Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any of you taught yourself how to play an instrument?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool ****...didn't realize there was so many lounge musicians.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      absolutely

learning established musical theory boxes you in?
      i mean really? that can't be the mindset of somebody who has actually studied the stuff..

that's like saying that a man of science need not go to college
      or a lawyer need not study the law...
      When it comes to the electric guitar, absolutely.

None of the legendary rock guitarists studied theory beyond the very basic stuff. Like I said, you can learn to play or you can learn to paint by numbers. Rock n roll is not about theory, which is why there are not any famous rock guitarists with any sort of music degree.

Comment

Aight, guys...so what's a good starting point for an acoustic guitar? Something that's not expensive and would be good for beginners?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post

None of the legendary rock guitarists studied theory beyond the very basic stuff. Like I said, you can learn to play or you can learn to paint by numbers. Rock n roll is not about theory, which is why there are not any famous rock guitarists with any sort of music degree.
          It helps to know some theory when you start out as it helps you avoid those ugly notes. Once your ear gets better you don't really need scales and modes too much.

Although it depends what your playing over. I play mostly metal so I wing it unless its a slow melodic riff then ill use a scale usually natural minor, Dorian or aeolian.

Comment

Banjo. Has the same strings as the viola which ive played for a long time so its not self taught from nothing but still.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post

absolutely, not. musical theory does not "box you in," any more than training in a boxing gym will "box you in" when you fight. whether or not you recognize it, theoretical principals of music are present in virtually all of the songs of the great songwriters and guitar players.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
                I got into Zappa when I was 16 and I have been a die hard fan since. Lots of his drummers have had a big influence on me since then.
                You were 16 like 9 years ago. I was into zappa like 30 years ago or even more hahahaha.

Hey thanks for the gift. Long Live Zappa music!!!!

BTW the first song I learned to play by myself in the guitar is LET IT BE by the beatles when I was 10. When I reached teen it was all rock music to me.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  absolutely, not. musical theory does not "box you in," any more than training in a boxing gym will "box you in" when you fight. whether or not you recognize it, theoretical principals of music are present in virtually all of the songs of the great songwriters and guitar players.
                  Whelp, I guess one can keep believing that and stay a bedroom guitarist I suppose..

Comment

I don't know about theories. I ain't playing for no theories, I play to sing a song. Learn the first one, then the second one and so on until one day you can create a song yourself.

Comment

i taught myself how to play the piano....i just memorized really complex songs at first to impress people, but i took the time to learn and write music after that....

Comment

Working...
                      X