No announcement yet.

Is it me or.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Beiber is actually very talented, hate to say it but the kid can sing, dance and plays like 3 instruments but aside from that, his music is terrible.

As far as me growing old and not knowing what is "cool", that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about QUALITY and that's something that never goes out of style.

I will tell you a little story about Led Zepellin. One of my homeboys growing up was this gigantic black dude named Rashad. We were super close, we were like brothers actually, before the whole black and brown nonsense happened in LA.

Anyway, one day we were in a record shop (yes records, the ones made of vinyl) and he was in the rock section. Now mind you he never listens to anything but hardcore rap (this was the early 90's). I walk over to him and say "Shad, what the hell you lookin at homie?" he turns to me and says, "Led Zepellin, stair way to heaven is the **** man".

Good music is good music and will stand the test of time. I can wait 100 years and Led Zep holds up, as well as Stevie Wonder, it's just really good art.

Can you say the same thing about Lil Wayne or Katie Perry? I don't think so, and it has nothing to do with me being old. I know I'm not cool being in my 30's, the next generation dresses in a way I find stupid as fuk but I get that I'm just past it. Yet I still see young kids listening to Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest and Miles Davis. Kids that understand and appreciate really good music.

That **** never goes out of style.
    Why are you comparing Led Zep to Katie Perry?

You keep comparing pop stars to atg musical artists.

I'm looking at the billboard top 100 in 1971 and 2000 and I don't see a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post

I'm looking at the billboard top 100 in 1971 and 2000 and I don't see a difference.
      Because I'm searching for the Led Zepellin of todays music and I can't find it. Let me know who will stand the test of time then in todays music, I still can't get an answer.

Comment

Because I'm searching for the Led Zepellin of todays music and I can't find it. Let me know who will stand the test of time then in todays music, I still can't get an answer.
        Idk why you're looking at the pop charts to find them. Led Zepellin never had a number 1 hit.

Skrillex, Radiohead, Eminem I don't really listen to much of todays music so I can't comment but those are obvious one off the top of my head.
        Last edited by Konstantin; 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i don't watch the new movies (made a typo that said i watched ten new ones in the last year, it's probably 10 new movies in the last five years. maybe ten.)

i'd like to see your list. i'm not being a jackass or trying to "serve you" ( )

i love great movies. sue me, lol.

i've seen some decent foreign flicks from the last two or three years.

there will be blood, the kings speech, and no country for old men were terrific american movies

the kings speech doesn't really speak to me the way the other two did, but it's a damn good movie.
          Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
          i agree with new england, show me the movies
          i could do with some great movies when im bored and need to pass the time
          i can't be bothered to sit here and literally name fifty films off the top of my head, but i will list some:

shame; once upon a time in anatolia; the turin horse; michael; jiro dreams of sushi; into the abyss; polisse; holy motors; my joy; bullhead; take shelter; a separation; !vivan las antipodas!; tyrannosaur; senna; faust; the kid with the bike; le havre; house of tolerance; love; tabu; outside satan; moonrise kingdom; just the wind; in another country; melancholia; killing them softly; the skin i live in; martha marcy may marlene; pina.

Comment

Beiber is actually very talented, hate to say it but the kid can sing, dance and plays like 3 instruments but aside from that, his music is terrible.

As far as me growing old and not knowing what is "cool", that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about QUALITY and that's something that never goes out of style.

I will tell you a little story about Led Zepellin. One of my homeboys growing up was this gigantic black dude named Rashad. We were super close, we were like brothers actually, before the whole black and brown nonsense happened in LA.

Anyway, one day we were in a record shop (yes records, the ones made of vinyl) and he was in the rock section. Now mind you he never listens to anything but hardcore rap (this was the early 90's). I walk over to him and say "Shad, what the hell you lookin at homie?" he turns to me and says, "Led Zepellin, stair way to heaven is the **** man".

Good music is good music and will stand the test of time. I can wait 100 years and Led Zep holds up, as well as Stevie Wonder, it's just really good art.

Can you say the same thing about Lil Wayne or Katie Perry? I don't think so, and it has nothing to do with me being old. I know I'm not cool being in my 30's, the next generation dresses in a way I find stupid as fuk but I get that I'm just past it. Yet I still see young kids listening to Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest and Miles Davis. Kids that understand and appreciate really good music.

That **** never goes out of style.

lol that's because you have to let time pass by.

i was a teen in the 90s and listened to alice in chains, nirvana, stone temple pilots, & soundgarden.

