Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Homeowner Arrested After Suspected Burglars Shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are bad at managing risks. What do you do if someone breaks into your house? Leave the house. If you leave buddy crim knows something: The clock is ticking. As soon as you leave the scene help is coming.

Some things are counter-intuitive. If you're home alone with your child and buddy gets a knife to their throat and says "Stay where you are" what's the best thing to do? Leave. Get help. If he was going to kill your kid he will do it anyway, and failing to get help gives him more time to do it.

You have help on the way and the criminals are not sticking around.

And as mentioned the rate of violent crime is considerably lower in countries where guns are not everywhere. So please, yanks, stop giving advice on what to do about violent crime.

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
      Or, do nothing and stay upstairs. As they come up they spot your children, hear the commotion and fear that your wife has because they've gone in their room. They hear it, now I do what you say and decide to take matters in my own hand. Shot one, but the other kills me, and the inevitable happens either way.

I would much rather take my chances by surprising them and shooting first instead of being a coward and hiding in a closet or something. If they don't see me then I have a better chance at protecting them instead of them hearing footsteps, a TV or voices of my children and letting them know people are inside.

My family's lives comes first no matter what and in a situation such as a break in, that's not an exemption. My apologies if I can't see it as you
      You rather turn most probably just a burglary into a 100% life and death situation. That just sounds completely ******ed to me.

Comment

That's the thing though: You suggest to these Rambo idiots that they leave the house in order to be safe and all of a sudden it's "Well why should I leave MY house!?"

Because it's the safest course of action. Your stuff is just stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
          You rather turn most probably just a burglary into a 100% life and death situation. That just sounds completely ******ed to me.
          What you aren't understanding is that even in you're scenario its only a probable burglary when one simply isn't sure. My children's lives supersedes any probability of a burglary, rape or murder in a time of danger.

Now I'll digress from our back & forth posts. We'll just agree to disagree

Comment

NOBODY should be arrested for shooting a burglar.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              People are bad at managing risks. What do you do if someone breaks into your house? Leave the house. If you leave buddy crim knows something: The clock is ticking. As soon as you leave the scene help is coming.

Some things are counter-intuitive. If you're home alone with your child and buddy gets a knife to their throat and says "Stay where you are" what's the best thing to do? Leave. Get help. If he was going to kill your kid he will do it anyway, and failing to get help gives him more time to do it.

You have help on the way and the criminals are not sticking around.

And as mentioned the rate of violent crime is considerably lower in countries where guns are not everywhere. So please, yanks, stop giving advice on what to do about violent crime.
              Squeal, your a smart guy. I don't agree with everything you say but I have to admit this one made me laugh.

You guys are creating hypotheticals and nothing more. You can't just "leave the house" what if you line in an apt, that's 3 stories up? What if you live in a town house where there's only one entrance?

I mean, come on, we are creating every viable option except the one that will save your life or the people you love. If you violate the sanctity of someone's home and have the audacity to break into their house, sorry but you deserve what you get.

This world is crazy, you read about horrible things happening to people all the time. Just last week here in Ft Lauderdale, a man kidnapped a woman and raped, sodomized and tortured her for 3 days before he murdered her. They did the same thing to a Haitian woman who was there with her son and he watched 3 men do that to her.

You break into my home and I'm shooting you. Sorry, there's no debate, speculation, wondering, talking or anything else when it comes to the safety of my family and myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                The smartest approach would be to stay upstairs in any situation.
                And if you don't have an upstairs home?

Or if your children are downstairs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Squeal, your a smart guy. I don't agree with everything you say but I have to admit this one made me laugh.

You guys are creating hypotheticals and nothing more. You can't just "leave the house" what if you line in an apt, that's 3 stories up? What if you live in a town house where there's only one entrance?
                  The guy in the news story doesn't. And he already acknowledged that the police were on their way. I think we'll see a bit more to this story.

I mean, come on, we are creating every viable option except the one that will save your life or the people you love. If you violate the sanctity of someone's home and have the audacity to break into their house, sorry but you deserve what you get.
                  You think the crime of burglary should carry the death penalty?

"If you violate the sanctity of someone's home and have the audacity to break into their house, sorry but you deserve what you get." is not the language of a lawful citizen in genuine fear of their lives. Precisely what I mean when I say that people who defend indiscriminate murder of people on their property change the focus from self defense to vengeance.

This world is crazy, you read about horrible things happening to people all the time. Just last week here in Ft Lauderdale, a man kidnapped a woman and raped, sodomized and tortured her for 3 days before he murdered her. They did the same thing to a Haitian woman who was there with her son and he watched 3 men do that to her.
                  All those guns and there are still horrible crimes that take place? And they take place with greater frequency than in relatively gun-free Britain?

Perhaps the guns aren't making anyone safer.

You break into my home and I'm shooting you. Sorry, there's no debate, speculation, wondering, talking or anything else when it comes to the safety of my family and myself.
                  The guy saw smoke coming from your basement, banged on the door then kicked it in. His life blood leaks out on the floor, the blood of the man who saved your lives and the lives of your family.

Comment

So, if I'm understanding most of the posts here, the best move, when a burglar\rapist\killer enters your home, is to vacate as quickly and safely as possible?!?!

It today's society, that is called a "MARK". You vacate your home under these circumstances and you can count on being a target again and again and again.

This is exactly why the Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law was introduced.

No one should have to leave their home to be safe, the home is where family safety begins and ends. And every man, woman and child, should be allowed to do whatever is necessary to keep that home safe. If it includes engaging someone who has chosen to violate that "safe space" then so be it!

The burglar\rapist\killer had a choice and he chose to violate a families safe space, therefore he should suffer the consequences for that action. PERIOD!!!!!!!

This is a cruel and evil world we live in, no man or woman should ever be forced to capitulate to a burglar\rapist\killer, especially in their home.

Comment

I have lived in both the States and the UK and can see both points of view. If I was in the States and a guy broke into my house I would take the threat much more seriously than if I was in the UK. The intruder would much more likely be armed and would also have a greater understanding that he could be shot by the householder. That is a much more dangerous animal than a UK burgler who would most likely not be armed and would not expect to be shot.
                      Last edited by Isaac Hunt; 09-03-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X