No announcement yet.

God does not exist: true or false?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
    Ok, you're getting off topic, the thread title is about God, not natural disasters. And yes, humans DO have the ability to create famines and diseases-viruses, but most are just a part of nature.
    You said bad things happen because of humanity's free will and not because of God, I was just trying to explain how I did not agree because these things are not due to humans. It was a directly related to something you'd said previously.

Sounds like you are taking this a bit personally. My intention when i quoted you was not to discredit you or say you are wrong. I am secure in what i believe, and i am discussing the topic of the thread which is about whether or not God exists
    I'm not intending it to come across that way because I'm not. I respect that you're trying to keep everyone happy when you say "everyone can believe what they want" but this thread was obviously going to lead to debate. That's why I suggested if people want to believe in a religion then that's fine but they shouldn't come into the thread and talk about it if they don't want it scrutinised, because after all this thread is about questioning the belief in God or the contrary.

I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way it wasn't intentional.

Comment

Sorry Barn but the 'If God exists why does...' is even stupider than believing in the geezer.

God is something used when we have no understanding, we fear the unknown so we need to have any explanation. God is the omni-benevolent, omnipotent, omni-fucking-everything.

I can fully understand why/how religion came about, fear of the unknown and lack of knowledge. Just imagine what they thought about volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis etc. The Sun was once worshipped as a God until we acquired the relevant knowledge.

Not to mention it's a great story to use to make all humans to abide by a set of rules. Thousands of years ago we were primitive creatures and religion helped create a moral fabric for society but as we've progressed, it's taken the back seat to rational discussion and is no longer relevant.

The only being that I could see viewed as a 'God' is, simply put, aliens. If they visited this planet they'd been seen as Gods, American soldiers landing on a remote Japanese island were seen as Gods by the native population and that was less than 70 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Ummm I'm not sure but I think so. We've never had the god discussion in my family, but he does wear a cross.

We live as secular lives as it gets, there isn't any god in our family. Individually may be different I'm not sure
        oh ok I was just wondering since you don't believe and i'm positive he's a believer since we are all mostly brought up believing...

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          Sorry Barn but the 'If God exists why does...' is even stupider than believing in the geezer.

I'd strongly disagree when it's being used in a religious context as people believe the Judeo-Christian God is all powerful and can mess around with the world when he plays. If it states in the Bible that God talked to Moses and God stopped the sun in the sky then it's only reasonable to infer he has the power to stop suffering, which, if he is a "loving God", he should do. That's what I was referring to for the most part.

The only being that I could see viewed as a 'God' is, simply put, aliens. If they visited this planet they'd been seen as Gods, American soldiers landing on a remote Japanese island were seen as Gods by the native population and that was less than 70 years ago.
          I would only ever view God as whatever the energy source was or whatever the hell kick started our universe.
          Last edited by Barn; 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I believe in God. I also believe there is a tremendous amount of wisdom in the New Testament of the Bible for those who have read it. I believe the unrelenting unconditional love taught by Jesus Christ is the most profound, intelligent, and relevant teaching ever spoken in the history of this world. It all comes down to faith though. I don't believe in Bible beating or threatening others with your beliefs. I do believe, however, in standing by them even in the face of ridicule. If everyone in the world lived the way Jesus instructed, or encouraged may be a better word, this world would be a completely different place. We can't though, because we are men, and we have evil in our hearts. The Bible teaches that is why Jesus came to this world, so that the lost can have salvation. This requires faith though, and it is an individual's choice. I have chosen to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              I'd strongly disagree when it's being used in a religious context as people believe the Judeo-Christian God is all powerful and can mess around with the world when he plays. If it states in the Bible that God talked to Moses and God stopped the sun in the sky then it's only reasonable to infer he has the power to stop suffering, which is he is a "loving God", he should be able to do. That's what I was referring to for the most part.
              Like I said, they're stories open for interpretation that builds an image of God. It's a one off occasion of when God decided to intervene, kinda like Sodom & Gomorrah.

But I doubt even religious people believe God should stop all suffering. What is suffering? Sufferings the wrong word, you should refer to it as life. Human arrogance plays a big factor in thinking we have a creator.

Comment

because we were all brought up that god is good, just pray and god will take care of you. but the when we grow up, and we realize that it really dont work like that and we start to doubt. thats one of the first reasons some people becomes non believer, agnostic, etc.
                but that really dont mean theres no god,creator out there...

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by jazluvr View Post
                  The thread title... God does not exist: true or false?

Me-My answer to this is..anybody that's alive cannot truly answer this question as fact.

SP-Neither can anyone who is dead. Because they're dead. Me-I agree.

Quote:
                  Some people that have died during surgery and brought back have had out of body experiences, and some claim that there is a God.

SP-Someone who has died and been brought back wasn't dead. Dead is final, that's sort of one of the defining factors of it. Somebody may have the appearance of clinical death before being brought back, but they weren't dead.

me-How do you know they weren't dead? How do you know what a "final" death is and isn't? Death is when all body functions cease to operate. but as you say, traces of energy that are still in the body can be re-invigorated enough to bring them back before it's over for good.

Who's to say what they experienced during this time wasn't real for them? Do you have proof it wasn't? I don't have proof it was or not. It's what i choose to believe, or not.

SP-Out of body experiences have been recreated by use of oxygen starvation under laboratory conditions.

Me-So what? What does that have to do with what peoples vitals going dead and being jump-started back to life on the operating table have to do with lab-controlled experiences. And what did those people experience?

Quote:
                  me-That will be answered in Prometheus 2....

SP-The question I want answered in Prometheus 2 is: Who the hell is going to watch Prometheus 2 given how wretched the first one was?

Me-Cm'on...that was obviously a joke...lol.

Quote:
                  Me-Originally Posted by jazluvr View Post
                  The idea of this is humans have free will, and we are responsible for our actions, it is believed that God does not directly interfere with humans actions.

SP-That's not what it says in the Bible.

Me-I choose to believe that bible was man-made, so it's possible the bible was wrong. can you prove the bible as fact?? No.

Again, it comes down to choice.

See? this is why i don't talk politics or religion on the internet. It always turns into a mess. This is why i usually ignore these kinds of threads. It was meant to stimulate conversation.

I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong. All I'm saying is...we don't know if God exists. There is no proof he/she/it does or doesn't. That's why I said it comes down to choice. We are free to believe what we want.
                  What if we all believed the same thing? What kind of world would we live in then?
                  geeez.

And we should respect the beliefs-opinions of others, whether or not we agree with them.

Last i checked, the OP was asking for opinions, not facts.
                  Last edited by jazluvr; 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

The poll is shifting the burden of proof.

The poll should read. "God does exist, do you agree or disagree"

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
                      The poll is shifting the burden of proof.

The poll should read. "God does exist, do you agree or disagree"
                      The burden of proof falls upon those who make the claim though.

Comment

Working...
                      X