Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any of you taught yourself how to play an instrument?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its in mint shape also havent taken it out of its case in years the only time it gets played is when my moms around she is good self taught can play virtually anything.

Comment

Taught myself how to play the harmonica after listening to Neil Young's "heart of gold."

I can play a lot of songs on it, but I can't jam out freestyle or anything. . .

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
        Taught myself how to play the harmonica after listening to Neil Young's "heart of gold."

I can play a lot of songs on it, but I can't jam out freestyle or anything. . .
        stevie wonder with eyesight and without the talent.

Comment

The guitar is easy to learn. I've been playing most my life and recently picked up the bass.

Don't learn chords first! Learn keys (C major, A minor, easiest ones to learn) first and modes (aeolian, ionian...look it up.)

Modes start at each different note and are a certain pattern from the top string to the bottom string of all the notes in each key. It is always the same for each key, but the root note (what key you are playing in) just moves around the fretboard based on what key you are playing in.

Once you know a key and what notes are in each, you can build your chords. It's all about patterns and repitition.

There's really only so much to be learned on the guitar. The rest comes with experience and creativity. I was lucky enough to take lessons from a great instructor.

It takes muscle memory, coordination, patience, and a lot of dedication. But it is the best stress reliever and hobby there is out there.

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY
            It takes muscle memory, coordination, patience, and a lot of dedication. But it is the best stress reliever and hobby there is out there.
            I respectfully andcompletely disagree with learning theory for guitarist that play in a rock n roll style. I've auctioned countless guitarists over the years and i could always pick out guys that were into theory, learning scales and modes really inhibits a lot of players ability to think outside of the box imo.

That rant aside, you are completely right. Once youre a bit proficient in your playing, you will have an incredible channel for stress relief and a lifelong cure for boredom.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by paulf
              Quote:

Originally Posted by RlCKY

I respectfully andcompletely disagree with learning theory for guitarist that play in a rock n roll style. I've auditioned countless guitarists over the years and i could always pick out guys that were into theory, learning scales and modes really inhibits a lot of players ability to think outside of the box imo.

That rant aside, you are completely right. Once youre a bit proficient in your playing, you will have an incredible channel for stress relief and a lifelong cure for boredom.

Comment

i should add that i've played the guitar for about 10-15 years now. i studied theory in high school and took lessons for the first five or six years that i played. my instructor moved away to take a full time job teaching music at a college. he was a painter who taught guitar on the side, and it made me very proud to see him move on. he was a hell of a guitarist. i still have the card of his teacher, that he gave me during our last lesson together. he thought i'd be ready to start to learn under this guy, but i didn't have the confidence (or the spending money at the time.)

Comment

I learned to keep a beat on a drumset, but couldn't tell you much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    I respectfully andcompletely disagree with learning theory for guitarist that play in a rock n roll style. I've auctioned countless guitarists over the years and i could always pick out guys that were into theory, learning scales and modes really inhibits a lot of players ability to think outside of the box imo.

I understand what you're saying. I feel that the "box" you refer to is technique, and without it, you lack the ability to think outside of it.

In my personal experience the theory, learning to play in keys, circle of fifths, etc., is what made me into the guitar player I am and that knowledge of theory gives you that ability to think outside of the box as you refer to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
                      I understand what you're saying. I feel that the "box" you refer to is technique, and without it, you lack the ability to think outside of it.

In my personal experience the theory, learning to play in keys, circle of fifths, etc., is what made me into the guitar player I am and that knowledge of theory gives you that ability to think outside of the box as you refer to it.

absolutely

learning established musical theory boxes you in?
                      i mean really? that can't be the mindset of somebody who has actually studied the stuff..

that's like saying that a man of science need not go to college
                      or a lawyer need not study the law...

Comment

Working...
                      X