Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your reflections on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    I have read a few books on what lead up to developing the bomb and what happened after we dropped it.

America and the world did not know what was really going to happen and how devastating it would be. The technology was new and they didn't even know if it would work the way it was supposed to.

Also invading Japan was going to be a lot more deaths. They also did not know if Germany had developed the bomb and wanted to beat them to getting it.

It was just a different time then.
    The germans had surrendered nearly 4 months before Hiroshima.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      TS, what would have done??? If it was the wrong call, what was the right one in your opinion???
      As I've already said, I'm not talking about the logistical nature of events (though this was the first and only time in human history nuclear weapons have been used in war) I'm talking about the moral implications.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        American won the war against Germany, don't forget. It hadn't even really started before they got involved.

Comment

LOL, yes but the development of the bomb didn't take 4 months.....

It was in the work for years and they didn't know if the Germans were close or not themselves. I actually just finished reading a book on it about 6 months ago. Very interesting how little they really know as far as the true effects on a human population and whether or not the Germans were as far as they were in developing it.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            American won the war against Germany, don't forget. It hadn't even really started before they got involved.
            Some people would agree on that...

Comment

Some people would agree on that...
              It's a fact. They invented the internet as well. True story.

As for the topic, imagine if Mikkel Kessler was flying Enola Gay...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                LOL, yes but the development of the bomb didn't take 4 months.....

It was in the work for years and they didn't know if the Germans were close or not themselves. I actually just finished reading a book on it about 6 months ago. Very interesting how little they really know as far as the true effects on a human population and whether or not the Germans were as far as they were in developing it.
                I know, but since Germany was defeated its not like there was any chance whatsoever of the germans getting nukes before the US.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                  It's a fact. They invented the internet as well. True story.

As for the topic, imagine if Mikkel Kessler was flying Enola Gay...
                  He'd probably be on the receiving end of a kamikaze headbutt.

Danny Williams on the other hand .... He'd retire those japs for centuries.
                  Last edited by BattlingNelson; 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I know, but since Germany was defeated its not like there was any chance whatsoever of the germans getting nukes before the US.

Yes but since the development was in works for years and the threat was around the same time, that piece of information you posted is really inconsequential.

The bomb was rushed because of that perceived threat. Whether or not the Germans surrendered at that time didn't matter because the U.S had already developed it.

Comment

should have dropped it on england too.

feckin wankers.

Comment

Working...
                      X