Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another shooting rampage. 3 dead, multiple injured in Wisconsin.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    You confuse me with somebody who is arguing gun control. I'm not, nor have I argued for gun control in many years.

The truth is that it's a lost issue constitutionally, as you noted. It's also a lost issue on a practical level because it's something that should've been enacted into law when gun ownership was in it's infancy. However, our so called 'leaders' failed us, and in doing so Americans fell in love with the concept of being a gun owner. As gun ownership evolved over the years it became less and less an issue about opposing tyranny and more and more an issue of "personal protection".

Gun control in America is a dead issue. Gun control in America has failed. The debate has long been over - The pro gun crowd won, and as a direct result of their victory the rest of us (the sensible ones) are now forced to live in the society that they advocated for : A society in which anybody, anywhere, can now be the victim of senseless gun violence.

The cold reality of the situation is that we now live in a nation that is literally saturated with guns and victimization is inevitable. The best you can do is hope that it never happens to you.
    I cannot disagree in any way ...

That's why it should be a strict requirement that everyone seeking to purchase, own or use a firearm, undergo a full psychological evaluation annually. I'm not into the legalese, that would work here, but the idea makes sense and it is one that does not go against any rights or laws governing gun ownership. And that is the happy medium IMHO, stop the crazies as much as possible from touching guns in any way, shape or form.

Then we would only have to worry about the Black-Market gun runner's and underground distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
      I cannot disagree in any way ...

That's why it should be a strict requirement that everyone seeking to purchase, own or use a firearm, undergo a full psychological evaluation annually. I'm not into the legalese, that would work here, but the idea makes sense and it is one that does not go against any rights or laws governing gun ownership. And that is the happy medium IMHO, stop the crazies as much as possible from touching guns in any way, shape or form.

Then we would only have to worry about the Black-Market gun runner's and underground distribution.
      Most gun murders arent by these "crazies" who legally own a gun tho

Comment

I think a psychological evaluation could definitely be beneficial in helping weed out some of the less than desirable gun owners out there, but I don't think it would make a very significant impact as far as lowering the amount of victims is concerned.

Granted there are those who are very methodical and calculating in planning out their attacks like Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, and James Holmes were in plotting their attacks. But a psychological profile would do nothing to stop someone like Charles Starkweather, or, more likely, a random stranger, from waking up one day and deciding on a whim to amass a body count.

Even less likely to be stopped by a psychological profile would be those associated with gangs or the underworld gun market, or those who simply purchase their guns illegally, as you've already pointed out.

It's a step in the right direction, but overall victimization will never cease until Americans are willing to stand up for those who have lost their lives.
        Last edited by ßringer; 10-21-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

From a long time gun owner, I will answer that question, from my perspective.

I started out with firearms @14 when I used to hunt with my father and have been an avid and responsible gun enthusiast ever since. I no longer hunt, but I do participate in long range rifle shooting and short range pistol shooting. The challenge and goal for me is to ultimately be as accurate and effective as possible engaging targets at various distances out to 1K yards. I go to and am a member of several ranges, I shoot on average bi-weekly and I have passed several firearm training and tactical courses.
          For me it is a SPORT ONLY, and as many like myself can attest to, a very challenging one especially when you're calculating wind, distance, trajectory, temp etc ... at distances.
          I have yet to use the skill I have gained to harm\kill or even injure any living things -- with the exception of when and how I got my start.
          !

Reading about horrible events like the one that happened recently is disturbing, especially when firearms were the tool used to cause harm.

As I have stated on many occasions, these incidents can be and in most cases are directly related to some form of mental instability. For, the agenda-based ignorant to constantly cry out for gun control whenever incidents such as this occurs is completely absurd. Because that mindset dismisses the fact that even without a gun, this person would have used some other tool to carry out his intentions.

We need more than anything, a more effective way of dealing with mental illness, because at the root of every one of these incidents, where an individual assaults in mass, there can be found a distortion of one's take on reality, and or some propensity for vengeance\violence.

The Tool is a means to an end, and banning the tool does nothing to address the root cause of the problem, and never will.

Exercising vague regulations under the guise of of gun control without considering the end user is ignorant and pointless, and will only cause a shift in the tools used by these mentally disturbed individuals.

Its not the tool, its the individual!!!
          Interesting to get you're thoughts.

Of course there are some people who would like all guns to be banned.

I won't go into it too much, but in an ideal world (which we don't live in obviously) I don't necessarily disagree.

However regarding the rational approach, many would simply like to see more regulations. For instance, addressing the so-called 'gun show loop hole', by which people are enabled to buy guns without background checks. Also, stricter checks. Further, stiffer regulations on the sorts of things that are available to be sold. For example, do you require a 35 round clip for your short distance target shooting? Stiffer controls of this sort would in fact further legitimize responsible gun owners such as yourself.

And guns are very effective tools for committing mass murder. In Japan for instance, I recall one time when a bunch of kindergarteners were stabbed in an elementary school by a janitor, and a year or two ago, a guy ran a delivery truck into a crowd of people in the Akihabara district of Tokyo. But it is much easier to kill a bunch of people with a gun(s), as opposed to other "tools". And we possess the body counts to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
            I'm only one person so I can't speak about gun control on a societal level. I have personally experienced the fear of a barrel being held to my head and my life being at the whim of another man; so I speak from bias when I say that anyone still living in the delusion that the "problem" with gun control in western society is as simple as some law makers saying "No one is allowed to have them" can seriously go get phucked.
            You kinda missed my point, but okay.

When I say "on a personal level", I'm referring to myself.

To note, and this isn't at all why I don't wish to own a gun but is an example, I had a friend who unsuccessfully attempted suicide once, with a gun. He shot himself in the head, but his brother grabbed the gun and it only grazed him, and he was unharmed aside from a permanent scar. He promptly got rid of all his guns.

Comment

To a degree, true ... But, here is the most damning point against:

The USA was established as a nation with a consideration for gun ownership at its foundation. Sure, it was for the purpose of "We the people" to never lose control of their government, but still it is at the very foundation. And a very important one, because it was strategically placed as the second of all the amendments.

Regardless, of how evil things are turning out in this millennium -- This nation was built and maintained throughout history with firearms alongside.
              It was a clause for the maintenance of a militia, in actuality.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                It was a clause for the maintenance of a militia, in actuality.
                Yeah, I kinda paraphrased that to mean that its there to keep control and power in the hands of the people.

"maintenance of a militia" to ultimately do what, and against whom?

To keep the general populace, secure against tyranny, invasion, and crime. The amendment gives that militia {every able bodied man} the right to fight against a tyrannical govt. that would attempt to impose a dictatorship upon US citizens, to fight against invasion from external enemies, and to protect citizens from crimes committed by forces internal and external.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  You kinda missed my point, but okay.

When I say "on a personal level", I'm referring to myself.

To note, and this isn't at all why I don't wish to own a gun but is an example, I had a friend who unsuccessfully attempted suicide once, with a gun. He shot himself in the head, but his brother grabbed the gun and it only grazed him, and he was unharmed aside from a permanent scar. He promptly got rid of all his guns.
                  I just picked that one point to picket at.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
                    Detailed article and photo of one of the other victims here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-himself.html
                    Really sad story, dude seemed to enter the spa blasting

Damn!!!

Look at what they rolled on scene with ...

Comment

Really sad story, dude seemed to enter the spa blasting

Damn!!!

Look at what they rolled on scene with ...

damn, did they bring tanks to?

Comment

Working...
                      X