Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Games Thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much sport to choose from! 24 channels!

Why have they took the scoreboard out of the Boxing coverage though? Makes amateur Boxing a lot less exciting not having the scoreboard imo.

Anyone know what's happening with the Tennis schedule as well? More play on Centre Court?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
      So much sport to choose from! 24 channels!

Why have they took the scoreboard out of the Boxing coverage though? Makes amateur Boxing a lot less exciting not having the scorecard IMO.
      this.

The points being visible is a great thing to have. I want to see who gets points and for which shots. Even a close fight builds excitement knowing there only one or two points in it.

Comment

• they aren't showing my gymnastics wtf-sauce?

swimming, rowing.... but no jordyn weiber? c'mon nbc, you fukin up.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          they aren't showing my gymnastics wtf-sauce?

The gymnastics finished about 3 hours ago I think.

Comment

• Not showing the points is good. It affects your scorecard.

Comment

• Originally posted by BooHoo View Post
              I didn't say it outdid the Chinese. I say the Chinese is overrated.

Those things you pointed out were distinctly British humour, but the subtleties such as the ship that first bought in blacks etc... are part of the history. Aesthetically it was not as good as the Chinese for sure, but for example the impressive opening was great, but it fooled people with fake fireworks which was a great start:

Was it real? Was it faked? Does it matter? Chinese netizens are debating the computer simulated special effects used for one of high points of the Olympic opening ceremony, the footprints of fire that "stepped" from Tiananmen Square to the Bird's Nest stadium.

Although the procession of fireworks actually took place, it was deemed too difficult and dangerous to film, so billions of viewers were treated instead to a computer-generated film of what it might look like.

Many of those watching were unaware that the effect was expensively "faked" until the Beijing Times reported the following day that only the last of the 29 footprints was actually filmed during the live broadcast.

The newspaper revealed that Crystal Stone - a local production company - had spent almost a year creating the 55-second sequence for the other 28 steps, including efforts to capture the slight shake of a camera on a helicopter and the blurring effect of haze.

Olympic organisers said the decision was necessary for safety reasons, because a helicopter might have been vulnerable to all the fireworks let off that night and it would have been hard to capture the entire route from a single location.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...pics2008.china

The display inside was very good. However again it was not deeper. To us British we understand what the NHS is for example, because pretty much all of our family use the service and they save lives. I am just trying to say that those small things, foreigners won't understand like how we do.

I agree that the dancing was not that great, but again it represented era and transition. Transition from green farmlands to industrial revolution using references from Dr Who and the Tardis. It gave props to some achievements like our great tradition of good selling books for children while giving props to the NHS or Great Ormond street hospital for kids, and then contribution to the music industry with various dances for various genres and era's. Former medalists to our future athletes with the flame where the design was pretty cool because each country had a copper piece and it built up to one torch. We did this with humour and spent less than 4 times than the Chinese for their Olympics. The IOC chief even said we did it with a sustainable attitude in mind, which is great when a lot of countries are suffering financially.

I guess no one else has to like it, I do and I rate it well. It actually had good flow and wasn't just a bunch of well shaped people jumping around, dancing, looking in great formation etc... but each thing had a purpose and a reason to it.

that's more excuses than a pacquiao fan after a marquez fight.

"if you watch it in slow motion (and in the the phillipines,) manny won."

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                they aren't showing my gymnastics wtf-sauce?

nbc coverage sucks balls. i see more commercials than actual events. & when they finally decide to show games, its crappy fake sports like rowing or cycling.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                  that's more excuses than a pacquiao fan after a marquez fight.

"if you watch it in slow motion (and in the the phillipines,) manny won."
                  OK American, stick to your car that can go fast straight, but can't turn or drive on a wet road.

Comment

• How to impress people.

Make a 3D fake fireworks display that is long and looks stunning to start off.

Then get a million peasants to learn to walk, dance or whatever in co-ordination.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                      So much sport to choose from! 24 channels!

Why have they took the scoreboard out of the Boxing coverage though? Makes amateur Boxing a lot less exciting not having the scoreboard imo.

Anyone know what's happening with the Tennis schedule as well? More play on Centre Court?
                      I know, I want to see the card live during the right. It's not like live pro boxing where you "keep a scorecard". Amateurs are scored different, what are you gonna do, keep count of punches landed? Ive tried that and had guys landing like 15 punches in a round and the scores were like 5-4

Comment

Working...
                      X