Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google says some Apple inventions are so great they ought to be shared

Google says some Apple inventions are so great they ought to be shared
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 · 11:30 am · 48 Comments

“In attempting to fend off Apple and Microsoft’s suits against Motorola Mobility and advancing its own patent litigation against both companies, Google, which is facing a lot of regulatory scrutiny in the U.S. and abroad over what some allege is abuse of SEPs [standards-essential patents], has been arguing that proprietary non-standardized technologies that become ubiquitous due to their popularity with consumers should be considered de facto standards,” John Paczkowski reports for AllThingsD.

“Google’s view is that just as there are patents that are standards essential, there are also patents that are commercially essential — patents that cover features that are so popular as to have become ubiquitous. The latter are just as ripe for abuse as the former, and withholding them is just as harmful to consumers and the competitive marketplace. Viewed through that lens, multitouch technology or slide-to-unlock might be treated the same way as an industry standard patent on, say, a smartphone radio,” Paczkowski reports. “This argument, of course, has massive implications for Apple, which has developed a treasure trove of what might be considered by some as commercially essential IP around the iPhone and iPad. And the company was quick to take severe exception to it. In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, Apple General Counsel Bruce Sewell rebutted Walker’s argument. ‘That a proprietary technology becomes quite popular does not transform it into a ‘standard’ subject to the same legal constraints as true standards,’ he wrote.”

Paczkowski reports, “Apple’s point is that if you remove the IP distinctions between the two, you remove a key incentive for innovators to innovate. Apple spent billions in research and development to create the iPhone. It didn’t spend that money to create the iPhone’s competition. And this is a point Apple and CEO Tim Cook have hammered home again and again, since the smartphone IP Hundred Years War began.”

Much more in the full article – highly recommended – here.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer
    (photo by Brigitte Lacombe)

MacDailyNews Take: You know, Google’s search algorithmns have proven to be quite popular. If Google really believes their bull****, they should welcome Yahoo’s immediate implementation of those search algorithmns at the hands of new Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, who, as a former Googler (employee #20), must be quite familiar with the tech.

After all, Google’s search algorithmns seem to be commercially essential and withholding them is harmful to the competitive marketplace. Bing should be also to use them, too. Excite, even.

Comment

I guess MS should sue Apple for copying the look of their tablet huh.

Comment

Samsung Galaxy SIII > Iphone

Comment

Originally posted by BooHoo View Post
          I guess MS should sue Apple for copying the look of their tablet huh.

Hahaha.......You're funny! MS never produced their own tablet before Apple, but PC manufacturers did and MS put windoze on them. In any case Apple would have ended up with a flop if they copied their tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by iBreakbeat View Post
            Hahaha.......You're funny! MS never produced their own tablet before Apple, but PC manufacturers did and MS put windoze on them. In any case Apple would have ended up with a flop if they copied their tablets.
            Android already starting to eat up IOS, watch it grow and grow!

Comment

Originally posted by Thor-Odinson View Post
              Samsung Galaxy SIII > Iphone

As an owner of the iPhone 4S with a wife who has the s3 i will say i agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by iBreakbeat View Post

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer
                (photo by Brigitte Lacombe)
                Don't care about apple or google or all that ****.. Even though I do own an iPhone and iPad... But this chick can get it...

Comment

Andriod owner

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
                  Don't care about apple or google or all that ****.. Even though I do own an iPhone and iPad... But this chick can get it...

agreed

Comment

what a surprise YET ANOTHER dailymac link from breakbeat.

I like how the title reads "apple inventions" yet Steve Jobs has said numerous times "we're not trying re-invent the wheel, we just want to make it better"

Apple hasn't invented CRAP! They stole a lot of their ideas! and they have lost plenty of lawsuits because of it.

Funny thing is probably 70% of the patents Apple holds are patents they purchased from the TRUE people how came up with the idea

Comment

Working...
                    X