Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
    your body is but your soul lives on..
    Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Define "soul" and tell me proof that one exists.
    Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Proof of this please
    Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    and the proof is?
    Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Proof of this please
    Define "soul" and tell me proof that one exists.
    Why ask for proof when you know its just a belief?

Comment

Sorry guys I meant if u were still a consciousness when this happened soul, ghost what ever u want to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
        Why ask for proof when you know its just a belief?
        Because it baffles me that anyone in 2013 in the modernized western world lives his/her life by "beliefs".

If I was a grown up walking around on Christmas Eve saying I couldn't wait for Santa Clause to bring me my presents, everyone would think I was crazy, or ******ed.

Yet millions around the world talk about talking snakes, the sun stopping in the middle of the sky, the Red Sea parting and the dead being raised and it's just normal and perfectly acceptable.

- "Hey I have a unicorn in my backyard"
        - "your an idiot"

- "You will go to heaven and have sex with 72 black eyed virgins"
        - "awesome!"

Comment

Even if it was real it would be a disappointment. It would have been built up so much in your mind, like a film you are really looking forward to seeing and when you actually see it, you're like meh. Or when you've been trying to bang a hot chick for ages and when you get it you realise you had put the pu$$y up on a pedestal, built that pu$$y up sky high and she won't even suck your d1ck

Comment

Because it baffles me that anyone in 2013 in the modernized western world lives his/her life by "beliefs".

If I was a grown up walking around on Christmas Eve saying I couldn't wait for Santa Clause to bring me my presents, everyone would think I was crazy, or ******ed.

Yet millions around the world talk about talking snakes, the sun stopping in the middle of the sky, the Red Sea parting and the dead being raised and it's just normal and perfectly acceptable.

- "Hey I have a unicorn in my backyard"
            - "your an idiot"

- "You will go to heaven and have sex with 72 black eyed virgins"
            - "awesome!"
            Right. But as far as asking someone for proof of a soul, i would have thought we all know their beliefs dont rely on proof. Its faith.
            They would explain it as some spiritual knowledge that doesnt require proof.

Surely its obvious how religious faith is quite different from an adult believing in unicorns and santa. How complex religion is, how deeply indoctrinated people are, why it still persists, why people choose to believe in something like a soul or heaven etc etc.

I just think its a little easy to score points asking for proof when you know there is none.

Comment

Right. But as far as asking someone for proof of a soul, i would have thought we all know their beliefs dont rely on proof. Its faith.
              They would explain it as some spiritual knowledge that doesnt require proof.

Surely its obvious how religious faith is quite different from an adult believing in unicorns and santa. How complex religion is, how deeply indoctrinated people are, why it still persists, why people choose to believe in something like a soul or heaven etc etc.

I just think its a little easy to score points asking for proof when you know there is none.
              You made my point and then excused their entire set of belief. Faith is something that requires you to believe in something there is no proof of. That is no different than believing in unicorns.

It's just that culturally, we believe in certain deities because it's been programmed in our brains.

Yet if we were to travel for example to the Polynesian Islands and talk to natives who really believed that sharks are re-encarnated relatives, you would be respectful and maybe even interested in the different "beliefs" but you would not for one second take it as real.

So I will ask you this question since you are an apologist. If there is no proof of any of these things, what do you base your belief on? Does it only take an ancient text and miraculous claims? Because there's plenty of those in existence.

Comment

You made my point and then excused their entire set of belief. Faith is something that requires you to believe in something there is no proof of. That is no different than believing in unicorns.

It's just that culturally, we believe in certain deities because it's been programmed in our brains.

Yet if we were to travel for example to the Polynesian Islands and talk to natives who really believed that sharks are re-encarnated relatives, you would be respectful and maybe even interested in the different "beliefs" but you would not for one second take it as real.

So I will ask you this question since you are an apologist. If there is no proof of any of these things, what do you base your belief on? Does it only take an ancient text and miraculous claims? Because there's plenty of those in existence.
                Im an atheist. (but dont tell anyone as i dont want to be labelled as an arrogant condescending twat that atheists are becoming famous for these days!)
                I guess im a religious sympathiser. I feel like i understand to a point why they choose to believe. Most have been programmed, but many chose to believe later on in life. The opposite to a belief in Santa. I think religion offers too many people too much in their lives to simply attack it. I will criticise aspects of religion, but mostly try and offer my take on life, morality etc without the need to invoke a god and hope they relate.

