Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who says baseball players aren't athletes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    Not a athlete....

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
      Not a athlete....

More of a true athlete than just about anyone competing professionally in any sport.

"He stole all those bases and scored all those runs and played all those years not because of his body, but because of his brain. Rickey could tell from the faintest, most undetectable twitch of a pitcher's muscles whether he was going home or throwing over to first. He understood that conditioning isn't about strength, but about flexibility. And more than anyone else in the history of the game, he understood that baseball is entirely a game of discipline — the discipline to work endless 1–1 counts your way, the discipline to understand that your job is to get on base, and the discipline to understand that the season is more important than the game, and a career more important than the season. Maybe he'd get a bit more credit for all this if he were some boring drip like Cal Ripken Jr., blathering on endlessly about humility and apple pie and tradition and whatever else, but we're all better off with things the way they are... Everyone had their fun when he broke Lou Brock's stolen base record and proclaimed, 'I am the greatest', but he was, of course, just saying what was plainly true."

http://www.nysun.com/sports/rickey-h...he-mets/58365/

Comment

Do that again. This time, do it without a massive glove on.

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
          Do that again. This time, do it without a massive glove on.

i don't think those guys hit 500 foot home runs though. i am admittedly ignorant on the intricacy of cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy Ho View Post
            i don't think those guys hit 500 foot home runs though. i am admittedly ignorant on the intricacy of cricket.
            I doubt they can play third base with or without a glove. Flyballs or soft liners are a different story from a ball hit by Pujols or Konerko

Comment

Working...
            X