the death penalty. Instead of pretending like it's some medical procedure by injecting someone, lets just treat it for what it is. Perhaps if they were still chopping peoples heads off or hanging in public, some would have second thoughts about their views on the death penalty. Including the strongest death penalty supporters.

Even then, I myself would still favor the death penalty George Carlin's idea comes to mind
          No, I'm not implying that you're against it.

However your comments (both the one I quoted and the subsequent response about using agun or an overdose) indicate a bit of ambiguity.

Comment

This perhaps went over peoples heads but you made a good point here without even trying.

Killing yourself is not that difficult if you want to die. Anything short of terminal illness, it's got no business in the medical world for a number reasons (that video posted being one good example of many). Now, you either off yourself as many already do, or if unable (paralyzed, paraplegic) then a willing friend or relative can do it.

BUT (and there is really no complex law or state assisted medical procedure required for this, just voluntary), if you are a caring suicidal person and you don't want your loved ones (who want to help you) implicated in your murder, you take all the necessary precautions to give them exemption/immunity from persecution by writing a latter, maybe even recording a video of yourself saying that you wish to die and nobody had killed you against your will. Either you take these steps, or the person assisting your suicide asks for these steps first, to protect themselves. But all of this is voluntary and a watchful eye of Government agents is not required. People make this more complicated than it is.
            That doesn't matter at all in regards to the law. The law says assisted suicide is illegal and those who help an individual carry out the act shall be held accountible for their actions and punished for having done so.

Infact, all of Jack Kevorkian's patients had their consultations with Jack recorded on VHS and vocally expressed their desire to have Jack help them end their suffering via assisted suicide directly into the camera.

It didn't matter to the law. Their stance was that a law was still broken and that Kevorkian should go to jail for 2nd degree murder.

Giving consent does absolutely nothing in regards to the legality of committing the act.

Comment

No real ambiguity. Just disagreement on how to get there as you can't pass enough amendments to a well intentioned law to cover every unforeseen circumstance and the amount of bureaucracy it would involve, on a issue that should be simple.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                That doesn't matter at all in regards to the law. The law says assisted suicide is illegal and those who help an individual carry out the act shall be held accountible for their actions and punished for having done so.

Infact, all of Jack Kevorkian's patients had their consultations with Jack recorded on VHS and vocally expressed their desire to have Jack help them end their suffering via assisted suicide directly into the camera.

It didn't matter to the law. Their stance was that a law was still broken and that Kevorkian should go to jail for 2nd degree murder.

Giving consent does absolutely nothing in regards to the legality of committing the act.
                I know, hence why I voted yes. Perhaps that's all that's required. Proof of the person in question wanting to die, and immunity for those assisting in their death.

Then, get the medical nonsense like that video of the wife discussing it with the doctor out of the way. Unless the guy is a vegetable or has a terminal illness, it's not a matter for the Medical field.

Comment

I know, hence why I voted yes. Perhaps that's all that's required. Proof of the person in question wanting to die, and immunity for those assisting in their death.

Then, get the medical nonsense like that video of the wife discussing it with the doctor out of the way. Unless the guy is a vegetable or has a terminal illness, it's not a matter for the Medical field.
                  So then what is your opinion on someone who isn't terminally ill but wants a doctor assisted suicide?

For the sake of argument, let's say an elderly man wants an assisted suicide. Let's say that he's mentally competent but he suffers from a disease that puts him in a state of chronic pain 24/7 which negatively effects his quality of life.

By law, should he be allowed to decide when he's had enough suffering?

Comment

Voted yes... After taking care of old folks and a cancer patient yes...was also further convinced after watching that movie that had pacino playing dr. kevorkian

Comment

Honestly, with all the "God given rights" granted to us by others on pieces of paper, I think the taking of one's own life is just about as basic as it gets.

I can only hope if that my situation gets so dire that I can't hold out any light at the end of the tunnel for a better tomorrow, is that I would have the strength, or physical ability to end my life by my own hand. Really, I'd hate to have somebody else to have that burden on them.

If I was in tremendous, unbearable pain, I'd hope that whomever controls the strings would understand that I'm just a human, and I could only take so much suffering, and show me mercy in their judgement.

So in a long winded way, yes, I do support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X