Collapse
No announcement yet.

No More Kickoffs in the NFL?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] No More Kickoffs in the NFL?

Report: No kickoffs discussed

Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if they failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fs-report-says

I'm all for this.

4th & 15 conversion try > Onside kick attempt

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post

I'm all for this.

hell no that is just ****ing stupid.

kick off returns for a TD are one of the most if not the most exciting plays in all of football.

its already bad enough that they changed the kickoff starting point where they basically have eliminated kickoffs, to totally eliminate it is an affront to fans and a bastardazation of the game.

the nfl needs to calm the **** down with all these rule changes. every year they have a rule change.

eliminating kick offs is bad for the nfl, bad for the fans, bad for television.

Comment

I don't like the idea. I too like seeing long returns and touchdowns. Cool part of the game.

Comment

I'm all for this.

that's just f0cking stupid

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
          I don't like the idea. I too like seeing long returns and touchdowns. Cool part of the game.

not just that, some of the best collisions come during kickoffs

its bad enough the game is full of touchbacks now...i actually get excited when the kicker doesnt have enough leg and the receiver gets a chance to run it back

Comment

I'm all for this.

this is dumb...
            what's next counting to 10 Mississippi before rushing the quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
              what's next counting to 10 Mississippi before rushing the quarterback.
              Probably switching to this:

Comment

some players rely on returns, without them they would be virtually worthless...

plus long returns are definitely the best thing, ridiculous, shouldnt happen

Comment

Originally posted by bridger1 View Post
                  some players rely on returns, without them they would be virtually worthless...

plus long returns are definitely the best thing, ridiculous, shouldnt happen
                  i think the nfl wants to eventually eliminate special teams.

Why?

so they dont have to pay special team players. rosters are reduced and in turn payroll.

Comment

you guys need to read the whole article.

there will actually be MORE returns with this rule. why would teams go for it on 4th & 15? they would obviously punt it unless they're down with 3mins to go and they need the ball back.... like in an onside situation.

nowadays there is only 1 return on every 30 kicks. most of the time the ball goes past the endzone or the player takes a knee. punting it at the 30 yard line will actually create more returns.

plus I would rather see Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers try to convert a 4th & 15 over an onside kick which is a skillless play. and 90% of the time when the returning team is expecting the onside kick it doesn't work.

I love this 4th & 15 idea. it will just take a bit of getting use to.

Comment

Working...
                    X