Yes, its weird how people can think their beliefs are normal and true, yet everyone else is wrong and crazy, but i still kinda understand how thats just a symptom of their faith. And that they do it because their faith may really help them get through life. So in their minds, its best not to objectify faith. That would be counter-productive.

Its interesting how the religious and non-religious see things in very similar ways in nearly all aspects of life. Yet bicker over the small stuff, then succeed in making things personal and hating each other. Crazy imo.

Comment

Im an atheist. (but dont tell anyone as i dont want to be labelled as an arrogant condescending twat that atheists are becoming famous for these days!)
                  I guess im a religious sympathiser. I feel like i understand to a point why they choose to believe. Most have been programmed, but many chose to believe later on in life. The opposite to a belief in Santa. I think religion offers too many people too much in their lives to simply attack it. I will criticise aspects of religion, but mostly try and offer my take on life, morality etc without the need to invoke a god and hope they relate.

Yes, its weird how people can think their beliefs are normal and true, yet everyone else is wrong and crazy, but i still kinda understand how thats just a symptom of their faith. And that they do it because their faith may really help them get through life. So in their minds, its best not to objectify faith. That would be counter-productive.

Its interesting how the religious and non-religious see things in very similar ways in nearly all aspects of life. Yet bicker over the small stuff, then succeed in making things personal and hating each other. Crazy imo.
                  I have read your posts and I know your a smart guy. I too am an Atheist, even though I would never admit it here and was apologetic as well. I just can't be anymore because of how I see more and more people saying ridiculous things, especially concerning their politics, because of their religion.

That is the thing that truly bothers me, when people in power use their beliefs in fairy tales to force them on the rest of us. If religion was just something like a taste in music or clothing, then I wouldn't care what you believe. Since it cannot be compromised and is a controlling part of their life, something they actually LIVE for, it can be scary.

If people could separate their religious beliefs with everyday decisions involving others, I wouldn't care. Since they can't I see more and more how religion is poison and is keeping us back in almost every way. Now I will agree, there are some good things that come from religion, but here's the kicker...

None of those things NEED religion in order to be beneficial. Being a good person, donating to charity and living a righteous life doesn't come from a god, or belief in one.

Comment

Noose, the arrogant, condescending 'aura' is 'cause them religious mofos look at us like we're the crazy ones.

Comment

I have read your posts and I know your a smart guy. I too am an Atheist, even though I would never admit it here and was apologetic as well. I just can't be anymore because of how I see more and more people saying ridiculous things, especially concerning their politics, because of their religion.

That is the thing that truly bothers me, when people in power use their beliefs in fairy tales to force them on the rest of us. If religion was just something like a taste in music or clothing, then I wouldn't care what you believe. Since it cannot be compromised and is a controlling part of their life, something they actually LIVE for, it can be scary.

If people could separate their religious beliefs with everyday decisions involving others, I wouldn't care. Since they can't I see more and more how religion is poison and is keeping us back in almost every way. Now I will agree, there are some good things that come from religion, but here's the kicker...

None of those things NEED religion in order to be beneficial. Being a good person, donating to charity and living a righteous life doesn't come from a god, or belief in one.
                      I think most religious people are able to separate their beliefs from everyday decisions. They only seem to call upon their faith when things get tough or with certain issues.
                      But most of the faithful ive known never even mention their faith. It doesnt seem to dictate their behaviour at all. Some are hypocrites who preach one thing but do another. Yet ive known very very few preachy types. Maybe im lucky, because i realise in some parts of the world, religion is a hideous dictatorship than enforces some brutal practices. I just think religion bashing pushes the 'moderate' faithful over to the fundamental side of the battle.

And concerning your last point; I agree, with the exception of death. Thats a pretty big reason why many hold on tight to their faith. A belief in heaven must help massively when a parent loses a child for example. I dont see a replacement for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X