Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just had a nice piece of Mackerel.........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
    Yeah west coast has good seafood.
    I lived in Oregon basically my entire life (except a summer in San Fran), before coming to Japan. Mostly in the Ashland area, though for a short time in Portland. In the Ashland area, the fish is fairly fresh, but not incredibly so. Portland is great of course. All along the Oregon coast is pretty nice for some things, especially crab and cod , or whatever you can catch yourself. Not so much variety in the stores along the southern coast though from what I've seen, unfortunately.

Comment

Also muscles. Just go into the water with a decent sized knife and pry them off the rocks, always going for the medium sized ones. And clams, though I never really learned how to catch them correctly (the concept is simple, look for the wholes when the tied goes out and dig, preferably with a clam shovel, just never learned how to do it properly so that it actually works a decent percent of the time, haha).
      Last edited by Drunken Cat; 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
        I lived in Oregon basically my entire life (except a summer in San Fran), before coming to Japan. Mostly in the Ashland area, though for a short time in Portland. In the Ashland area, the fish is fairly fresh, but not incredibly so. Portland is great of course. All along the Oregon coast is pretty nice for some things, especially crab and cod , or whatever you can catch yourself. Not so much variety in the stores along the southern coast though from what I've seen, unfortunately.
        I lived in Portland for 2 years and loved it.

Comment

One more note on the red gurnard, as it is an interesting fish (I love going to the Japanese super market and finding some random fish which I have know idea what it is, and then gutting it and broiling it in the way I described).

I did a youtube search on the fish after I ate it out of curiosity, and found this very cool video of how to skin and fillet them. I'm not sure if this species is identical to the one I ate, but it's practically the same fish. The one I had is the houbou (ほうぼう) in Japanese. Again, practically identical, if not identical.

Comment

I think it's time for me to buy a boning knife. These two look nice.

The first one's a little cheaper. But the second one is made in Japan, which some how makes it seem cooler (with respect to knives I mean). The first one's German I believe. Both seem good like quality.

Comment

I found another one which was the same model as the first one but listed differently on Amazon which was just a little bit more expensive than the second one, and so I just ordered the Japanese one. Looks like I'll be eating more red gurnard soon. Gotta practice.

That, or tomorrow I'll change my mind and cancel the order, lol.

Nah, I won't cancel. I should get a knife collection going. Would be great to learn how to work with fish properly. I think youtube gives the answers as to how.

Comment

I see this thread is about fish. Count me in.

EDIT: and knife? I'm out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                  I see this thread is about fish. Count me in.

EDIT: and knife? I'm out of here.
                  I'm looking for a fillet knife now, but the only ones I find on amazon.co.jp are either of the cheap knockoff variety, or are more than I want to spend. Maybe I'll check with the kitchen goods shop in my neighborhood, might be a better bet for a fillet knife.

Comment

salmon lyfe

Comment

Anybody ever eat fish like this? Look's cruel to me I couldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X