No announcement yet.

whats the greatest war film ever made?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TartanSoldier View Post
    Watched that movie for the first time when I was 7-8, so do most Scottish children.

Great parenting.

As well as the sad and exciting parts there's a few funnies. Particularly from the Irish guy.
    "The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure, you're f**cked.........hahahahahahah."

"You're island, don't you mean Ireland?" "Yeah, it's mine."
    Being of Irish descent and a sarcastic bastard myself, that dude was my favorite character.

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. Yes, Father? The Almighty says 'Don't change the subject, just answer the ****ing question!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      Being of Irish descent and a sarcastic bastard myself, that dude was my favorite character.

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. Yes, Father? The Almighty says 'Don't change the subject, just answer the ****ing question!"

I like the part when he kills his mate who's about to kill Wallace and he says.

"He wasn't right... in the head."

Comment

• Originally posted by TartanSoldier View Post
        Yeah I know, I was mocking its lack of accuracy.

I am Scottish, after all.
        The movie was historically inaccurate but it was tsill a great great movie and did the great service of worldwide awareness of the great William Wallace and fight for Scottish independence. As a Scot you can surely appreciate that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
          The movie was historically inaccurate but it was tsill a great great movie and did the great service of worldwide awareness of the great William Wallace and fight for Scottish independence. As a Scot you can surely appreciate that?
          Yes I do but I can still mock its lack of accuracy.

Comment

• Saving Private Ryan is the GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGH JASS View Post
              whats your guys opinion?which has the best scenes for combat and great effects?also which has the best story line and which actor portrays their character best?
              Stalingrad
              Cross of Iron
              Platoon
              Apocalypse Now
              The Killing Fields
              Black Hawk Down
              Full Metal Jacket
              The Deer Hunter
              and of course the Rambo series

EDIT: I just read through the whole thread and I saw nobody mentioned "Stalingrad" by Joseph Vilsmaier. That is a german war movie about one of the most horrible battles that ever took place (in Stalingrad). I don't know if there ever was an english version of it, but I can ensure you guys it is one of the best movies I ever saw in my life.
              I just found the english version of Stalingrad: http://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Dom...rds=stalingrad

Btw I agree Apocalypse Now is a little bit overrated cause it is very very long and you really have to see the "art" in it to like it.
              Last edited by Salardo; 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Platoon or Saving Private Ryan.

I really liked Black Hawk Down. Gets kind of overlooked.

Comment

• Saving Private Ryan is the GOAT of war films in my opinion for sheer gritty and violent impact in the way the action was depicted. It was possibly the only war film that as a kid didn't make me think war looks fun! Depsite as has been mentioned,the obvious disregard for the fighting accumen of the Waffen SS in the final battle and a few other historical inaccuracies I lend to poetic license.

Honourable mentions to Das boot, Platoon, Waterloo, Gettysburg and zulu.

I also liked Glory and funnily enough really liked Jarhead despite most people hating it.
                  Last edited by Golden; 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• I know it's not a movie, but Band of Brothers was great when i was in Germany.

Enemy at the gates is another movie I like watching.

Comment

• I'm going to keep it real, not Hollywood. First Kill (documentary) or Grave of the Fireflies.

Comment

Working...
                      X