I think their music is timeless and still being listened to today and their music is still held in regard.

you're asking who is the led zeppelin of this era, well you have to wait and see what their staying power is. how long and influential their music is for the upcoming generation.

Whose to say people that listen to wayne now and are fans dont feel the same way that you do about pac or biggie? and how would you know how future generations of music listeners would feel about wayne, adele, the black keys, corrine bailey rae, rihanna, and music from this generation?

maybe they like it and hold it in high regard as led zeppelin? & why are you comparing everyone to led zeppelin? you act as if every musical act after zep has just been as good as them. they are atgs. its ok to be not as good as them.

i reckon 50 cent, jay z, beyonce, eminem might have some staying power and will be listened to by future generations.

you dont know and will have to let the passage of time pass by and see which of this generation's music stand the test of time.
            Last edited by The Tase; 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and that skill is subjective. The ability to produce harmony and melody is just that, an ability. To rate someone's skill in producing harmony and melody is when it becomes subjective.
              No. The ability to produce harmony and melody has degrees that are objectively real.

The fact that person A has a greater ability to control her vocal pitch than person B is not subjective, it is measurable.

"Skill" is the combination of natural aptitude and training. The result is a particular individual's level of technical proficiency, which again is measurable, and it is upon that platform that artistic expression takes place (which is subjective).
              Last edited by res; 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Idk why you're looking at the pop charts to find them. Led Zepellin never had a number 1 hit.
                Perhaps not but they had 6 or so number 1 albums, and their concerts were also breaking attendance records in the 1970's

To say that Led Zeppelin wasn't a significant force in music during that period is simply revisionism in the extreme. What we are looking for are some current artists that are as high profile as Zeppelin was (no more no less) who are just as good.

Well let's put it like this, for some reason this era seemed to produce a whole lot more atg's then the present. I'll do the same thing with the 70's that I did with the 80's. Give me a list of popular artists from the last decade that you think match up well with the artists listed below. And it just won't do to say that you don't know modern music because If you don't, you can't make the kinds of claims you are attempting to make in comparing the quality of the music of each era. The artists that you list for me should be at least as popular as the artists below were in their day..

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Eric Clapton

The Who

The Doors

Fleetwood Mac

Van Morrison

Earth Wind and Fire

Credence Clearwater Revival

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye
                Last edited by res; 11-23-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  You sure about that?

Aww man why'd he stop, I was getting into it.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                    No. The ability to produce harmony and melody has degrees that are objectively real.

The fact that person A has a greater ability to control her vocal pitch than person B is not subjective, it is measurable.

"Skill" is the combination of natural aptitude and training. The result is a particular individual's level of technical proficiency, which again is measurable, and it is upon that platform that artistic expression takes place (which is subjective).
                    A persons ability to execute certain skills that are 'musical' has never been a great measure of artistic ability and thank god for that. Otherwise there would be no creativity involved.

Do you know there's a record for fastest picking in guitar? Do you know who holds that record? Me neither. Cause no one cares to what degree a person has the ability to control their hands and fingers to be the fastest player, or for that matter the best singer.
                    Technical proficiency is a tiny factor in determining musical greatness.
                    Last edited by Konstantin; 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Perhaps not but they had 6 or so number 1 albums, and their concerts were also breaking attendance records in the 1970's

To say that Led Zeppelin wasn't a significant force in music during that period is simply revisionism in the extreme. What we are looking for are some current artists that are as high profile as Zeppelin was (no more no less) who are just as good.
                      I already listed several modern artists that easily fit into that. Radiohead, Eminem, Skrillex, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Jack White, Tool, Adele, SOAD I don't even listen to recent music.

Well let's put it like this, for some reason this era seemed to produce a whole lot more atg's then the present. I'll do the same thing with the 70's that I did with the 80's. Give me a list of popular artists from the last decade that you think match up well with the artists listed below. And it just won't do to say that you don't know modern music because If you don't, you can't make the kinds of claims you are attempting to make in comparing the quality of the music of each era. The artists that you list for me should be at least as popular as the artists below were in their day..

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Eric Clapton

The Who

The Doors

Fleetwood Mac

Van Morrison

Earth Wind and Fire

Credence Clearwater Revival

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye
                      If you can't think of any modern musicians that are close to their levels than you yourself don't know enough about modern music to make any claims.

And all these people that you listed were never even close to the most technically proficient at their craft.
                      Last edited by Konstantin; 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X